dive ops east of Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_n_tacoma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I didn't find a post on this. I will be in Orlando end of April to early May 08 and I'm looking to get 2-3 days worth of diving in. I'm thinking east coast, boat dives, somewhere east (NE-SE) of Orlando. I'd like to avoid driving more than a few hours. Any ideas on operators would be most appreciated.

Tom

Hi All,

I didn't find a post on this. I will be in Orlando end of April to early May 08 and I'm looking to get 2-3 days worth of diving in. I'm thinking east coast, boat dives, somewhere east (NE-SE) of Orlando. I'd like to avoid driving more than a few hours. Any ideas on operators would be most appreciated.

Tom

Once you're past Jupiter headed north, the next dive operation is Sea Dog Divers in Daytona Beach (New Smyrna Beach to be exact). It's an hour from Orlando.

Jupiter is an hour and 45 minutes, Palm Beach just over two hours, and Boynton Beach is about two and a half hours.

Depends what kind of diving you are looking for, but here are my recommendations. Others will have favorite boats and all of them are very good. In order of Closest to farthest from Orlando.

Blue Springs/Orange City - 45 minutes North - Simple fresh water spring head, 60 feet to the sign, but can go deeper. It is currently closed till about April 1st to divers because of the manatees, but since you are coming around May you should be good.

New Smyrna/Daytona - 90 minutes north - Sea Dogs, usually a couple of wreck dives to about 16 miles out, can hunt, viz is tough for photogs.

Jupiter - 2 hours south - Jupiter Dive Center ,,Big Big fish, lots of sharks, plenty of hunting. Definetely W/A for photogs, My personal favorite!

West Palm Beach - 2hrs 15mins south - Too many OPs but I like Pura Vida & Narcosis, & Abernathy's JASA. Fantastic photography location, great viz, nice soft corals, hunting not typically encouraged. Nice wreck system also.

Boynton/Lantana - 2hrs 30mins south - I like Dive Charters Inc and Starfish,,Great reef system for macro photogs, some very unusual finds on this reef section.

Boca - 2hrs 45mins south - Diversity boat is my choice here, Capt Tony is just about the best on putting you on what you ask him to see.

Pompano/FLL - 3 hrs south - Too many OPs and I'm not a frequent diver of these spots, but for hunting I like Capt Conrad on Miss Conduct(6pk), A mandatory/must stop visit has to be Fill Express to see what a fill station on steriods looks like.

Key Largo - 5 or 6hrs depending on traffic - I won't even touch who to use, there's just too many, but that doesn't mean you can just walk on a boat. Make reservations for all the boats.

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

Tom

I live East of Orlando right off of I-4; Alexander & Blue springs fit; also I believe "Seadogs" will be back to running trips out of Ponce Inlet. You can get info on contacting them through Spruce Creek Scuba.
I also recommend traveling toward the Fort Lauderdale area. It is worth the 3 hr drive! There are lots of good charter groups in the area. My favorite is Parrot Island Adventures in Pompano. contact me when you get your dates locked in, I'd be glad to dive with you.

Wanted to say thanks for the info. Looks like I"m going to be in FLA Friday, April 25th, plan on renting a car in Orlando, then heading towards Ft lauderdale until later the following monday, then back to Orlando. I haven't picked a dive op yet but am looking.

Tom

Wanted to say thanks for the info. Looks like I"m going to be in FLA Friday, April 25th, plan on renting a car in Orlando, then heading towards Ft lauderdale until later the following monday, then back to Orlando. I haven't picked a dive op yet but am looking.

Tom

I strongly recommend Parrot Island Adventures in Pompano (very near Ft. L.) Also there are a couple of hotels in Pompano who cater to divers. I'll check my schedule and hopefully will be able to dive with you on Sat. 26th. While in Orlando, I'll be happy to meet with you and dive with you. I usually can do M, Th, F, or Sat. (not all but 1 or two at at time with a little warning). Coming from Washington, if you've never done it, I also recommend Disney's Dive Quest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom