Dive ops that offer 3 tank dives in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watson G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all!

I'm trying to plan a trip to either Grand Caymans or Conzumel in the spring and am currently trying to find a suitable dive op to dive with. Given that I am only able to be in either location for a couple of days and would like to get in as much diving as possible, I've been looking for dive ops that offer 3 tank dives a day. However, after some research I have found most dive ops only do 2 tank dives a day. Does anyone know/have experience diving with ops that offer 3 tank dives in these places? (I'm only interested in ops that doesn't require me to charter the entire boat in order to do 3 tank dives)

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers,
Watson

In Grand Cayman many of the dive ops offer 2-tank dives in the morning and 1 (or 2) tanks in the afternoon and you can arrange a package with them in advance. Compass Point on the East End offers 4 dives per day.

Since your time will be so limited, you might do best at a GC resort with an onsite dive op and house reef and free shore diving included. Take a look at Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, and Sunset House.

Again since your time is so limited, Cobalt Coast might be the best option for you on GC because meals are included, and you can add on a drinks package if you wish. The CCGCR vacations offers include lodgings, meals, 3 boat dives per day, unlimited shore diving on the house reef (weather permitting), hotel service charges and tips, and airport transfers. Dive shop tips and nitrox are extra. See the link below.

Don't forget to add in the "wait to fly" period before booking your return flights. Good luck!

Cobalt Coast

Plenty offer 3-4 and even 5 with a night dive on certain days...should be plenty to select from.

Some dive ops will offer a 3-tank boat dive adventure package but they usually require a minimum number of divers to go out.

Otherwise, you can try and do both morning and afternoon dive sessions as others have suggested.

In Grand Cayman many of the dive ops offer 2-tank dives in the morning and 1 (or 2) tanks in the afternoon and you can arrange a package with them in advance. Compass Point on the East End offers 4 dives per day.

Since your time will be so limited, you might do best at a GC resort with an onsite dive op and house reef and free shore diving included. Take a look at Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, and Sunset House.

Again since your time is so limited, Cobalt Coast might be the best option for you on GC because meals are included, and you can add on a drinks package if you wish. The CCGCR vacations offers include lodgings, meals, 3 boat dives per day, unlimited shore diving on the house reef (weather permitting), hotel service charges and tips, and airport transfers. Dive shop tips and nitrox are extra. See the link below.

Don't forget to add in the "wait to fly" period before booking your return flights. Good luck!

Cobalt Coast

Thanks for the reply, I've reached out to Cobalt Coast and am waiting for their response. From their website it seems as though they only offer 7 night packages, which is sadly longer than I will be aiming to spend in GC. Do you happen to know any other alternative non-resort based dive ops that you would recommend (me and my friends are students, so we would gladly sacrifice some convenience if it allows us to cut back on costs)?

Thanks for the reply, I've reached out to Cobalt Coast and am waiting for their response. From their website it seems as though they only offer 7 night packages, which is sadly longer than I will be aiming to spend in GC. Do you happen to know any other alternative non-resort based dive ops that you would recommend (me and my friends are students, so we would gladly sacrifice some convenience if it allows us to cut back on costs)?

Cobalt Coast also offer custom packages based on the number of days that you can stay, they only advertise the 7 day packages on their website. I am sure that they will get back to you.

Cayman is a pricey destination but there are some options. Take a look at the Grand Caymanian (Holiday Inn) Resort, They have a variety of rooms and suites and breakfast is included, and Dive Tech is the onsite dive op and they will transport you to their dive boats at Lighthouse Point - and you can also shore dive their Lighthouse Point facility.

Sunset House is near the town, and breakfast, boat and shore diving, and airport transfers are included:
https://www.sunsethouse.com/

There are cheaper places to stay on GC, especially if you don't stay near the Seven Mile Beach or George Town, but you may need a car to get around and that adds expense and takes extra time. It's also cheaper if some/all of the meals are included - or if you have the option to prepare some simple meals. Take a look at Paradise Point Apartments at the link below: https://www.paradisepointerentals.com/

Wherever you decide to go, Cayman or Cozumel, make sure you fully understand the pricing when making comparisons. Sometimes there are taxes, resort fees, service charges, and other fees to take into consideration.

Cozumel is usually cheaper than GC, but the reefs are further away, so cheap shore diving isn't usually an option. Other folks have been to Cozumel more recently than me and they will be better able to advise you. Just make sure that you don't stay someplace where you will be spending most of the day on a slow boat heading back and forth to do a couple of dives. The resort and dive op should be closer to the reef and/or have fast boats.

When are you traveling in Spring? Late Winter and early Spring can be peak pricing across the Caribbean because of Easter vacation and Spring Break. If you can travel in late April or early May then prices will be cheaper. Since you are students I am guessing Spring Break, but that's not a cheap time.

Where are you traveling from? Airfares can be a big factor in the cost of a trip and we may be able to offer cheaper destination suggestions.

Cobalt Coast requires 7 nights in their peak season, but aside from that you can stay whatever length you want assuming availability.

Cobalt Coast also offer custom packages based on the number of days that you can stay, they only advertise the 7 day packages on their website. I am sure that they will get back to you.

Cayman is a pricey destination but there are some options. Take a look at the Grand Caymanian (Holiday Inn) Resort, They have a variety of rooms and suites and breakfast is included, and Dive Tech is the onsite dive op and they will transport you to their dive boats at Lighthouse Point - and you can also shore dive their Lighthouse Point facility.

Sunset House is near the town, and breakfast, boat and shore diving, and airport transfers are included:
https://www.sunsethouse.com/

There are cheaper places to stay on GC, especially if you don't stay near the Seven Mile Beach or George Town, but you may need a car to get around and that adds expense and takes extra time. It's also cheaper if some/all of the meals are included - or if you have the option to prepare some simple meals. Take a look at Paradise Point Apartments at the link below: https://www.paradisepointerentals.com/

Wherever you decide to go, Cayman or Cozumel, make sure you fully understand the pricing when making comparisons. Sometimes there are taxes, resort fees, service charges, and other fees to take into consideration.

Cozumel is usually cheaper than GC, but the reefs are further away, so cheap shore diving isn't usually an option. Other folks have been to Cozumel more recently than me and they will be better able to advise you. Just make sure that you don't stay someplace where you will be spending most of the day on a slow boat heading back and forth to do a couple of dives. The resort and dive op should be closer to the reef and/or have fast boats.

When are you traveling in Spring? Late Winter and early Spring can be peak pricing across the Caribbean because of Easter vacation and Spring Break. If you can travel in late April or early May then prices will be cheaper.

Where are you traveling from? Airfares can be a big factor in the cost of a trip and we may be able to offer cheaper destination suggestions.

Thanks for the intel, I'll check out your suggestions. Unfortunately, I am indeed planning to dive during spring break and am trying to reconcile with the higher peak prices. Me and my friend will be flying from either North Carolina or Miami/Fort Lauderdale in Florida (we study in NC but my friend lives in Florida so we can drive down there if flights are cheaper). Our initial choice for choosing Grand Cayman was that it had the cheapest flight from Miami. Other locations during this time had much more unforgiving prices, but then again I'm fairly overwhelmed with choices so I'm pretty sure I would've missed some other alternatives. Any advice on other locations is very much welcomed actually....

If you can manage a longer trip (6 nights) take a look at Blackbeard's Liveaboard Dive trips in the Bahamas. The base price is $995 per person and that's for almost everything including meals, accommodations, rum punch, and up to 19 dives. The accommodations are Spartan but clean, and the reefs are not as good as Cayman or Cozumel but you will see a lot of sharks, turtles, rays, and fish. And you can usually find some decent-priced flight options to Nassau to board the boat.

If you can't manage Blackbeards this trip then keep them in mind for a future dive vacation. My husband and I did a BB cruise when we were young (and poor!) and we got a lot of good diving at a very cheap price. See the link below:

Blackbeard's Cruises Official Website - Bahamas Dive Liveaboards

Wherever you decide to go, don't wait too long to make your reservations. Spring Break is really the busy season across the warmer destinations in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

You could also look at Florida diving options. Rainbow Reef in Key Largo might work for you, see this link:

Key Largo Diving Package Specials | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, Florida Keys

Just a reminder that the water gets warmer the further south you go in the Spring, but you are likely to see fewer sharks in warmer waters.

Cozumel should be more ecconimical and offer almost unlimited choices but no shore diving. Contact Jeanie with Tres Pelicanos and see what kind of package she can but together for you, dive and hotel. They do 2 am and if booked ahead will do 2 pm dives with only two dives. This gives them time to advertise and possibly book additional divers for that trip. Food and transportation on Cozumel are very reasonable.

Scuba Diving Cozumel -Dive Packages-Top Rated Cozumel Dive Shop

dive@trespelicanos.com

I am in NC and can usually find reasonable flights. Flying into Cancun and doing a “bag drag” may also save you some money. Where would you fly from in NC?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom