Dive Report: 23.May Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After making it to the Metridium fields the other day I wanted to show Jeff and Jessica the lineups. Jessica had never seen the fields before either. I assumed it would be a good backup, as we were looking at doing a site next to Butterfly house in Carmel. The swells looked a little too big still so we went back into the bay.

We made the long swim out as usual. I practiced the lineups that Ron had taught me the week before to see if it would work for me. Once I was happy with our lineup I discussed my plan. We would swim out about 40 feet, then swim east another 40 feet then back at 210 degrees until we hit the Metridium. When we dropped down I realized we were in about 70 feet of water. Being that the tide was in I was guessing that was partly why, but we did the pattern, and sure enough we had dropped in about 30 feet past them. Once we got to them we swam around and were checking it all out. There was an unusual number of white with orange spotted nudi’s out. These were also fairly large ones, about 4-5 inches each. There was a ton of fish hanging out in the rocks today as well. We spent probably a little over 20 minutes before we started our way back. Jessica was going through her air a little faster than usual it seemed, because she’s usually pretty close if not a little better than Jeff.

Around 52 feet we swam through this area that was blanketed with these white cigar looking things. When I pointed the light at these things I could see smaller looking eggs inside them. I thought perhaps they may have been squid eggs but wasn’t sure. They continued on for some time. I also noticed there were several lone rocks with 2-3 metridium’s on them as well, just randomly. Jessica’s air was going down way too fast so eventually at one point I asked and she said 600. Only a few minutes before she was at 800. Something was up. We stopped right there next to a stalk of kelp and did a safety stop. We however, lost Jeff. I had assumed he got too buoyant and floated to the surface.

Once we made it up Jeff was about 50 feet closer to shore. When he couldn’t find us he though maybe we had kept going so he went looking for us. All in all it was another awesome dive.

Back on the surface we looked at Jessica’s gear and it turned out that the reg was leaking. It would slowly free flow until you were to exhale a bit. So im going to have to say that’s how she was going through her air so quickly.

Unfortunately for me I could only do one dive today, due to some issues with an instructor and his students on our SI. Apparently one of his students tried to get into his truck with their tank on and it didnt work so well. This put a nice dent however in my car, also they tried a second time and didn’t dent but put a nice scuff on my driver door. So when I confronted this guy he was very defensive and just didn’t care. So I confronted him again, and he went and reenacted it happening. Oddly enough the tank lined up perfectly (except the hight). All his students were short, so it was pretty obvious that someone in his class did it. He even agreed that it lined up, but wouldn’t accept responsibility.

Now I know this dent wasn’t there when I left the house. I also know that before I ran to MBDC it wasnt there either. However, in the 15 or so minutes I was there when I came back the dent was there. This was about the time his students all had their tanks and such on. So in the end he said thats too bad, and went to the water. Not appreciating his attitude I decided I wanted a police report. So I had MPD show up so I can do just that. Well when they got there this guy went ballistic! He was yelling and screaming about us trying to scam him, etc. etc. Stand up instructor! Oh yea he left a HP 80 cf tank just standing there next to his truck while diving also. Not safe. So I explained to the police that I realized theres nothing they could do to help me other than give me a report, which I requested. The plan is I will be ordering this report and getting this guy’s name and sending a very formal complaint letter to PADI.

Here’s some images of the damage and his truck:

Pictures

DIVE #23: 70′ Depth for 00:39 minutes with 51F water temperatures. We had about 15-20′of vis. This dive was with EANx26.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon.

Who was this guy??

PM me if you will we need to know who this was!!

That is BS... I have been there as someone did the same to my new truck the first time I was in Monterey with it.:11::shakehead:

I have no idea what this guys problem was and why he had such a guilty conscious when MPD arrived. I know the officer got his name etc. and im really hoping its in the report, as im sure PADI would love to hear about it.

Jim, he was an older bigger guy, grey hair, but that wont help. The key to identifying him is he has an otter bay hood with a light grey middle section. I saw him again yesterday at North Monastery, and one of his students has an older RAV4 (perhaps) dark blue, with some kind of yellow/green frog like sticker.

Total BS, and a lousy person to boot.

We however, lost Jeff. I had assumed he got too buoyant and floated to the surface.

Yup I floated up like a goof. I wasn't watching my buoyancy and next thing I new I was flailing around on the surface :shakehead:

In regards to the damage on your car it was more than obvious that someone from that group caused it. What I don't understand is why didn't he back into that parking space like every one else? If he had back in, there wouldn't be a need to walk between the cars with a tank on. All in all it looked like this guy ran a pretty loose operation.

Back
Top Bottom