Dive Report: Bull Point, RI Jan 17, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took advantage of the air temp being in the 40s and my wife being off at a baby shower by hoping in the water at Bull Point Sunday. It also gave me a chance to test out my regulators which were just back from annual service.

The skies were pretty gloomy and overcast so I definitely needed my dive light. Visibility was probably 10-15 ft but even at 30 ft the lighting was pretty dim and below about 50 ft it was downright dark. For the most part my computer was reading 38-39 degrees F, although up in the cove in the shallower sheltered waters it was 37.

I descended down the wall to a maximum depth of 90ft then worked my way back up the wall. Often I don't see any fish on winter dives at this site, but this time I saw sculpin, sea ravens and cunner though all were juveniles. The biggest was probably 3 inches long. I also saw around 8 lobsters. Because it was so dark the lobsters were wandering around out in the open which is something you normally don't see during daylight hours. I wasn't hunting so I didn't measure any of them but I doubt any would have been keepers. There were also a bunch of anemones, but no nudibranchs to just yet.

It felt great to get in the water again after a couple of months dry. I found myself grinning ear to ear by the time I hit the surface at the end of the dive.

The best news was that after my wife got home from the baby shower she'd gone to she said, "Go ahead and sign me up for an open water class!" We're going to Maui in June which means she'll be all certified and ready to go by the time we get there! Woo hoo!

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
Seems like you guys have decent depth ! 90ft right there :) Isn't there currents in that part ?
I did see my first nudibranch of the season 2 weeks ago ! I tried to take a picture, but it was moving too much.
The only dive made around there was the U853 which was a great time !

Seems like you guys have decent depth ! 90ft right there :) Isn't there currents in that part ?

It drops off pretty steeply so it is a great place for a deeper shore dive. There are places along that wall where you can get deeper than 100ft (I've hit 102). There are also places where the wall goes in steps so in poor vis you may think you are at the bottom but in fact you're on a wider ledge with another drop-off below you.

As for the currents, they definitely can be strong depending on where along the wall you are. If you are on the western/Ft Wetherill side of that point, there usually isn't much of a current (that's where I was on this dive) but after you round the point to the eastern side where you are more out in the open along the edge of the channel into Narragansett Bay the current can be very strong when the tide is running so it either should be done at slack water or as a drift dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom