Dive Report: Crescent Bay, Deadmans Reef, Sunday 29th, 2017 9:30AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You know you have good dive buddies when they always let you lead (because you enjoy going first) and they forgive you when you screw up the route. Yesterday at Deadmans, my brain and compass just could not sync up. I finally called uncle in the 5'-8' viz and we surfaced to find ourselves on the Northwest side of Seal Rock. We were way over there.

Took a surface heading aiming for the Eastside of the reef, dropped back down and got turned around one more time en route. At that point I tossed in the towel and Frank lead the way back to the beach.

Poor diving but fun times, beautiful surface conditions.

Divemetrics: 72 mins, 42' 53F

J. Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers

I read your post with great interest -- evidently you are one of the few who regularly dives Laguna and reports on your dives.. I appreciate your efforts and enjoy reading them.

In the early 1970s a book was published titled Diving West ..It was the second dive guide ever published in the US. There were 4 people listed as contributors to the OC section. Three because they owned or were associated with the three dive shops in OC at that time.

The OC information in the book was essentially collected by my self and the late Ron Merker who owned the Aquatic center in Newport beach who are listed as authors for OC.

One discussion we had was do we include Dead mans reef? -should we or should we not include dead mans reef? It had been our private hunting grounds for a generation and we wanted to keep it that way.

It was and is a long swim and at that junction diving was still in its infancy. After several long discussions we decided it should be included for those divers adventuresome enough and skilled enough for the swim
After reading your posts it verifies our decision

Keep up the reports..

SDM

Sam,
I host dive trips on the Giant Stride dive boat. I hope you will consider coming out with us sometime as my guest. We'd love to hear more about the early days.
J. Reeb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom