Dive report FTW Jamestown, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2078 7-20-2019 Saturday Fort Wetherill Jamestown Erik

Sunny hot humid partly cloudy incoming tide air temp 85 suracfe water temp 70F @Max Depth 24FSW 63F Visibility 8 cloudy feet not much ambient light penetrating . Lots of small fish again, no big ones seen.
started in West cove cut thru the shallow opening in the point and exited the other cove. BT 33min Total dive dive 45min.

Contact me and come on down!

Probably looking at end of August or early September. Definetly contact you when I head down. Thanks.

Probably looking at end of August or early September. Definetly contact you when I head down. Thanks.

Sounds good we'll have a few cold ones pre-dive.

Dive 2082 8-11-2019 FTW Jamestown RIHappyDiver, Donna
Sunny pleseant day, not too hot. Water was calm, water surface temp 72F temp at max depth 27FSW 64F. Visibility was dismal 5' maybe a little better in some spots. Went to the cut thru and tried to spend sometime there but the current was ripping there at the time. A tough swim back to West's Cove where the current lessen and a nice trip back to the ramp. Didn't see too much in the way of life but then couldn't see much in general. Used the old double hose 72 tank with J valve and bacpac, no BCD. Started with 2200 psi exited with 700psi.

Thanks for coming across the bridge Happy!

Well the dive reports from yourself as well as @CT-Rich convinced me to give FTW another try when a buddy offered.
While it wasn’t as good as some have reported vis and conditions were the best I have seen there and I had a good time.
Went in at the end of slack tide, Surface 72deg, 31feet 66deg, visibility wildly variable but a solid 10 foot average.
Lots of schools, jellies, no seahorses.

Well the dive reports from yourself as well as @CT-Rich convinced me to give FTW another try when a buddy offered.
While it wasn’t as good as some have reported vis and conditions were the best I have seen there and I had a good time.
Went in at the end of slack tide, Surface 72deg, 31feet 66deg, visibility wildly variable but a solid 10 foot average.
Lots of schools, jellies, no seahorses.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! At FTW it is a challenge to get good vis. Either real shallow or <60FSW sometimes. From 20FSW to 60 most time not so good.
I've noticed the low slack or out going tide seems to be the best vis there. The shallow water along the rocks on either sides of the cove seems to have the best chance of having good vis.

I'm giving it a try tomorrow AM, tide will start going out around 9AM. Take the old double hose out again. It really is better for getting close to marine life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom