Dive Report: Socal Oil Rigs off the Giant Stride 7-21-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark-Thirty Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was fortunate to receive an invite to join a private party outing this past Sunday on the Giant Stride. With local diving conditions lately being on the green side I jumped at the chance to go, while tempering my expectations and hoping for the best.

Ellen/Elly was our first stop and we found the upper 50' or so to be green water with numerous stringy particles. Below 55' we hit a thermocline of colder, clear water (57F) with viz to 35'.

Dive Two was to Eureka where we were lucky to be struck by a few sunbeams of good dive karma. I should have taken viz notes on my wrist slate as it was complicated to recall. There was clear green water below 60', green hazy sort of in between and a blue band 40' to the surface (67F)

The blue section was like diving in an aquarium; Blacksmiths, Garibaldis, and Sheepshead were everywhere. We found ourselves just floating in place and watching the show.

The dive highlight was the bait balls that were darting in and out of the superstructure. The surface interval highlight was the fresh scallop ceviche Jim whipped up from scallops harvested on dive One.

Jeff "J." Reeb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom