Dive report - USS Mohawk (AOW checkout dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Let's see if I have enough energy left over to write a trip report :)

We got a very early start to the day, I woke up at 4:30 to pack lunch, etc, and woke the kid up after 5. Shortly after 5:30 my instructor picked us up, and we were off to pick up the boat.

Loaded all our gear, which was quite an effort. 5 OC divers (most of us with deco or bailout tanks) + 1 rebreather diver. Left from Venice.

The ride out was pretty rough. I'd say 3-4 foot seas, and the boat, while nice, is a pretty rough ride. But we made it without major incident, and before we knew it, we were moored up to the bow of the Mighty Mo.

Here's where my trouble started. Unfortunately, Leisurepro doesn't sell sea legs, and I'm still working on mine. Which I shouldn't have to, I was out sailing with my parents a few weeks after I was born. Those sideway rockers that hit you when moored up are not compatible with my stomach.

But even so, we managed to get fully prepped, into the water, and submerged without me feeding the fishes. Great setup on the boat, deco line under the boat with a line that ties in to the mooring line, so you can just pull yourself along. There was some current, so this was a nice touch. This isn't a charter by the way, this is a private boat.

Down we go and execute the following plan. First dive on air for narc test (only 90 feet, but my time did not change from the surface test, and my sons time was quicker than the surface), down to bottom and circle the boat before testing, then ascend when gas limit reached (plan showed that air and not NDL would be the limiting factor), perform 1 minute deep stop, perform 10 minute SIMULATED deco on our 40cf ponies.

If you're curious about the plan, we've approached our OW training with an eye towards possible tech down the road, and our instructor has been a fantastic help. This was a further example of that. We didn't need to perform anything but a safety stop, but is a good intro into seeing if this is something that you want to go further with.

Onto the Mighty Mo, this is a very nice wreck. It's only been down a little over a year. Very open, deckplates were removed so you cna see inside the lower decks and engine compartment without entering. Prop and rudder are intact. Mooring buoy is next to the wreck, but the anchor line from the wreck leads to the mooring buoy. 30-40 ft vis. Plenty of fishlife, though we didn't see much BIG life, though I did see a school of HUGE spadefish, and we did end up seeing a smaller goliath grouper on the exterior of the wreck. Did not spot the engine room goliath or the pilothouse goliath.

Surfaced after our stop, came up for the surface interval. Thought I was ok at first, but before we get ready for dive 2, I ralph over the side a few times. Fortunately, I had kept a very light diet for 24 hours, and only had a yogurt for breakfast and a granola bar, so it was mostly the water I had been drinking. Enough detail on my vomit? Yeah, I think so.

I anxiously await our second dip, as even though I had immediately felt better after chucking, starting to get iffy again (damn side rollers). Fortunately, we once again suit up and hit the water, second dive being the external wreck survey and our final dive needed for AOW certification.

On conditions, as stated, 30-40 ft vis, low 80's temp (computer is in the rinse bucket outside, I'll tell you for sure tomorrow) with no thermocline detected. Lots of snot in the water, and plenty of jellies, but completely diveable. They were plentiful, but not clustered, and visibility was good enough that they were easy to avoid.

Kiddo found three nice lobsters hiding on the second dive, but I didn't have my gauge with me (or a bag or anything else for that matter), so we left them be.

Oh, and I lost my computer! It popped out of the bungee mount :( So now I know that it needs a little aquaseal or something to hold it in place. Gotta remember to get a replacement.

Came home, >12 hrs after we left, completely exhausted, burned to a crisp, and proud AOW graduates.

USS Mohawk is a nice dive, but man, it's a hike to get there. 36 miles from us, 30 miles from closer docks.

Life is good.

USSMohawk.jpg

Thx for posting

I'm just curious: was this a PADI AOW, SDI AOW or NAUI AOW? When I did my PADI AOW a few years ago, we did not have to carry a pony or simulate a deco stop. Mine was a PADI AOW and I did it with a shop that tends to have pretty good training and is safety oriented.

I feel for you, I don't get sick often, but the few times I have, it felt better to feed the fish then immediately get in the water again.

I'm just curious: was this a PADI AOW, SDI AOW or NAUI AOW? When I did my PADI AOW a few years ago, we did not have to carry a pony or simulate a deco stop. Mine was a PADI AOW and I did it with a shop that tends to have pretty good training and is safety oriented.

I feel for you, I don't get sick often, but the few times I have, it felt better to feed the fish then immediately get in the water again.

NAUI. A pony is not required, but an alternate airsource is recommended in the curriculum. To learn how to strap (from scratch, not a kit), carry, and deploy a pony was one of my primary goals for the class.

The simulated deco stop also is not required, and is not a part of the NAUI curriculum, and again, we were well within NDL so it can be considered an extended safety stop. This was a peek at tech diving you could call it, with the deep stop, and then proper gas switch procedure on our "deco" stop (verify depth, verify gas/mod, deploy, switch, ok) using our pony bottles of nitrox. This gave us a picture of what having to do multiple stops and switching gases is like, and an idea of what it would feel like being 20 feet from the surface, but not being allowed to ascend for extended times.

Also, my instructor is independent, which I think is great to begin with (not trying to sell you equipment) and full cave and active, which is great, since we are targeting going tech at some point, and I think makes everything more safety conscious and plan focused. It's been a fantastic experience.

My sea legs ARE improving. The last time I got seasick (which was a while ago now) I STAYED seasick, and really didn't feel better until my feet were on dry land. This time I felt immediately better afterwards, though it did return later. Much milder. Hopefully it will keep improving. I did load up on ginger too, and it wasn't enough. I hesitate to take meds for it, I figure it's better to just deal with it so my body can start tolerating it.

Last edited:
Let's see if I have enough energy left over to write a trip report :)

We got a very early start to the day, I woke up at 4:30 to pack lunch, etc, and woke the kid up after 5. Shortly after 5:30 my instructor picked us up, and we were off to pick up the boat.

Loaded all our gear, which was quite an effort. 5 OC divers (most of us with deco or bailout tanks) + 1 rebreather diver. Left from Venice.

The ride out was pretty rough. I'd say 3-4 foot seas, and the boat, while nice, is a pretty rough ride. But we made it without major incident, and before we knew it, we were moored up to the bow of the Mighty Mo.

Here's where my trouble started. Unfortunately, Leisurepro doesn't sell sea legs, and I'm still working on mine. Which I shouldn't have to, I was out sailing with my parents a few weeks after I was born. Those sideway rockers that hit you when moored up are not compatible with my stomach.

But even so, we managed to get fully prepped, into the water, and submerged without me feeding the fishes. Great setup on the boat, deco line under the boat with a line that ties in to the mooring line, so you can just pull yourself along. There was some current, so this was a nice touch. This isn't a charter by the way, this is a private boat.

Down we go and execute the following plan. First dive on air for narc test (only 90 feet, but my time did not change from the surface test, and my sons time was quicker than the surface), down to bottom and circle the boat before testing, then ascend when gas limit reached (plan showed that air and not NDL would be the limiting factor), perform 1 minute deep stop, perform 10 minute SIMULATED deco on our 40cf ponies.

If you're curious about the plan, we've approached our OW training with an eye towards possible tech down the road, and our instructor has been a fantastic help. This was a further example of that. We didn't need to perform anything but a safety stop, but is a good intro into seeing if this is something that you want to go further with.

Onto the Mighty Mo, this is a very nice wreck. It's only been down a little over a year. Very open, deckplates were removed so you cna see inside the lower decks and engine compartment without entering. Prop and rudder are intact. Mooring buoy is next to the wreck, but the anchor line from the wreck leads to the mooring buoy. 30-40 ft vis. Plenty of fishlife, though we didn't see much BIG life, though I did see a school of HUGE spadefish, and we did end up seeing a smaller goliath grouper on the exterior of the wreck. Did not spot the engine room goliath or the pilothouse goliath.

Surfaced after our stop, came up for the surface interval. Thought I was ok at first, but before we get ready for dive 2, I ralph over the side a few times. Fortunately, I had kept a very light diet for 24 hours, and only had a yogurt for breakfast and a granola bar, so it was mostly the water I had been drinking. Enough detail on my vomit? Yeah, I think so.

I anxiously await our second dip, as even though I had immediately felt better after chucking, starting to get iffy again (damn side rollers). Fortunately, we once again suit up and hit the water, second dive being the external wreck survey and our final dive needed for AOW certification.

On conditions, as stated, 30-40 ft vis, low 80's temp (computer is in the rinse bucket outside, I'll tell you for sure tomorrow) with no thermocline detected. Lots of snot in the water, and plenty of jellies, but completely diveable. They were plentiful, but not clustered, and visibility was good enough that they were easy to avoid.

Kiddo found three nice lobsters hiding on the second dive, but I didn't have my gauge with me (or a bag or anything else for that matter), so we left them be.

Oh, and I lost my computer! It popped out of the bungee mount :( So now I know that it needs a little aquaseal or something to hold it in place. Gotta remember to get a replacement.

Came home, >12 hrs after we left, completely exhausted, burned to a crisp, and proud AOW graduates.

USS Mohawk is a nice dive, but man, it's a hike to get there. 36 miles from us, 30 miles from closer docks.

Life is good.

View attachment 167698

Great report. Glad you had a great dive trip. PS Give "the kid" a hug for me. :D

Might we be seeing you at Megadive?

Great report. Glad you had a great dive trip. PS Give "the kid" a hug for me. :D

Might we be seeing you at Megadive?

Thinking about it. That's kiddo's bday weekend so it may not be doable. You and Netdoc both going?

If we do go we will skip the camping though. His maternal grandma lives around the corner from Devils Den which is close enough that we can stay there.

I'll talk with Anakin about it and see what he thinks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom