Dive Report: Va Beach - Clark & Luckenbach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
WOW, what a nice day on the water! We departed Vinings Landing Marine Center (Little Creek) at 0700 with three divers onboard (myself, Kevin_K, and TnTdive). Once past the Cape Henry area we opened the throttle and made the 40nm trip cruising at 36 knots. Seas were only swells 1-2ft.

We dropped the hook at the Clark and thought we had a good hold. I suited up and with my double 112's made the first dive solo. I found the wreck anchor off the wreck and in the sand. So, out comes the compass and wreck reel and after about 50-75ft I found the most forward section of the main part of the wreck. The Clark is a Liberty Ship sunk as part of the Virgibnia artificial reef project in the 1970's. The aft 3/4's of the wreck remains upright and on a heading of 190deg. The forward bow section has flipped and rests upside down with an intact debris field between the two section.
Surface temps were in the upper 70's and below the thremocline at 41ft the temps dropped to about 50deg. Visibility ABOVE the thermocline was almost 75ft, below I found it about 25ft. Still not too bad for diving these wrecks. There was little current and only a light wind on the surface. I decided to run a wreck reel from the anchor (which wasn't moving) to the Clark's hull. After tying off I ran another reel forward to the Bow break to give Kevin and Ted something to follow as they got their bearings on the wreck. Kevin and Ted splashed after I'd gotten back on the boat.

For our second dive we moved 2.5nm to the Luckenbach and found the Pelican II (Cap'n Dave Letourneau) already tied in and divers over the side. We took a position ahead of him and off to one side. As before, I made the first dive to tie us in and found our wreck anchor well placed in the debris field. "Well placed" means it's securely hooked and the chain has snagged everything within it's reach. I spent the first 10mins moving the anchor, untangling the chain, and repositioning it closer to the lee side of the wreck. Hoping that once we were ready to go, it would be a rather simple exercise to cast it free.
Conditions on the Luckenbach were similar to the first dive. A thermocline around 41ft and temps on the bottom between 50-47deg. A slight bit more current than earlier but also better visibility (30ft). I ran a long wreck reel to the bow section and made the up current swim back to the anchor line.
Kevin and Ted made their dive and moved the anchor closer to the sand before coming back up. Once Kevin was on the ladder Ted popped up and let me know he was heading back down to reposition the anchor. He wasn't satisfied the hook and chain was fully clear of the debris. It made the difference in pulling the wreck anchor free with engines or simply winching it in.

With all lines in, ladder stowed, and diver list complete we started the engines and headed back to Little Creek at more than 44knots....a real quick trip!

Safe Diving,
Wil

I'll second that, you could not have asked for a better weather day. And with Will able to let the engines run, it was great.

As we watched Will go down, I could not believe the visibility. It was crystal clear and in full color. Then you hit the thermocline, there was still around 25 ft of good vis. On the wrecks the particles were suspended and even with our dive lights it did seem the visibility dropped a little more.

The line that Will had left on both wrecks made for a good dive. Will knows these wrecks extremely well (history, orientation, items of interest, location, etc, etc), so it was almost like having a "guided" tour.

Being my first time out to these wrecks there was a lot of pluses...from a good group of divers, an nice boat (Will's Parker 280 is really setup well for divers and is able to locate the wreck with precision), good weather, and maximizing dive time...it sure did make for a very nice day of diving!

One grateful diver,
Ted

Sweet Will, I really need to get back out with you, 2 more weeks & the Hatteras season is over & I will be looking for some local trips.

Ted,

Thanks, a pleasure to meet you and dive with you. There's even more spectacular wrecks off the Virginia Capes. I was glad we had the chance for two different dive locations. This fall will hopefully offer some warmer water and clearer visibility. I dive year round so there's always an opportunity to get offshore. Some call winter diving crazy. I like to think of it as less crowded.

And that Dolphin I bagged, it was....tasty!

Bobby, there's always the opportunity to drive the boat south...for us, the season's never over.

Will

Wil,

Good seeing you on site. Ditto to your post, exact and detailed. Thanks for hanging out to insure I was able to crank the motors over. Having a battery failure at sea can be difficult to say the least. I've got two brand new Seavolt 4d's sitting in my garage waiting for install this afternoon. You're right I may need a crane to get them onboard; but no more battery issues.

r/
Capt. Dave

Dave,

I used an aluminum ladder laid across the boat and a 6:1 purchase on a block & tackle. The batteries weigh in at 128 lbs each. You'll be able to lower them into the compartment (opening is "just" big enough) and turn them into position (fore & aft).

I attached them with 1 inch nylon straps side-to-side & fore & aft and blocked the bottom of the batteries with some of that Taco marine lumber material ("Starboard"). Run the straps under the strips of the "starboard" and screw it down to the battery shelf. I'll drop some of it off at DQ for you on Saturday (I have enough scrap).

Safe Diving,
Wil

I heard the bay was nice and calm this weekend. I drove up from FL on Sunday. Thanks for the report.

Awesome report Will. I always like reading your write ups.

If you have room for 1 or 2 more divers you have my number. Kate and/or I are always ready to jump at a moments notice.:D

Back
Top Bottom