Dive Report: Va Beach - New Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it was another absolutely beautiful Virginia Beach day on the water! A group of five departed Vinings Landing Marina (Little Creek inlet) at 1115 this morning in order to dive a new wreck at high tide. The trip outbound was only about 7nm and was a very short ride with smooth seas.

We found this "new" wreck in only about 20 ft of water off Cape Henry a couple of weeks ago. Using the boat's side scan unit and trolling 1/4 mile off the beach we found the unmistakeable outline of a vessel. We selected high tide (1424) in order to get an inflow of cleaner ocean water over the wreck in the hopes of better visibility.

We relocated the wreck after two side scan passes and attempted to hook it with the wreck anchor. The third toss was the charm (the previous 2 hooked but came free) and we geared up. Our plan was simple and two fold; identify if the wreck was wood or steel, and mark the ends for a better GPS fix. Did I mention how beautiful a Va Beach day on the water it was? The Atlantic Porpoise diving all around, the Mehaden splashing in an attempt to get away...then WE got in the water...

Visibility "on top" was about 3ft. "On Top" meant the first 3 ft down from the surface...after that visibility dropped further until you reach the dark abyss at about 16ft. Visibility on the bottom was a generous 5 inches (yes, inches) and provided a great opportunity to work on hand and line signals with your dive buddy. Kevin (Kevin K) and I teamed up for this adventure after he declared all he wanted to do "was get wet". We did that...for about 10 minutes before calling it a day.

The wreck is an old wooden vessel. Probably foundered on Cape Henry before going down about 1/4 mile offshore. It's bow points to the east as if trying to make to sea but it never reached deeper water. Relief around the hull ranges from 2-3ft with the bow most likely the highest point at 4ft. Stan was great at clawing his way forward and marking the bow with a marker buoy - at which point he declared the visibility had substantially improved to 3ft. There's not much for the taking on this wreck. Most of the hardware found was steel and not bronze. Which indicates the wreck is probably from the late 1800s or early 1900s. The wreck may have burned before sinking, I'll know more after examining some of the wood and metal pulled off the wreck.

It's time to mentioned again what a beautiful Va Beach day it was on the water. Warm 80deg water, calm seas, and good divers made the day. The thing to remember about wreck diving on new discoveries, you never know what you'll find! Two things are for certain, I'll keep looking for wrecks and we'll keep diving them.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting dive, even with the poor viz. What are the water temps out there right now?

Dennis,

On this wreck it was 80deg. About two weeks ago I took Joe (Dive Quarters) and a group of his family/friends to the Tower Reef area and it was mid-70s on top and upper 50s on the bottom. You can expect a thremocline around 40ft and temps on the bottom to be in the mid to upper 50s. Later in the season (mid-Aug to Nov) you'll find bottom temps rising to the lower to mid 60s. I have on occasion found temps warmer but that's usually a result of a warm water eddy making its way to us from the gulf stream.

It's always a good idea to have gloves and a hood with you on the boat when diving off Virginia.

Safe Diving,
Wil

I see how ya are, I get a call in low temps & rough seas, but a warm water dive in smooth seas & I'm SOL.

Just kidding, been sick for almost 2 weeks & couldn't go anyway.

Glad to see you all out there trying to find something interesting to dive.

Yeah, me too.... :(

LOL....

Hope you had fun!

Wil, Thanks for the information. I have not had a chance to go diving off the coast here yet. Most of my diving is in warm water, Florida and the Caribbean. I have to say, I like warm water and good viz. Mostly, I like reefs more than wrecks. But there are a few wrecks I enjoy as well. Donna and I just got back from Bonaire. Great shore diving there.

Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. Would've great to truly have a completely full boat AND zero visibility...

Having a great time in Japan. Thinking about going AWOL and hopping a lift back to Truk! I'll be back late Friday evening, in a coma for the rest of the weekend, and ready to go diving on Monday.

Safe Diving,
Wil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom