Dive Report (Va Beach): Schooner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Another great day off Virginia Beach! With calm winds and flat seas Freedom rocketed out to the Triangle Reef area in just over an hour (40nm). Onboard were Andy (Drewski), Kevin (Kevin_K), Randy (Randy G), and Mike D.

Surface temps were around 56deg while the bottom temps averaged 46deg (just like last week) and the thermocline at 34ft. Andy, Kevin, and Randy dove their dry suits and Mike and I donned our "semi-wet" (see note) suits for our following dive. The guys reported better than 30ft of visibility, a very mild (hardly noticeable) current on the bottom, and more Lobsters than you could count! After they were safely aboard, Mike & I hit the water armed with a lobster stick and catch bag. We spent 30 mintues racing around the wreck putting bugs into the bag. All undersized and egg-bearing females returned to their holes. The two largest weighed in at 3.75 lbs each. The other smaller ones averaged about 1.75 lbs.

After our first dive we moved on to another in the area. After a failed first attempt at hooking into the wreck we were able to take hold and splash Andy, Kevin, Randy. They reported similar conditions, a few lobsters, and lots of fish, Tautaugs to be exact. When Mike and I got on the bottom we were greeted by some of the largest Taugs we've ever seen. Now, I must mention that Mike is mostly a fisherman, a Taug fisherman, and one of the best in the area. The Taugs were bold and unafraid of divers and approached quite closely. Mike was in absolute disbelief at how close the Taugs got to us. I'm counting the days until Taug season opens later this month. These were easily approaching 30 lbs, truly monster Taugs!

Once we had everyone back onboard, gear stowed we made the trip back to Vinings Landing Marine Center doing better than 40mph and another great day diving off Virginia Beach.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Note on "Semi-Wet" suits: They're often called "Semi-Dry" suits but they always let a small amount of water in and retains it . Whereas, a wet suit always lets water in. Dry suits, of course never leak (right Kevin?). So, if you accept that you're going to get some cool refreshing water in your Semi-Wet suit, it won't be such a shock when it comes. If you're in denial and still refer to your suit as "Semi-Dry", well, it never is as dry as you expect and the cold water is never welcome. It's best to just accept what it is..a Semi-Wet suit.

Last edited:
After our first dive we moved on to another in the area. After a failed first attempt at hooking into the wreck we were able to take hold and splash Andy, Kevin, Randy. They reported similar conditions, a few lobsters, and lots of fish, Tautaugs to be exact. When Mike and I got on the bottom we were greeted by some of the largest Taugs we've ever seen. Now, I must mention that Mike is mostly a fisherman, a Taug fisherman, and one of the best in the area. The Taugs were bold and unafraid of divers and approached quite closely. Mike was in absolute disbelief at how close the Taugs got to us. I'm counting the days until Taug season opens later this month. These were easily approaching 30 lbs, truly monster Taugs!

Come on Wil, after posting a lot of the wreck numbers on the fishing list you all of a sudden get a crammed finger or forget to say which wreck you were on that you saw these Togs. I bet that fisherman had a lot to with the name not being posted, most fisherman do. :rofl3: I easily just tell them were the fish are just don't post the numbers, then the fisherman that works hard to find these locations or the pros are rewarded. Not the ones who just have lots of money and go buy a boat and have someone just post the numbers for them, then call us diveboats FMers when they see us coming to a wreck. We were here first crap....... Like the bug collecting good job. Tell Mike not to worry I will only tell a couple of guys privately which wreck you guys were on.LOL
No wind all day musta been flat, quarry like conditions. :wink:

JT,

It's true, I've provided lots of information and assistance to both fishermen AND divers. All in an attempt to keep them from making costly mistakes using "internet" GPS numbers. It's also true that I don't share all the information I have but, it seems I'm one of the few who does share information. So, I'm not sure what the gripe is here.

And No, the fisherman on my boat doesn't have my numbers and didn't provide any information. He was glad to see the wreck firsthand.

Yep, it was dead flat calm all day and we had a blast. The lobsters went to the guys on the boat and a couple went to the folks who run the marina. Just trying to strengthen the ties between divers and fishermen...because rods & reels don't work on lobsters!

Safe Diving,
Wil

JT,

It's true, I've provided lots of information and assistance to both fishermen AND divers. All in an attempt to keep them from making costly mistakes using "internet" GPS numbers. It's also true that I don't share all the information I have but, it seems I'm one of the few who does share information. So, I'm not sure what the gripe is here.

And No, the fisherman on my boat doesn't have my numbers and didn't provide any information. He was glad to see the wreck firsthand.

Yep, it was dead flat calm all day and we had a blast. The lobsters went to the guys on the boat and a couple went to the folks who run the marina. Just trying to strengthen the ties between divers and fishermen...because rods & reels don't work on lobsters!

Safe Diving,
Wil

No gripe, just think it's funny as **** how it came full circle(still no name of the wreck). I use to give numbers, it wasn't until I said screw them that the real wreck number holders came to me, give me numbers because they want to know what's down there and they don't dive and they know I'm not telling where there fishing spots are. It was actually me who let the cat out of the bag on the snowy grouper to the fisherman. First saw them diving wreck V43 in 390ft in the 90's and told two fisherman and they are now heavily targeted as they went and caught them. I don't eat seafood (only shrimp) so give most of my stuff away to.

Sometimes a monster tog is really a puppy drum..... I have seen and shot plenty of bubba's but 30# would be some kind of world record. Either way sorry you are not native american.
Eric

Another great day off Virginia Beach! With calm winds and flat seas Freedom rocketed out to the Triangle Reef area in just over an hour (40nm). Onboard were Andy (Drewski), Kevin (Kevin_K), Randy (Randy G), and Mike D.

Surface temps were around 56deg while the bottom temps averaged 46deg (just like last week) and the thermocline at 34ft. Andy, Kevin, and Randy dove their dry suits and Mike and I donned our "semi-wet" (see note) suits for our following dive. The guys reported better than 30ft of visibility, a very mild (hardly noticeable) current on the bottom, and more Lobsters than you could count! After they were safely aboard, Mike & I hit the water armed with a lobster stick and catch bag. We spent 30 mintues racing around the wreck putting bugs into the bag. All undersized and egg-bearing females returned to their holes. The two largest weighed in at 3.75 lbs each. The other smaller ones averaged about 1.75 lbs.

Once we had everyone back onboard, gear stowed we made the trip back to Vinings Landing Marine Center doing better than 40mph and another great day diving off Virginia Beach.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Note on "Semi-Wet" suits: They're often called "Semi-Dry" suits but they always let a small amount of water in and retains it . Whereas, a wet suit always lets water in. Dry suits, of course never leak (right Kevin?). So, if you accept that you're going to get some cool refreshing water in your Semi-Wet suit, it won't be such a shock when it comes. If you're in denial and still refer to your suit as "Semi-Dry", well, it never is as dry as you expect and the cold water is never welcome. It's best to just accept what it is..a Semi-Wet suit.

Another fine day of Freedom diving Will. I hope these weather conditions are a sign of things to come the season, and maybe even warmer water a bit earlier than October :cool2:
Dry suits leak for various reasons. Holes, seal failure and a rolled neck seal that was missed while donning ect....so I guess that makes a temporary semi-wet suit and the cold water is certainly unwelcome. Just sayin :D

Great dives off of FREEDOM yesterday Will, thanks again!

Excellent choices for sites and a great bunch of knuckleheads to dive with. I learn something new each and every time I go out with this crew. Diving with a group that is as experienced as our group, a newbie like me can not help but absorb the wealth of knowledge that Will, Andy and Kevin have and so willingly share with me.:cool2:

I am still waiting to pop my perverbial collecting cherry and bring back a full catch bag but I feel it coming. :D I was astonished with how many bugs were on the first wreck and stopped counting after a dozen. After being told by both my dive buddies that it was a training dive and we would be doing skills...twice, I opted to leave the ticklestick and bag onboard but was happy to report back to Mike and Will about things to come on thier dive.

Andy and I added to our good karma bag by releasing a small cobia that was hooked and wrapped around "The Atlantic Phantom" (you could hear the cheers from all the taugs and seabass). It was cool to help the little guy out and he calmed right down once I had ahold of him. Andy popped the hook out and the little guy was gettin the hell outta dodge at breakneck speed.

While doing deco bottle drills I had a freeflow from the din not being screwed in all the way, I wonder how it could have came unscrewed???:idk: I shut it back down, tightened it back up and went about the drill. No stress, no worries.

I love my "new to me" (semi dry) drysuit. It seems that everytime I jump in I get alittle or alot wet. I was taught a new trick about rolling the neck seal under by Andy and hopefully it will keep me dryer than I have come up with over the last 6 dives in it.:wink: Unfortunately I was already soaked from the first dive so I don't know if it worked on the second dive or not.

Overall a 8 out of 10 day. Warm water and sunshine would have popped up to a 10 out of 10 easily. But I am not complaining, it was a gooooooooood day!:coffee:

and the 3 Lobster for dinner topped it all off!:D

Andy and I added to our good karma bag by releasing a small cobia

While doing deco bottle drills I had a freeflow from the din not being screwed in all the way, I wonder how it could have came unscrewed???:idk:

WOW a cobia, the water temp is still to low for them to be here yet. Usually we don't see them on the offshore wrecks until later in the year as the first place they show up is the shore line and bay as those temps are warmer first.

Have seen several din stages leak. While they are best for back gas I think once you charge them and shut them off (most regs leak down) they can be bumped moving around loosening the connection causing the oring to leak when fully recharged after the dive during deco and it has been knocked around(unscewed). I use yoke because this happen less seems and ease of changing regs at depth with a failure is way easier.

On big dives I have seen two din reg failures and we had to change regs to complete deco. It was a bear doing din UW with heavy gloves on. I had one yoke reg hose oring blow and it was much easier to switch regs UW.

You should try switching regs(just before reg overhaul is best time) in the pool in the midwater because that is where deco regs have failures. Make sure you have heavy gloves on. I have yet to see anyone do it without help during the real deal.

Don't know a damn thing about the fish here but I am learning quickly. I thought it was a small shark cought up until I looked at it for a few seconds. It was thrashing about, scared at the 2 big black preditors staring it down. I tried grabbing the thing from the dorsal back and it kept slipping away, so then I reached around and pulled him into my other hand over the gill area then slid my hand back to let him breath. He quieted right down.:cool2:

Your drill sounds like something I would like to try alittle later in the season after I get some more dives/drills in. Scenario is diving what I dive currently, a single LP120/130. What do you do, shutdown one to simulate a failure, remove reg, pop open to breath off the hose while removing your main reg, screw primary onto deco hose /bottle and start deco while you screw on the deco reg to your primary/secondary reg line?
H valve or doubles would be easier???. Just shutdown one side and work on switching regs while breathing off the other side of the valve.

And I'm a din guy!:D Only valves I have ever had a problem with are yokes (3 times).....until this.

What do you do, shutdown one to simulate a failure, remove reg, pop open to breath off the hose while removing your main reg, screw primary onto deco hose /bottle and start deco while you screw on the deco reg to your primary/secondary reg line?
H valve or doubles would be easier???. Just shutdown one side and work on switching regs while breathing off the other side of the valve.

And I'm a din guy!:D Only valves I have ever had a problem with are yokes (3 times).....until this.

I'm talking just stages and referring to switching regs from one stage to another (need two stages) If you only have one stage and the reg fails that gas is unobtainable. Sometimes if it is a freeflow you can open & shut the valve to breath, very hard and stressful. Rule of thumb never do a depth or BT that you cannot complete using back gas when carrying only one stage. Never can you or should you even try to remove a reg off of your backgas, that is not an option. I always believe it is not just one thing that gets you into trouble. Maybe Andy, you and a bunch of us can get together sometime for a bull**** session about this.

Back
Top Bottom