Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Stone crab season is about to open in our area. Guess what? They are all dead.
Some dive operators continue to conduct “shark tooth” trips. I sure hope those divers are out there protesting and writing letters to our elected officials about this environmental disaster because we all have a responsibility to our Gulf of Mexico if you dive here, not just to find the biggest shark’s tooth, but to protect our wildlife that make the Gulf their home.

Went diving this morning, knowing that conditions would not be good. My main goal was to collect a bottom sample. Went in just south of Venice Beach (Alhambra) and collected this sample in 18 feet of water about 200 yards out. The surface had a couple feet of visibility but that went to zero and stayed completely black till I reached the bottom. Actually felt the bottom and collected the sample in the blind as I could not see it - just like a night dive without lights. 18 feet of this material does a good job of blocking out the light. Prepared a slide from the sample and examined it under my microscope. Lots of dead algae cells and other assorted decaying material. Also saw lots of living Karenia brevis in that sample!

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 104
Need a low pressure system to move into the Gulf to push it away from shore. (but not a hurricane)

Thanks Bob to be brave enough to go out diving. Hope that this will get stirred up soon or cold water (if it ever cools down) will mix up the red tide.

I can second all this .. went out on a charter in 30 feet and about the first 15 had light . After that it turned black and zero light penetrated. It was just like they say it was like a night dive with a lot of suspended black particulate . Visibility even with a light was only a few inches .

Might be next year before the water is worth getting in.

Beach/kayak diving on this coast is pretty much a waste of time for the foreseeable future. Time to hit the springs, Lake Denton or the Keys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom