Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did S.Brohard & was pleasantly surprised! Viz was 10-15 ft on entry! Best viz of the summer! As the tide rolled out, viz dropped to 8-10 ft. Water temp 82. Due to what I guess is an algae bloom, the water is a little green but twas a nice dive anyway.

Wind/Surf: <10 knots, seas 1 ft
Depth: 30 feet
Temp: 84 deg
Viz: 8-12 feet
Finds: Missed the fossil bed but saw alot of small crabs and fish. Came up with a dozen or so 1" of various species shark teeth.

Excellent day out there and like dkramer ^ was pleasantly surprised! Light breeze helped to keep the sweat off inbetween tanks. Left the site at 3 pm in time to avoid any light showers that were in the area. Can't wait to try it again but have to keep searching for the fossil beds!

Tue: 7-9-13
Manasota Viz 8-10' in 26'-33'
Temp 85

Water looks to be clearing up nicely...
20130709_124106.jpg

8/10/13
S. Brohard, Venice Public beach
Tide: incoming
Water Temp: 84
Viz: S. Brohard 10-15 ft, Ven. Public Beach 4-6ft
Dove S. Brohard with Dkramer and #1 dive buddy 1:30 BT, great dive, nice viz, lot of huge snook on the blocks. The viz began dropping as the incoming tide slowed. Dove Ven. Pub. Beach w/ #1 dive buddy,45 min BT, viz had degraded to 4-6 over the blocks, tide had stopped moving.

So today was the day my wife finally got her last certification dive done. While she was doing that I went out on the kayak from the service club by sharkies. This was about 9:15. I paddled out about a mile NW, ended up about 3/4 mile off the beach.

Depth: 30 feet
Vis: 6"-1.5 feet at times. Lot of silty stuff down there. At times a foot of silt in places. Now the crazy part was it was only hazy for the bottom 1.5 feet. I could lift my head and look up and clearly see my kayak and the wave action on the top of the water while touching the bottom at 30 feet! That was cool.

Moved NW about .3 mile and found better stuff that might yield a tooth but no luck. Did find a whale ear bone there.
Depth: still around 30 feet
Vis: Vis was better here it opened up to 3-4 feet on the bottom and could still see the surface. Just ran across too many patches of silt to want to waste my air on it so I headed back up and moved straight north until I got the south end of the alhambra towers.

Depth: Mostly 26-28 feet.
Vis: I would say 8-10 most of the time. Didn't have the same top to bottom clarity but was better vis on the bottom. By then the wind was starting to pick up SW and it blew me off the spot I wanted to be on. Too muck rocky stuff. Ended up finding a beat up meg a little over 2" here.

Ate lunch and attempted to take my newly certified wife out to the blocks for the first time. By then the wind was really kicking up the waves. We tried to pull off a tandem on my 12' kayak and we flipped it when I tried to get in. We need to practice in calmer water first. The good news is I found out my system for securing all my gear is solid and I didn't lose anything. The bad news was that my wife bailed on me and I went out myself for tank two.

This time I paddled out about a half mile fighting the waves and sw wind. Never hit the spot I wanted to off of Alhambra but managed to find 1/2 a 3", 2 intact 2", and a broken 2+".

The cool thing I tried today was bringing along a water proof case with my cell phone. I downloaded an app for biking that records your gps position for your rides. I let it run for the whole first tank and forgot to turn it on for the second. It's free. And it is cool to see my dive track on google maps. See if this works:

Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Venice | Times and Records | Strava

Depth: 25-27 feet:
Vis: 5-8 feet
Time: 2:00 PM
Cool sights: Sea cucumber, Pretty big sea horse 9-10 inches.

Lots of odd winds from the tropical storm that wasn't.
Storms floating around to further muddy the waters.
Is it worth a drive down for a tank with the afternoon tide, or just hang out and wait impatiently until next weekend???

S. Brohard, Venice 7:30 am
seas 1 - 2'
wind 10 knots
Vis 8' - 10' most of the time there was a few times vis dropped to 4-5 feet
Temp 84
Depth 30'
1 tank dive 110 mins about one mile off shore. Finds the smallest meg I have ever found or seen before.
Did not do a second dive due to Approaching Weather. First kayak dive on the books and loved it.

I did broward beach this morning.

First tank at around 7:30. went out 50 yards from the blocks. vis was good at 15 ft plus at times with a water temp of 85 degrees at 22 ft.

Second tank at 8:30. only went out to the blocks as visibilty had diminished substantially back to 4 to 6 feet and since I am a new diver and was solo I didnt push my luck. water temp was 86 degrees at 15 feet.

Saw the biggest snook I have ever seen while cruizing through the blocks.

Overall better than i expected considering the weather.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom