Dive Resort Deal - 19% Off the Occidental Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of the pier fee, the resort does charge a $5 per diver per day fee. This is quite a common practice among resorts in Cozumel. However, most local operators absorb this fee. It's almost unheard of for operators to pass this fee on to guests, so divers rarely even know it exists.

This statement is nonsensical. It implies that local operators absorb this fee charged by other resorts, but for some reason do not absorb the fee only from Occidental. And that is the reason so many divers know about the Occidental fee and do not know about all the other alleged pier fees.

Think before posting, please.

In terms of the pier fee, the resort does charge a $5 per diver per day fee. This is quite a common practice among resorts in Cozumel.
That is not at all true. Charging a hotel guest for a room generally includes reasonable access and use of the public areas of the property. Charging a paying guest for use of the pier is like charging to use the swimming pool. Many of us suspect this idea came from the house dive operator.

However, most local operators absorb this fee.
I see that you are from Switzerland, but I don't know if you have ever been to Coz? This is also not correct.

$1270 pp including 16 dives for 9 nights is a very nice deal....I selected a September date.

I usually pay $34/Dive at ProDive.
I am happy for you if you are happy and don't want to give you any grief, but that's not a deal at all. I can book those 9 nights thru Hotels.com (where I get 10% rebate credit to use on future reservations) for $1,335.68 Total room price = $668 each. Add 16 dives @ $34 = $1212 each, so your "deal" is overpriced.

Personally, I like to just pay for the dives I do - not paying for the dive days blown out, or maybe I get ill or injured and can't do. Yours are use-it-or-lose-it.

Going off of Barcelo’s site, the price for two without diving same dates as above is $1386.00

Diving $544x2 = $1088. So that would be $2474 vs $2540 above....

Better deal off of their site, plus repeat customers get a discount and another 5% off if your older than 55 :)
Ok, so if you are a repeat customer and older than 55, your deal beats mine. If neither, my way is cheaper even before the 10% rebate credit. Whatever. This Padi offer is nothing special.

By the way, I see that this place charges to use their internet as well. How much more is that in addition to their other high prices?

By the way, I see that this place charges to use their internet as well. How much more is that in addition to their other high prices?

When we stayed there it was $12 a day (unless you upgraded to their Royal level). And it was terrible. Dropped connections like crazy. If you were patient enough you could eventually send and receive email, but that's about it.

When we stayed there it was $12 a day (unless you upgraded to their Royal level). And it was terrible. Dropped connections like crazy. If you were patient enough you could eventually send and receive email, but that's about it.

The original link clearly says "Free WiFi", although it does not say "great wifi connection". I have stayed here several times and never been charged for WiFi. Email and occasional Facebook was all I used the internet for, but was satisfied enough that I can't complain about the service.

That is not at all true. Charging a hotel guest for a room generally includes reasonable access and use of the public areas of the property. Charging a paying guest for use of the pier is like charging to use the swimming pool. Many of us suspect this idea came from the house dive operator.

I see that you are from Switzerland, but I don't know if you have ever been to Coz? This is also not correct.

I am happy for you if you are happy and don't want to give you any grief, but that's not a deal at all. I can book those 9 nights thru Hotels.com (where I get 10% rebate credit to use on future reservations) for $1,335.68 Total room price = $668 each. Add 16 dives @ $34 = $1212 each, so your "deal" is overpriced.

Personally, I like to just pay for the dives I do - not paying for the dive days blown out, or maybe I get ill or injured and can't do. Yours are use-it-or-lose-it.

Ok, so if you are a repeat customer and older than 55, your deal beats mine. If neither, my way is cheaper even before the 10% rebate credit. Whatever. This Padi offer is nothing special.

I could care less about $58.00 LOL! And we have gotten a room there for as low as $1080.00 for the week double occupancy.

I could care less about $58.00
Okee dokee, just trying to be factual in my comparison of the 19% discount that is not really a discount to other offers.

thanks

The original link clearly says "Free WiFi", although it does not say "great wifi connection". I have stayed here several times and never been charged for WiFi. Email and occasional Facebook was all I used the internet for, but was satisfied enough that I can't complain about the service.
Perhaps they've improved their routers since we were there in 2016. In a Royal club room, we had almost zero reception across multiple devices. Often had to go down to the concierge area of the Royal club to get a proper signal.

Occidental wasn't all bad. The grounds were really nice, kids club was good, entertainment OK, pools decent (but with the towel game being played a lot) and the beach was good (especially for Cozumel). The rooms were decent size but with absolutely no view of anything other than jungle. Their dinner reservation system, with restaurants sitting half empty, was really annoying. And that the a la carte dinners were subpar just made it that much worse. At least Alberto's was only a 10 minute walk down the beach.

"towel game"

What is the towel game? In Dominican Republic someone in our party of 4 forgot their pool towel on a chair, went to the buffet, realized they didn't have it, went back to pool to find it was gone. She paid a $30 charge for not being able to turn in the towel when we left. Is that the towel game?

That right there (the "towel game") is enough to send me off looking for somewhere else to stay.
We end up with more towels than we can use...it’s a easily won game. I wouldn’t decide on staying here solely based off of the towels....lol

You folks are petty :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom