Dive Resort Deal - 19% Off the Occidental Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In other places, "the "towel game" referred to those who laid out towels on recliners before breakfast to save them for when they actually went to the pool at noon. Frustrating to show up at the pool to find hardly anyone there but no recliners available. Some hotels respond to this by collecting any unattended towels.

Travel Etiquette: Saving Seats at the Pool

Towel Game,,What can I do ?? - Cancun Forum - TripAdvisor

Reserving pool chairs with towels...... - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

This. People reserving prime spots at the pool very early in the morning, using towels, and then showing up hours later. It has nothing to do with a lack of towels or being "petty". I don't know if it's still happening or not. Or if it's just more prone to happen in high season (when we were there). I just know that it did happen, we felt it rude and inconsiderate of other guests, and the hotel did nothing to stop it. It wasn't a primary reason, for us, not to return. The food was the deciding factor.

This. People reserving prime spots at the pool very early in the morning, using towels, and then showing up hours later. It has nothing to do with a lack of towels or being "petty". I don't know if it's still happening or not. Or if it's just more prone to happen in high season (when we were there). I just know that it did happen, we felt it rude and inconsiderate of other guests, and the hotel did nothing to stop it. It wasn't a primary reason, for us, not to return. The food was the deciding factor.
I've seen this rudeness at all resorts I've ever visited..its not indigenous to the Occidental..I saw it a on 7 mile beach in Cayman last week...I have yet to experience that at the OCC but we dont go during peak weeks.

"the "towel game" referred to those who laid out towels on recliners before breakfast to save them for when they actually went to the pool at noon

Thanks for defining that. We've been traveling to different resorts for years and both my wife and I had never heard it called that although we've seen it a lot of places. I guess if more places did what I explained in my earlier post ($30 for not being able to turn in a towel at the end of the week) it would end that game.

You really have to love an all-inclusive resort that charges your to use their pier and internet. Maybe they just don't understand the term "All-Inclusive"?

You really have to love an all-inclusive resort that charges your to use their pier and internet. Maybe they just don't understand the term "All-Inclusive"?

New sales slogan - "All We Want To Include For One High Price"

You really have to love an all-inclusive resort that charges your to use their pier and internet.

It's not just the AI's in Coz.

Elsewhere, on the mainland, some resorts that are not AI, such as the Vidanta resorts, are charging hundreds of dollars more a week ($420 for 2 bedroom unit) as a mandatory activity fee that covers all the things they provided (with the exception of a delivered daily newspaper) before the fee, such as airport pickup, arrival cocktails, wi-fi, etc... Another resort in PDC is charging a mandatory $350/week (1 bedroom unit) to $490 (2 bedroom unit) as a maid fee.

Everyone's trying to take your money.

It's not just the AI's in Coz.

Elsewhere, on the mainland, some resorts that are not AI, such as the Vidanta resorts, are charging hundreds of dollars more a week ($420 for 2 bedroom unit) as a mandatory activity fee that covers all the things they provided (with the exception of a delivered daily newspaper) before the fee, such as airport pickup, arrival cocktails, wi-fi, etc... Another resort in PDC is charging a mandatory $350/week (1 bedroom unit) to $490 (2 bedroom unit) as a maid fee.

US DOLLARS??

At up to $70 per day, per room, those are some well paid housekeepers (as if).

US DOLLARS??

Ha ha! Crazy isn't it?

those are some well paid housekeepers (as if).

We wouldn't even entertain the thought of staying at the resort that charges that much for a maid fee. The "activity" fee on the other hand happens to be at a resort, Grand Mayan in PDC, that we really like. It's still a good deal for us through the timeshare, but it's the principle of the matter!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom