Dive Rite 300 LED Hand held Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mark,

Knockoff probably wasnt the best word, but the Sea Elite light is really a salvo HID light under the DS private label. In fact I regularly turn people who want an inexpensive HID light towards the Sea Elite HID.

HID bulbs even in the strongest form are still fragile. They wont take the beating an LED will, but HID is definately brighter (as I mentioned above). However, for me I was willing to save some money for a light that I would put on the same playing field as a 10 W HID. Sure my LED is a second string player, but its still out playing with the big kids. Blows most of the other LEDs I've seen out of the water. Is 4.5 hrs an issue? Yes. Heres why: Kristen goes on a trip to a quarry and does 3 dives at 1 - 1 1/2 hrs each, I am pushing the limits of my battery. Spare HID batteries arent cheap like AAs either. And when we do a trip together you'll be lugging a charger which adds the complications of power adapters overseas, while my AA batteries will chug on for 30 hours on one set. :)

BTW Mark, I am really pleased with your new Sea Elite Hybrids, after working at DS for 5 years I think I can say its the best BC I've seen us produce.

Kristen

UaVaj, the light Mark is talking about is this light: http://www.divers-supply.com/Sea-Elite-10-Watt-4-5-amp-HID-Canister-Light-SP-p/sal0001.htm

As you can see that price is less than any of the other ones on the market, and if I remember correctly Mark is letting people PM him with offers through Wednesday on gear. So you can make him an offer he can't refuse.

In all honesty I was between that light or this LED, only went with the LED bc I could get a trade in for an old light so I paid practically nothing for it. I am glad I did, however, I think this light will suit my needs better. I dont find myself in a situation where I need all the power of a canister light. I am probably going to just be using a light with students in quarries and mucky water and needed something smaller and more conventional than a canister for that. Even though I dont work for DS any more ( :( ) I would still recommend that canister over any of the others on the market

Although I would prefer a spread beam. I higly doubt any spread beam light will be bright enough especially in florida tropical waters. So the Sea Elite HID probably won't work. I believe I will need a focus beam instead.

If I had to choose among only those two. I would rather have the LED for profile and more burn time and initial investment cost saving.

For clear tropical waters I would recommend that as well. I would still PM Mark and see if he will cut you a deal on that light too-- below the $360 with free shipping hes offering.

UaVaj:
Although I would prefer a spread beam. I higly doubt any spread beam light will be bright enough especially in florida tropical waters. So the Sea Elite HID probably won't work. I believe I will need a focus beam instead.

If I had to choose among only those two. I would rather have the LED for profile and more burn time and initial investment cost saving.

I use the Sea Elite in Florida and it is solid, even OK for signalling.

Hi. I am an owner of 300LED. I just used in a shallow open water, so I can not comment on the durability etc. Having said that, I like this light very much. In a open water it is comparable to DR 10W HID, which belongs to a friend of mine. It is true HID beam is narrower and penetrates more, but 300LED is lighther and works with drycell. I will get remote code head once it becomes available.

My LDS was just telling me they have one of these ordered to sell, and she mentioned that it will be usable with a canister soon. Anyone know if the mod will allow the head to be used with the existing HID canisters, or will it basically be an extension that allows the LED head to be used with the battery compartment it comes with?

my understanding is that it will be an extension. scheduled to be released before the end of the year.

KM

How bright it looks in a casual test doesn't tell you much. The eye is easy to trick. Put two lights side by side, one being 1/5 as strong as the other, and they will look to be much closer in brightness than that.

I checked the web and this DR LED light is 300 lumens. A 10W HID is about 500. Now we've got something to talk about. That's a pretty respectable output. A light like that could be a good candidate for some users. (Lumens is still kind of sketchy, because they aren't tested the same way, and the eye is more sensitive to some parts of the spectrum, output spectrum differs between LED/HID... but it's the best figure we are going to get.)

I doubt the LED head can be focussed as tightly as the HID lights though. Considering that and the difference in output it's clear that the HID will still penetrate better and that could definitely be an important selling point for low-vis divers.

I own a 10W HID and I like it, but I will be first in line the day solid-state lights beat 'em for the money.

I use the Sea Elite in Florida and it is solid, even OK for signalling.

Since I will be mainly using this light for spearfishing and occasional reacreational wreck diving. While spearfishing. Say looking under dark ledges or under structures. (Compact is probably a higher priority than lumen which is why LED was consider. With compact out of the equation.) It is safe to say HID is the surperior light over this LED?

What is a focusable HID comparable to the Sea Elite. Is the Salvo focusable? If not what is a comparable focusable HID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom