• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive Rite bladder hole.

Discussion in 'Dive Rite' started by Scuba_88, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Scuba_88

Scuba_88 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This sucks! I just found two holes in my Dive Rite bladder today. Can you patch these things or should I try to send it back to Dive Rite? It's an older Rec wing and I'm not even sure they will still have the parts. The wing looks new so I don't want to just scrap this thing. Any suggestions?

2. Dsix36

Dsix36 Solo Diver

I have patched plenty of wings. In fact my current wing is patched. Sand the area around the hole, apply aquaseal, let dry, cover with duct tape (just for good measure), go diving.

Never had an issue with one of my patches yet.

3. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    you can patch them, Dive Rite can patch them, and they probably have new bladders available. Call them and ask, the guys over there are really helpful. Aquasealing like @Dsix36 said is what they're going to do though, so you may as well DIY, it's the same as patching an air mattress or inner tube.

Scuba_88 likes this.
  4. Scuba_88

Scuba_88 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Awesome! Makes me feel a lot better.

One more question. Do you guys just use this Aquaseal stuff or do you ever cover it with a piece of rubber the way you fix a bike tire? Just asking because the holes are like tiny 2 mm cuts.

5. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    if they're more slits than holes I just patch with aquaseal, but you can use a bike tire patch no problem. These aren't really under any pressure so it's less critical than a bike tire, but if it makes you feel better it won't hurt.

6. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Skip the aqua seal. Buy some type a tape (google it). It’s what we use to repair holes in the bladders in our kites kiteboarding. Kiteboarding bladder is thinner than a bc bladder and takes more abuse. In kiting your kite often slams the water very fast and hard. I’ve had multiple bladders repaired with type a hold up for years. Including sitting in my hot car for hours.

Scuba_88 likes this.
  7. gstrek

gstrek Photographer

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I read about Tear-Aid for BC repair (type A for nylon) and have a few inches of it my save-a-dive kit. I haven't used it for BC repair but have used it for repairing a tear in a outdoor furniture cover. It held up over a cold, snowy winter.

I would repair with Aquaseal and cover it with Tear-Aid.

8. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

Tear-Aid is a fantastic product. Just make sure you get the right one (there is "Type A" & "Type B"). Specific uses are listed on the packaging. Of interest is that if you are using it in conjunction with AquaSeal, it might not matter...

Scuba_88 likes this.
  9. gstrek

gstrek Photographer

I haven't used either Aquaseal or Tear-Aid on a BC so can't say which one or both would work or not. I guess using both would be the belt and suspenders approach. FWIW, I only bring Tear-Aid with me when I am on a dive trip.

Scuba_88 likes this.
  10. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

I've used TearAid on latex seals quite successfully. It is a important component of my DS Save-A-Dive kit.

I imagine the same product would work well to patch a bladder.