Dive rite EXP wing- puncture & zip broke- how to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colinmiller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a 44lb double bladder exp wing, brought new in 2014.

Recently I discovered a leak (small puncture) in main wing near seam at bottom of wing.

When I went to unzip the main bag to access the bladders, the zip puller disintegrated (shattered into at least 3 pieces) in my hand with virtually no force! .

I have fixed the small leak in main wing using a bicycle repair kit (how else?).

Problem remains now getting the zip fixed, it seems i may have to have a complete new zip entirely ???

I live in the Philippines & this is proving very problematic, as every where I have been to shook their heads in disbelief at the task in hand.

Given that a new double bladder wing is very expensive, does anyone have any ideas how to fix ???

Thanks

the zip should be covered by your warranty, though they will have to replace the outer cover. Luckily you don't need to replace anything else, they'll all go back in the new cover. Call the shop that you bought the gear from

the zip should be covered by your warranty, though they will have to replace the outer cover. Luckily you don't need to replace anything else, they'll all go back in the new cover. Call the shop that you bought the gear from

How long the warranty lasts ????

I don't have a good relationship with the shop I brought from- They 'lost' a twinset regulator set I put in for service (they replaced with cheaper crap) So I no longer give them my custom.
Life here in Philippines ain't as simple as in civilized countries Tbone 1004 !!!!!

As tbone said follow through with the warranty repair. If that fails, the old zipper can be removed and replaced. If removing it too difficult, the old may be able to be cut out and the new one sewn in over the old. I suspect that you can walk down most any street in the Philippines and find someone qualified to sew in a zipper. You would be hard pressed to find that in the US.

Sometimes a simple life has its advantages :)

Searching the DR site with the key words EXP yields this:

The Classic XT is backed by our WORRY-FREE LIFETIME GUARANTEE and are made exclusively in the U.S.A.

The EXP is "scaled back", and may not carry this warranty, but being 2 years old, might be worth reaching out to them......

Searching the DR site with the key words EXP yields this:

The Classic XT is backed by our WORRY-FREE LIFETIME GUARANTEE and are made exclusively in the U.S.A.

The EXP is "scaled back", and may not carry this warranty, but being 2 years old, might be worth reaching out to them......

I have contacted Diverite, whom have offered to replace the wing cover under warranty - Top company !
Thanks all for advice on this forum

I met Lamar a few weeks ago in Dubai and he stands behind what he sells. His confidence in his products has made me a repeat customer.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom