Dive rite, Halcyon or Hollis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are your thought s on the best BP/W setup for comfort and streamline system, how do they feel, snug, comfortable, lightweight, etc, etc. Im looking for info on Dive Rite transpac harness or Halcyon Eclipse setup, this is for streamlining for spearfishing while scuba diving and later for tech diving.

I own two Dive Rite Aluminum plates with Oxycheq wings and a Halcyon ss Pioneer rig.......all with simple hog harnesses...........

The Halcyon rig seems to be built a little better and the wing seems heavier duty.....but they put all these massive logos on it.......

That being said the DR/Oxy rigs are nice too......my only "issue" is that the webbing seems to cut on the AL plates faster.......I have had to replace the webbing on my travel rig after 2 years...........but that is easy and cheap.......

I bought the DR/Oxy rigs new and the Halcyon used.............

Rumor has it the new Halcyon gear is not cheap.......:)

I have heard/read lots of positive comments on the DR Transpac/Transplate.......but it is not DIR if that is the philosophy you plan to follow........

Most streamlined is typically defined as smallest wing, simple hog harness, short HP hose, good secondary hose routing (long hose primary bungeed secondary), properly placed and stowed gear (lift bags, lights, etc).........

Hope this helps.........M

Another option you may want to throw in the mix is DSS (http://www.deepseasupply.com). They don't do a lot of advertising so their name won't be as prominent as DR or Halcyon, but they still make an awesome rig at a great price. To go along with this is Tobin, the owner, is very active here on SB (and a couple of other boards) and is tremendous when it comes to customer service. He is great about answering any questions you may have to ensure you get the right rig to fit your needs....Did I mention he makes quality stuff and his customer service is outstanding?

If you are interested in the DR, I would definitely direct you to the transplate, not the transpac. with the trans pac, you don't get the full benefit of the stability and weight that is offered by the trans plate.

Just some food for thought....

Deep Sea Supply -- best value for money, high quality gear, fantastic one-on-one customer service. What more can you ask for?

Note that you won't want a single-tank setup (the Eclipse) for "tech diving".

What are your thought s on the best BP/W setup for comfort and streamline system, how do they feel, snug, comfortable, lightweight, etc, etc. Im looking for info on Dive Rite transpac harness or Halcyon Eclipse setup, this is for streamlining for spearfishing while scuba diving and later for tech diving.

As Oscar Wilde once said "I have very simple tastes: I am never disappointed with the best."

:)

If I was thinking of streamlined, lightweight, comfortable, I would think of a simple AL BP and web harness. Or, even a SS BP and web harness. I would be thinking of a small single tank wing in the 18-30lb range. Touching base with DeepSeaSupply is a GREAT idea. As for whether DR, or Halcyon, or Oxycheq, BPs and wings are better, I have all three and don't have a performance preference. I would NOT be thinking of a TransPac at this point, at least not as the 'best BP/W setup', although I own one that I am using for sidemount.
Jorgy:
Most streamlined is typically defined as smallest wing, simple hog harness, short HP hose, good secondary hose routing (long hose primary bungeed secondary), properly placed and stowed gear (lift bags, lights, etc)
Good observation! You can streamline your gear with many different brands.

Thanks all for your advice, i am thinking about the transplate which seems like a more stable piece than the transpac and i have the ability to drop some weight as well, the plate is 6 pounds so i can drop my weight completely and use this, i use HP Steel 120's. Can you all suggest a wing setup for single tank thats good for tropical warm water (south florida) and travel. Anyone use the RiteSource octo instead of the normal octo?

Can you all suggest a wing setup for single tank thats good for tropical warm water (south florida) and travel

You should really drop Tobin (cool_hardware52) a line and figure out what kind of wing is best for you. One shouldn't just "suggest a singles wing for tropical water," it's really much better to figure out exactly what your needs are and get the wing that's best suited for that application.

I have never used Dive Rite, so I can't comment on them. The Halcyon and Hollis are both good products, and are very similar to each other (atleast the singles wings are). If you are really only choosing between those 3 brands you mentioned, you wouldn't go wrong with either. If you are open to suggestions, I also recommend looking at Deep Sea Supply.

I'd like to throw one more name into the ring. I just spent about 4 months researching a move to a bp/w. I am also a local FL diver, so we know we have a few companies and plenty of resources close by. After plenty of debate, and asking too many questions, I settled on a H.O.G. bp and w. - most folks seemed to agree a plate was a plate. So, a $179 plate isn't all that much better than an $85. And the 32lb doughnut priced below 200 (and there are better deals) seems to match quality with any of the major players. I added a $19 pad and $42 harness and I got something I feel is just as good as the other brands that are double or more the cost. (Then had to get the wife one.)

As far as the idea of switching, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. The first thing I noticed was that I felt much at one with the gear (or it with me) It wasn't tight, but when I moved it did. The second thing was that I became 100% more aware of my trim. (I didn't think I had problems before, but I realized that I was 6 inches from the bottom with my fins above my head just as I wanted to be.) I think that is in part due to the fact that the tank (and bc) didn't move. I am not sure where in FL you are, but there are a few places that will rent bp/w and trying one may help you make your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom