Dive Rite Nomad LS - Feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering purchasing the Dive Rite Nomad LS system and giving sidemount diving a try. My goal is cave diving with dual steel LP85 tanks in a 5mm wetsuit. Would I need additional weight to be able to hold a safety stop on minimal air? The buoyancy spreadsheet says I likely would. Could I make that weight ditchable somehow in case I suffer a BC failure? I notice that the BC has a dual bladder option, but the backup bladder has only 20lbs of lift vs 35 lbs on the primary bladder. In case of BC failure, should I attach the dive rite "no mount tank bcs" to my tanks? Finally, any other things I need to be thinking about with the Nomad LS system? Advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!

in a 5mm wetsuit, likely yes, but it should only be a few pounds. small ditchable pockets on the harness, weight belt, carrying a msr bag or lift bag are all options.

I would recommend completing your cave training first if you are going to do that in backmount. Once you get situated and stable, then look at moving to a sidemount system, and then you'll be better able to evaluate which is the best for you as you'll have a better idea of your requirements.

The Nomad LS is a perfectly suitable rig, but there may be others that are better for you. I wouldn't jump to make any major changes before you are done with training and stable though. If you switch before training, that's fine, but I would commit to one system first.

I am considering purchasing the Dive Rite Nomad LS system and giving sidemount diving a try. My goal is cave diving with dual steel LP85 tanks in a 5mm wetsuit. Would I need additional weight to be able to hold a safety stop on minimal air? The buoyancy spreadsheet says I likely would. Could I make that weight ditchable somehow in case I suffer a BC failure? I notice that the BC has a dual bladder option, but the backup bladder has only 20lbs of lift vs 35 lbs on the primary bladder. In case of BC failure, should I attach the dive rite "no mount tank bcs" to my tanks? Finally, any other things I need to be thinking about with the Nomad LS system? Advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!
"For caves you can always crawl out" GI3 c. 2000

No dual bladder
For goodness sakes NOOOOO no mount bladders, just nooo

You should be thinking of doing cave in a simple backmount rig and save your new gear money for actual diving.

As a sm and bm cave diver who prefers sm open circuit, just learn to cave dive in bm doubles first. You’ve got a lot to learn, and futzing with sm configurations is a lot of work. Even if you have a big name sm instructor as I did. Learn to cave dive first. Then have the experience to see if you want to start sm. If you’re asking if a set of steel 85s and a wetsuit will require extra weight, then you are very early in your tech infancy. That should be an easily answered question. You have a goal of cave diving. Don’t meander.

Aight... I won't futz with SM till after cave cert. Trying to get in as much practice between now and then in my BM double 85s.

You’ve heard from the seasoned instructors, so let me give you my perspective as a student who recently went through this, for whatever it’s worth.

I recently completed Intro to Cave. It was my first real tech class, and I did it in sidemount as a shoulder problem makes doubles difficult for me (ignore avatar). I did have a rigorous open water sidemount course already under my belt.

If you are already diving doubles I agree wholeheartedly that you should do cave in that configuration. Trying to master sidemount and learn all that cave throws at you is an awful lot at times. When you get highly task-loaded something’s gonna give. I was not totally proficient with SM and it made my life harder during the initial phase of the cave course. Sidemount adds extra task-loading. Why add complexity unnecessarily. Stick to your focus of learning cave.

You’ve heard from the seasoned instructors, so let me give you my perspective as a student who recently went through this, for whatever it’s worth.

I recently completed Intro to Cave. It was my first real tech class, and I did it in sidemount as a shoulder problem makes doubles difficult for me (ignore avatar). I did have a rigorous open water sidemount course already under my belt.

If you are already diving doubles I agree wholeheartedly that you should do cave in that configuration. Trying to master sidemount and learn all that cave throws at you is an awful lot at times. When you get highly task-loaded something’s gonna give. I was not totally proficient with SM and it made my life harder during the initial phase of the cave course. Sidemount adds extra task-loading. Why add complexity unnecessarily. Stick to your focus of learning cave.

besides the task loading every instructor has their opinion on sm as well as how sm should be done. Some want valves down. Some valves up. Some in. Some two long hoses. Some teach inflator routing different ways. It wpuld be great if all instructors could care less as long as youre proficient. But that not always the case. I’ve witnessed several instructors tear down a new cave students’ sm ways, and require they dive “their” way.
So really its not worth the headache.
For me, we did cavern and cave 1 in bm. Walking to a dive site, my wife who weighs 100lbs tripped on a root and almost very badly hurt herself. We chose to move to sm because of it. Some days i really love sm. When i need to deal with alot of stages I prefer bm and off boats I prefer bm. My wife started crossfit and gained 10lbs of muscle so its alot harder for doubles to take her down now and she personally prefers bm. Some days walking bottles to the water I wish I was diving bm.
I always say learn bm first. Become proficient. Then learn sm. You will be a well rounded diver because of it.

We dive sidemount with LP85s and often an AL 80 stage. No additional lead required even in my 7 mil. Your training progression and choice of rigs is an all together different matter but that is my answer to your original question. Redundant bladder questions are questions best asked of your instructor as you may get an answer here that your instructor rejects so consult with them before buying gear. Also diving a heavy wetsuit with this configuration has some issues to acknowledge. Enjoy your journey. We are enjoying ours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom