Dive rite SL 250 vs light monkey 250

• Dive rite SL 250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light monkey 250

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m looking at a 250 primary for wreck and cavern. I’ve narrowed it down to the dive rite SL or the light monkey. Any insights would be appreciated.

I don’t like the SL but also have spent the past decade using the Halcyon/Salvo/LM ones. The only downside with the LM one is that there’s no stop out so it is possible to unscrew then lock screw in its entirety.

I don’t like the SL but also have spent the past decade using the Halcyon/Salvo/LM ones. The only downside with the LM one is that there’s no stop out so it is possible to unscrew then lock screw in its entirety.
Is there a reel that you would recommend other than the LM?

If you’re wanting a sidewinder style, LM or Halcyon. I’ve never lost a lock screw but others have lamented theirs. I think some of the Halcyon have a notch on the threads to prevent loss of the wheel. The DR Classic is tried and tested and go for used fairly cheaply if that style is on your radar. I haven’t used the Divesoft but they are in similar price range.

I have and use my dive rite slide lock, and it's nice. If I were diving primarily in salt water, I'd want something with more delrin, less metal. The metal will be fine, but I know even with good rinsing, it will discolor and be more prone to corrosion, all else equal.

Either way, I would not worry. Part of technical diving is accumulating too much gear, soon enough you will have multiple primary reels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom