Dive Rite Trans plate discontinued?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received an Email from Leisure Pro saying the the Trans plate harness had now been discontinued. Anyone else know about this? I'm still on the fence between ordering the Dive Rite Trans Plate harness or their Hog harness. Not necessarily from Leisure Pro mind you, they're just a place I monitor for price etc. Thanks.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I just received an Email from Leisure Pro saying the the Trans plate harness had now been discontinued. Anyone else know about this? I'm still on the fence between ordering the Dive Rite Trans Plate harness or their Hog harness. Not necessarily from Leisure Pro mind you, they're just a place I monitor for price etc. Thanks.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Visit divegearexpress.com to see if it's really discontinued, you cal also e-mail them.

Hi MichigandiverJon,
We have not discontinued the TransPlate XT harness. It continues to be one of our more popular products. We did do an update to the harness last summer, adding the new XT chestplates making the harness even more adjustable. For more details check out the TransPlate XT page on our website: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPlate Harness . Don't hesitate to ask any other questions.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Hi MichigandiverJon,
We have not discontinued the TransPlate XT harness. It continues to be one of our more popular products. We did do an update to the harness last summer, adding the new XT chestplates making the harness even more adjustable. For more details check out the TransPlate XT page on our website: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPlate Harness . Don't hesitate to ask any other questions.

Safe Diving,
Jared
Ok, That's quite a relief! I was worried for a bit as I've been looking and comparing for months now and have pretty much settled on Dive Rite for a new BP/W to start to expand my diving horizons. Thank you very much for clearing that up!

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

Hi Jared@ Dive Rite, I do have one other question related to this now that I think about it. First, a (short?) explanation. I will be eventually taking Tech classes and with that in mind, I've been upgrading/replacing my equipment. But I will still be diving within recreational limits frequently as well. My question relates to recommended wings. I know it's best to have dedicated wings for single and doubles, and I will still be diving single tanks for awhile yet, but what are your thoughts on the Voyager35 vs. Rec45 wings? I'm currently leaning toward the Voyager 35lb, but would the Rec be a decent choice as well? I will be using doubles eventually, but I still see single tanks as being the majority of my diving even after Tech cert.

For additional info: I'm currently diving in cold fresh water with a jacket bc, a dry suit and heavy insulation with 30 to 32 lbs total weight including two 2lb ankle weights for trim with an AL80. With 30 lbs I'm not over weighted at the end of the dive by any means. This year, in addition to the Trans Plate I'll be purchasing:D, I'm adding a steel Hp 120 into the mix for my deeper dives as well. Your opinion is most welcome thank you.

Ok, That's quite a relief! I was worried for a bit as I've been looking and comparing for months now and have pretty much settled on Dive Rite for a new BP/W to start to expand my diving horizons. Thank you very much for clearing that up!

---------- Post added January 19th, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

Hi Jared@ Dive Rite, I do have one other question related to this now that I think about it. First, a (short?) explanation. I will be eventually taking Tech classes and with that in mind, I've been upgrading/replacing my equipment. But I will still be diving within recreational limits frequently as well. My question relates to recommended wings. I know it's best to have dedicated wings for single and doubles, and I will still be diving single tanks for awhile yet, but what are your thoughts on the Voyager35 vs. Rec45 wings? I'm currently leaning toward the Voyager 35lb, but would the Rec be a decent choice as well? I will be using doubles eventually, but I still see single tanks as being the majority of my diving even after Tech cert.

For additional info: I'm currently diving in cold fresh water with a jacket bc, a dry suit and heavy insulation with 30 to 32 lbs total weight including two 2lb ankle weights for trim with an AL80. With 30 lbs I'm not over weighted at the end of the dive by any means. This year, in addition to the Trans Plate I'll be purchasing:D, I'm adding a steel Hp 120 into the mix for my deeper dives as well. Your opinion is most welcome thank you.

Does anybody else have an opinion as far as wing selection here? Or am I asking the wrong questions?

A convertible wing (like the rec 45) is like a multitool. It does many things, but its not particularly good at any of them. The rec wing also uses bungees to cinch down the excess volume, which introduces some problems. A multi-function wing will never be as streamlined as a singles wing. It sounds like you won't be pursuing technical training for some time, so I wouldn't bother with a rec wing. Just get a Voyager (or whatever) single tank wing. It'll be streamlined and easy to manage until you're ready to move up.

Does anybody else have an opinion as far as wing selection here? Or am I asking the wrong questions?

Go with the smallest wing possible. That means when you go single tank, you buy the smallest one that will satisfy your lift requirement. Then when you go double, do the same thing. The money that you dump into tech training will be so much that saving a few hundred bucks on a wing is not going to amount to a hill of beans.

So, for a single tanker, even in cold water gear configuration, I doubt that you'd need a wing bigger than 30-lbs. Since that you're using a drysuit, you probably would be splitting lead weights between BC and weight belt/weight harness. So you can probably even get buy with a 25-lbs wing.

Go with the smallest wing possible. That means when you go single tank, you buy the smallest one that will satisfy your lift requirement. Then when you go double, do the same thing. The money that you dump into tech training will be so much that saving a few hundred bucks on a wing is not going to amount to a hill of beans.

So, for a single tanker, even in cold water gear configuration, I doubt that you'd need a wing bigger than 30-lbs. Since that you're using a drysuit, you probably would be splitting lead weights between BC and weight belt/weight harness. So you can probably even get buy with a 25-lbs wing.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate everyone taking time to help a learning diver!

Now, the next step is finding a wing size. You determine that by first figuring out how much lead you'd need to sink that dry suit of yours.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2014 at 01:06 PM ----------

Michigandiverjon,

One thing that just popped in my mind. The Transplate's chest buckle may interfere with your drysuit's inflator valve.

Or it may not. If you size the Transplate incorrectly, the chest buckle may sit too low on your torso and interferes with your inflavor valve.

I'd suggest go with the Hog harness and avoid this issue altogether. If you're not going to be swapping back between drysuit, wetsuit, skin suit then get the Hog harness, set it up for drysuit and call it a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom