Dive Rite Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taltoz

Registered
Reaction score
What are your thoughts/opinions on the Dive Rite Transpac II with rec wings? To give you a starting point I am specifically comparing it the Genesis Recon BC. Thanks,\\

Taltoz

Taltoz,
After our last post I did a little experimenting with the Recon. And I would have to agree the 75 is probably not the best choice. I would go with the 45 pound lift. I have two different tanks. A heavy steel that weight 60lbs when full and when I inflate my 75lbs Recon I float good and high. But if I have an aluminum 80 and over inflate the big blatter pushes me forward into the water. I dont have the weight in the back to off set the lift back there. The same would be true with any large back inflation BC or wing also.
I like the comfort of the recon. I've been looking at the plate and wing configurations and I dont think you will go wrong with either.
The reason I've been looking at the wings is my daughter will be getting into diving and I need something that will grow with her. and I think the wing will be easy to maintain.

If you think that you will ever get into the technical type of diving, then get the transpac. You will be much happier in the long run.

It is very adjustable for fit. I like it for singles. Don't like it with doubles though. The tanks will shift on it since it isn't a hard mount. Every other soft BC I've tried did the same thing. For doubles I use my backplate.
If you're considering a TransPac I'd suggest the Trek Wing. It is a little smaller than the Rec and It's around 45lbs of lift. More than you'll need for a Single. And also good with Duals as long as you're not riggin stage tanks too. I use Single Steel HP100's, LP 112's and Aluminum 80's with it. Most people opt for the Rec wing thinking it's a good size for double's later but I don't suggest it.
Oh, If you get into cave diving the TransPac can be set up for side mount too. I just see more Options with the Transpac. It can change with your needs.
If considering a backplate and harness though. I'd go for it. I use one for singles with the Halcyon Stainless backplate and 27lb wing. It's sweet. And as far as options, it can be set up in more way's than a Swiss Army Knife. And be perfect for all types of diving I can think of. Not just cave.

Thanks for the helpful respsonses. Just thought I would add a little more info so you could better understand my choices. My local dive shop is a Genesis dealer and so I could just deal directly with them for the equipent. The recon (for those unfamiliar) has the option to add a tech backplate so you could mount doubles if needed.

While the Transpac II might be a better choice for the distant future if I get into tech diving I would have to deal with either a non-local shop of an online dealer.

Thanks for the help.

Taltoz

Taltoz,
What type of diving to you anticipate on doing? I would look into doing wreck diving if you get in the ocean very much. Would the Recon meet your requirments for that type of diving?

Given my location in Florida (north to the point I am closer to GA than most georgians)the majority of my dives will be in springs. Of course since the ocean is kinda close :froggy: I will definitly be doing as much wreck diving as possible. Since I am not very familiar with the needs of wreck diving I am definatly relying on this board for advice.

Taltoz

I was down in Mayport last Week. Didnt get to dive but I was down in your area. I dont wreck dive yet so I cant help there.
Anybody else.
Hey I'm looking to start doing a yearly thing in FL to come down in Feb-Mar and do clear water kick off dive. Maybe we could hook up for one.

Sure. Feel free to email me at jjohnson@cornerstonecs.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom