Dive Rite TravelPac BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After a long time, I have finally decided to switch to a back inflated BCD. Light and compact gear for traveling is one of my concerns, so the Dive Rite TravelPac seemed to be a solid option with a reasonable price, especially since I dive with 8 lbs in saltwater using a 3 mm.

I had a dive shop strongly advise me against the TravelPac because of lift and stability issues. They said they recommend at least 35 lbs of lift for safe diving (TravelPac has 25). They suggested the xdeep ghost. That one does look like it is better, but it is pricier too.

So I wanted some opinions on the pros and cons of the TravelPac, and also some advice on where to attach weight pockets if I decide to buy it.

I weigh around 160 lbs and I'm not very buoyant. I am not a technical diver, and I do not want a backplate and wing at the moment. I will also not be doing any cold water diving anytime soon.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

I love my travelpac and I use cave-filled steel 95's while wearing 4-8lbs of weight and wearing a seven mil suit.

I have never had a problem with lift.

How do you have your weights set up?

In multiples of coated 2lb lead weights on two different belts(I only use one at a time, one set four and one set eight pounds.). Since it isn't much weight, I use rubber freediving belts that also contract and compensate at depth. Never had one of those get loose at depth.

You can get ditchable weight pockets for the BC but I prefer to keep a bit of weight on myself in case I have to take my rig off underwater.

I've been using the TravelPac for about 100 dives for tropical diving. With a 3 mil shorty and AL80 tanks I use two 2 pound weights on the tank strap for trim (in XS Scuba weight pockets) and six pounds on a weight belt.

No problem at the surface with partially inflated wing, just lean back and float.

Do the weight pockets get in the way of the tank strap velcro?

Also, since I'm new to back inflated BCDs, what's the deal with the weights on the tank straps for trim? Do you attach your weight pockets to the top or bottom strap? Could you send a link for these XS Scuba weight pockets?

Also, I'm 5'10"/160 lbs. Would it better to get a medium or a large?

Thanks!

Do the weight pockets get in the way of the tank strap velcro?

Also, since I'm new to back inflated BCDs, what's the deal with the weights on the tank straps for trim? Do you attach your weight pockets to the top or bottom strap? Could you send a link for these XS Scuba weight pockets?

Also, I'm 5'10"/160 lbs. Would it better to get a medium or a large?

Thanks!

The weight pockets DO get in the way of the tank strap velcro and after trying a couple of different configurations including moving the strap around and pushing the weight pockets as close to my back as possible, I ended up getting a different strap similar to these: Highland Tank Straps, w/ Quick Release Cam Buckle (PAIR).

I have an older Travel-Pac with a single tank strap and having 2 would be a very nice upgrade. The reason I put weight pockets on the tank strap is to get better horizontal trim. I use 6 pounds on my weight belt, 4 pounds on the tank strap and get what I feel is better trim. Link to the weight pouches: XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket - BCD Accessories - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

The weight pouches are from ScubaToys where I got my Travel-Pac. They gave me good advice on sizing. I am about the same height and weight as you and narrow shouldered (built like a runner), I went with a Medium which has been perfect. The different sizes deal with the length of the straps, size of the soft plate and length of the inflator. The lift is the same, 25 lbs., for all the sizes.

BTW, the crotch strap is a huge benefit as well, as you will find out. It makes everything feel much more stable.

It also would be beneficial to watch the Dive Rite Youtube videos on fitting and donning their BCD.

Fitting: Donning:

Thanks for the advice!

Right now, I think am leaning more towards this BC:

OMS IQ LITE PERFORMANCE MONO

It comes with integrated weight pockets, so I guess it would be more convenient. I worry about the horizontal trim though, now that you mentioned.

Another dummy question: if you had two tank straps, would you attach the weight pockets to the top or bottom one?

Back
Top Bottom