Dive Shop Break-in: Ann Arbor, MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
(I've posted this in other forums too, but I want to get the widest audience possible.)
Hello all, new member here.
I'm Rachael Kasper, co-owner of Huron Scuba in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Sorry to sign in on a negative note, I know many of you are our customers.

Saturday night 12/4, we were hit for over $10,000 in equipment (and my personal bicycle that I just got this fall as a birthday present and used to tote our little kids around in a bike trailer).

Please keep an eye and ear out for anyone boasting, selling, or using the following (all new equipment, not used). (I am posting descriptions and serial numbers at http://www.stolenscubagear.com).

Halcyon Explorer MC System (ss plate, 55# explorer wing)
Halcyon Eclipse MC System (ss plate, 40# eclipse wing)
Various Halcyon equiment, including DIR hose kits, two steel backplates, three spools, 15 lb per side ACB weight system, etc.
Various Dive Rite accessories, including zipper pockets, shoulder straps, and cummerbunds for the Transpac.
Dive Rite independent doubles setup.
OMS and Dive Rite reels.
Three manifolds (one Halcyon, one Dive rite both 200 bar 3/4" thd, plus one Thermo 300 bar 3/4" thread) and one thermo h-valve setup
Aqualung titan Micra ADJ regulators (two)
Scubapro Smart com console computer
Scubapro Pro Ultra computer console
Suunto Cobra computer w/QD and compass
Assorted Scubapro regulators
One Daka Seascooter (this is the one currently being promoted by PADI in all the dive mags) with a spare battery
Trek 7300FX bicycle (2005 model, silver color, "hybrid" bike with mountain bike frame & handlebars but skinnier tires)
DAN dual-cylinder oxygen kit in green pelican case
And various and sundry other stuff.

In the process of the break-in, they also did about $1000 or more in damage to the facility.

If anyone has any information, or would like to share a tip, please contact me via this board or via private message to: rachael@huronscuba.com or fax 734-994-1597, or call Dave or Rachael at 734-994-3483. Your identity will be kept in complete confidence.

This person knew the shop well enough to circumvent the cameras and security system, but is not recent enough to be aware of some changes we've made lately.

We suspect it is someone with a grudge against the shop (or the owners personally), who got drunk on a Saturday night and made an emotional assault. Obscentities and taunts were carved on the walls by a pink Apollo leg knife which formerly belonged to co-owner Dave Kasper (which was then stabbed into the drywall) and by ballpoint pen. They tried to tunnel through the drywall to avoid triggering door alarms.

They were very selective in gear stolen (took Halcyon backplates but left Dive Rite, took Halcyon spools but left Dive Rite, for example). Looks like they are trying to start up a DIR setup, but own Dive Rite already (Transpac accessories were also stolen, but not wings). They left behind a $665 recreational BC, the other scooter, and the other bicycle (setup for a tall man).

Great Lakes area divers, and technical divers who deal with Michiganders, please go through your memories. Instructors, look carefully at your students with new gear. The dive community is close-knit enough that you may know this person.

This person probably bragged either before or after the crime that they might, or could have, done this. They may have carried or commented on a bright pink dive knife in a pink sheath. They had a grudge against Huron Scuba. They are confident they will not be caught. They are short of stature (probably 5-4 to 5-7) and likely had at least one accomplice who is not very dive-knowledgable. This person left a hair at the scene along with handwriting samples on the wall.

As a theft of over $10,000, this is a serious felony punishable by prison time. Please give any help you can to catch the criminal and bring them to justice. Again, your identity will be kept in strictest confidence. If you prefer to contact the officer in charge, call Deputy Kirby of the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office at 734-971-8400 x 67289, reference case 04-49730, or email him at kirbym@ewashtenaw.org.

Thank you for any help you can give. (And if you'd like to help us recover our losses by supporting us in gear sales, we were by no means cleaned out and welcome your support. We've got a big deductible to cover.)

Happy Holiday season to all.

Rachael Kasper
President & Co-Owner
Huron Scuba Adventures, Inc.

Rachel - sorry to hear about this nightmare. You might want to keep an eye on e-Bay and consider sending a list (with serial numbers) of any high-ticket items that will need periodic servicing to local shops throughout the area.

Rachel-

As a 10-year resident of Ann Arbor (now in Nashville), I'm so sorry to hear about the crime committed against you & your store. I always suggest Huron Scuba as my store of choice in the area, and I wish I were closer to help recoup some of your losses; I could definitely do a little Xmas shopping there!

Best of luck with the repairs, and I hope ya catch the loser.

Jim

Rachael,

I forwarded this to the presidents of both the Ford Sea Lancers and Ford Sea Horses SCUBA clubs to forward to their members yesterday. That should cover 100+ local divers quickly.

Also, if you need them, I have the email address of 20 or so SCUBA shops in Michigan, just let me know. My total rig was stolen earlier this year and ended up doing a lot of research to get the word out to the shops. Luckily every single piece of my gear was returned unharmed. Hopefully you will have as much luck.

Paula

This being a different type of situation than Paula's, I hope that they catch this one. If the culprits are stupid enough to try to hawk the stuff in the general area, I am sure that they will. The best suggestion that I have heard is E-Bay. The gear will be too hot for the general area, especially now. The community of divers that use this kind of gear is a little tight.

I am sure that the police detectives have already mentioned any ideas that I might have about finding someone with the personal issues to do this kind of damage. So, good luck!

PS, I was also on the list of divers that got the e-mail version. Be assured that any of my buddies are covered too.

Rachel,

I forwarded this on to the Diver's Mast located here in Jackson, MI. I hope you are able to recover your stolen equipment.

Mitten Diver

HuronScuba:
This person knew the shop well enough to circumvent the cameras and security system, but is not recent enough to be aware of some changes we've made lately.

We suspect it is someone with a grudge against the shop (or the owners personally), who got drunk on a Saturday night and made an emotional assault.
You honestly think this person was drunk? A drunk usually doesn't give 2 rats arses about being seen on a camera and usually isn't smart enough to escape them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom