Dive shop/stay for 28 hour layover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am having an extended layover in May in CUR, arriving from BON at 8:30am and leaving at 1pm the next day.
Would love to squeeze in 2 dives and maybe some sightseeing.

Any recommendation as to dive shop close by and area to stay?

I am thinking about renting a car from Hertz. With Amex Plat, I pay 1 day only for 28 hours of rental. Is the local Hertz licensee reputable? Their CDW about 12 bucks - should I get it just for peace of mind and avoid common damage scams by rental companies in the Caribbean?

Thanks.

we always recommend 24hrs between flying and your last dive. so i don't see how you could do it. that said, many will only take a 12 to 18hr break if only doing a small amount of diving. if you have not done any other dives before this, some "might" do one or two on that layover. i am not one of them.

we always recommend 24hrs between flying and your last dive. so i don't see how you could do it. that said, many will only take a 12 to 18hr break if only doing a small amount of diving. if you have not done any other dives before this, some "might" do one or two on that layover. i am not one of them.

I plan to do 1-2 tank morning rec dives right after landing which should give me 22-24 hours of surface time.
I am not doing deco dives and I usually do extended safety stop for the last dive, so I am comfortable with my plan.

I suspect you've not gotten much for replies because diving there on such a short layover doesn't really seem practical, even if you can technically squeeze in dives with enough surface time. (Right after landing...after you get off the plane, and get through the airport, and pickup the car, and get...where?)

I like diving in Curacao, much prefer it to Bonaire. But on a short layover like that I personally wouldn't mess with diving, not to mention getting everything wet unless you're renting. I'd stick with getting a car and sightseeing, there's lots to see and plenty of good restaurants (all of which has been covered on other threads.) If you wanted to mostly check out the shopping, museums, and the many sights downtown, you could just stay in a hotel downtown and walk to many things. Maybe the Renaissance if you want a resorty environment, or the Dive Lodge (I don't know if they actually have diving at the site of the Lodge or anything that would work for you.) Or lots of choices depending what you want. Or you could stay in a hotel in the Piscadera Bay area which is still convenient to town and if you're less into cities and more into heading out to see the scenery. There's a Marriott Beach resort there which just reopened after renovations, and some others - also a couple dive shops nearby. (AFAIK no shop on Marriott property anymore, which is a shame because they reputedly had a decent shore dive from the old shop there and it might have worked )

That said, I expect you'd not make any morning dive boats so you'd be talking shore diving. (You with someone or need a buddy too?) There's dive shops right at some beaches and some lodgings with house reefs, but It's not a lot of time to get the lay of the land and get to the better shore diving sites, most of which will be more along the western part of the island. You could maybe stay at Lions Dive (east of town) for the night and just shore dive there, though not my favorite spot for shore diving. Or look up the Dive Bus which does shore diving in various locations, and see if they can work with your schedule. Or maybe Relaxed Guided Dives could work with you.

I never dive the day before I fly. Damselfish is on the right track. Perhaps you look into Lions Dive. Ocean encounters is onsite op and across the street is Dive Bus. Great options of walk to restaurants all along the Mambo SeaAquarium beach. No need for a car with that choice.

I plan to do 1-2 tank morning rec dives right after landing which should give me 22-24 hours of surface time.

If your flight arrives in CUR at 8:30, that doesn't leave much time for diving. Consider the time it takes to get your bags, rent a car, drive to a dive shop, etc. Their regularly-scheduled morning dives are likely already done or at least underway by the time you arrive at the dive shop. I suppose if a dive shop customizes an itinerary for you, it could be possible to be in the water by 11:00 or so.

If your flight arrives in CUR at 8:30, that doesn't leave much time for diving. Consider the time it takes to get your bags, rent a car, drive to a dive shop, etc. Their regularly-scheduled morning dives are likely already done or at least underway by the time you arrive at the dive shop. I suppose if a dive shop customizes an itinerary for you, it could be possible to be in the water by 11:00 or so.

If you hit the closest shore-accessible sites, you can do 2x1-hour dives w/ an hour SI and be done by 2 pm, so it's not impossible... if you can rent tanks on-site, or on the way from the airport. But you are looking at 20-22 hours before the flight, not 24.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom