Dive shops and training: the disconnect with reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok fine

I calculated 19cf of gas required to bail out from 130 feet, including two minutes at depth to work out any issues, normal ascent rate of 60ft/min, and a 3min safety stop at 15 feet.

That gives sufficient gas in a 19 cf pony bottle.

How about steak? Salad bar would be nice too.

5ata * 1 cu ft (SAC) *2 min =10 cu ft
2 min ascent at 3 ata *1 = 5 cu ft
3 min SS using 2 ata * 1 = 6 cu ft
21 cu ft.

Maybe your SAC rate will be better than that under stress and maybe not. That's not a great plan but better than nothing if you understood it but not great.

Now can I have his steak?

5ata * 1 cu ft (SAC) *2 min =10 cu ft
2 min ascent at 3 ata *1 = 5 cu ft
3 min SS using 2 ata * 1 = 6 cu ft
21 cu ft.

Maybe your SAC rate will be better than that under stress and maybe not. That's not a great plan but better than nothing if you understood it but not great.

Now can I have his steak?

Yea it is much better than his plan to swim up as fast as he can until he got to 15ft then stay there til he ran out of air and then surface. Not conservative enough for me but that is what I was getting at before when I said perhaps he is more risk tolerant than me. And hopefully he is aware of the limitations in that plan.

If you fly to Melbourne I will buy you a steak. :) But not because of the plan, I just love catching up with overseas diving visitors :)

I rarely do any buddy diving, if I do it's because I've been involuntarily hooked up with an instabuddy and I do not plan a reserve for them nor do I change my plan accordingly.

Thank you Hank for the informative post. This is the type of thing people ought to know about a person.

I had to chuckle at this one, because the lead instructor in one of our local shops hasn't ever dived anywhere in Puget Sound except the training sites :)

Now THAT is just wrong.

I am looking forward to visiting your neck of the woods one of these days, sounds like you have a fascinating area to dive it (if a little harder than some).

Now THAT is just wrong.

I am looking forward to visiting your neck of the woods one of these days, sounds like you have a fascinating area to dive it (if a little harder than some).

I'm looking forward to your visit ... you're one of the people on my "folks I'd like to dive with" list. Let us know when you can make it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm looking forward to your visit ... you're one of the people on my "folks I'd like to dive with" list. Let us know when you can make it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CC me when it happens. I'll bring the cookies!

well, is simple

if you enter in the first car shop next home, willy-nilly, and you don't know anything about cars, probably they sell you the worst car they have, at the biggest price possible.

other way
if you look around for satisfied customers, you read some magazines about cars and you try different cars, probably you will go in a very honest shop, and you'll buy best cars for you and you'll take it for a good price.

if you are not happy about your dive-school, about your dive instructor, about your dive shop, the fault is yours.
Learn to choose, for everything in your life from your car to your wife/husband to your dive school and equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom