Dive shops in Jamaica- Montego Bay area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am leaving on a last minute trip and need some advice for dive shops in the Montego Bay area. I've never dived Jamaica before. My guest is doing the PADI online course and wants to complete her cert while we are in Jamaica. Do you have any favorite shops and can you help me with any info? Should we contact PADI first? Thank you for your help!

The diving around montego bay is pretty poor it is extremely overfished it's not really as a diving destination most of the big resorts offer diving as an activity but not THE activity.

Reactions: Foo
The diving around montego bay is pretty poor it is extremely overfished it's not really as a diving destination most of the big resorts offer diving as an activity but not THE activity.[/QUOTE

And I'm not getting a response from our resort, I've inquired about on-site dive ops.

I know this... hence my ignorance about dive ops. I am going to Jamaica and I will dive. I didn't choose Jamaica FOR a dive trip. Thanks for trying to help though.

Bluefish Dive Center in Ocho Rios. It will be about an hour drive but you can take in local flavor otw.
Reef Explorer in Negril

ScuabCaribe has locations in ocho and negril so that's an idea

Call talk to them. The culture there is amazing, they will be helpful.

Montego Bay is not the best area for diving so I hear, never dove it, yet. Maybe next trip. I have had great experiences in Ocho and Negril.

Negril the reefs are nice the sea-life is sparser and there are more dives at greater depth, compared to ocho you have more under the 60' marker, more sea-life imo and just as gorgeous reefs.

You can also talk to them about Lion fish hunting most of the ops there are big into doing that. I got my first lion in Ocho, interesting to watch them clean it on the boat while underway sitting on the swim platform.

Reactions: Foo
Thank you Matt! I appreciate the recommendations for Negril. I’m going there after Montego Bay, but will be staying at Sandals and their diving is included, no extra fees so that’s the dive op for me in Negril, lol!

Montego Bay is really what I need at this time. I contacted PADI and they have a list, I’ll through it and find a good one. I know the diving isn’t “good” at Montego Bay, but I promise it will beat the hell out of Texas swamps. It’s got to be better than no diving at all, which is what I’m sick and tired of.

I have another purpose for going to Jamaica, it’s not a dive trip, per se’. It’s more to know what to expect when I send clients to Jamaica at this time, and to do site inspections of some resorts. A recon trip. I went to Mexico for the same reason but at the time we didn’t dive (Cancun) as it was the end of July and we felt more comfortable staying 100% on the resort at the time, due to COVID.

I just want to blow some bubbles while I have the chance, so I want to dive some in my spare time. Hoping now that the resort may have a dive shop. I’ll just call them to find out, but I prefer boutique ops. I’m going to Cozumel next month so I’m okay with Montego Bay for now.
Thanks again for your help and to WarrenZ also. I know y’all are just trying to steer me to the better diving, but I need Montego Bay.

which resort?

I dove with Sandals in Negril its not a bad outfit. They have decent loaner gear. Some nice sites, very close. A good boat to get you there in comfort. They do 2 dives a day single tank on each. Be ready for constant selling and offers of upgrades.

Some of the best dives do require AOW

Dressell Divers used to have a presence there, not sure about now ?
Now you're talking, thank you! I saw them the first time I looked and filed it in my mind. I'll message them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom