Dive Sites in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both Fathoms and Reef Encounters within the past year. Fathoms was 6,500 yen for a 2-tank dive using a chartered fishing boat (nice boat roomy, comfortable boat) and Reef Encounter was 9,000 yen using a very nice boat. Both shops took good care of me. Reef Encounters limited us to 50 minutes bottom time maximum per dive and Fathoms gave us more leeway.

I have no complaints about either and would recommend both.

Rickg

After spending 3 weeks in Okinawa, my personal experience was that Fathoms does not have a good local reputation. This stemmed from the tank hydro forging incident and I understand also resulted in the owner of the dive company being kicked out of PADI and shunned from NAUI as well, which is why that individual only personally certifies in IDEA, or some other organization (as I understad the situation). There is a link on the actual news story floating around somewhere, I've seen it posted once or twice. If someone has it, can they post it again.

I've heard that Fathoms can lead some intersting trips like the cave domes up north, but in my mind, why take a chance with an operator that has a history of conscious diver desception endangerment when there are other alternatives...(assuming the news story and local talk is true).

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom