Dive sites within an hour drive of Cincinnati?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfen42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Now that BSQ looks like it will be down for a while, anyone have any suggestions for dive sites within an hour of Cincinnati? Preferably with at least 20' of water... :)

Natural Springs, Cedarville Twin Quarries and Joe's Falling Rock Quarry are probably going to be the closest to Cincinnati. Gilboa is worth the extra drive. Is Hidden Paradise still open? Been YEARS since I've been there, don't even remember what it was like or exactly where it is.
Ber :lilbunny:

Is Hidden Paradise still open? Been YEARS since I've been there, don't even remember what it was like or exactly where it is.
Ber :lilbunny:

I think so. As I recall, I was there last December.

HP might be in the same condition like BS since they are located closely.

Actually, our instructor was camped down at HP and a large piece of the campground flooded and took out 3 campers and 2 trucks. (as of Saturday afternoon)

At that point the HP quarry didn't look like it was going to be over run like BSQ was.

Actually, our instructor was camped down at HP and a large piece of the campground flooded and took out 3 campers and 2 trucks. (as of Saturday afternoon)

At that point the HP quarry didn't look like it was going to be over run like BSQ was.

(Crap... my number of posts has passed my number of dives... I'd better shut up now... :p )

Good.... I don't want to hear any misfortune anymore.

As I recall, the dive site (water level) is way more below than the campground. The campground and main entrance are located over the wall on the picture. If the campground was flooded, I guess the water must flow down to the quarry as well.

Considering the damage that Blue Springs endured from the floods, I called nearby Hidden Paradise to find out how they fared. The Flatrock River did overflow into the quarry, and the lower road is completely washed out. However, the quarry is accessable if anyone dares to take the steps down to the other entry. It is open for diving, but with the flooding, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know there will be zero vis right now.

Just FYI.

Attachments

• Hidden Paradise, IN.jpg
    Hidden Paradise, IN.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 108
Good.... I don't want to hear any misfortune anymore.

As I recall, the dive site (water level) is way more below than the campground. The campground and main entrance are located over the wall on the picture. If the campground was flooded, I guess the water must flow down to the quarry as well.

The area of HP that had flooded when we were there was called the lilypad I believe. It was an area right down next to the river, so when the river overflowed it's banks it went right in there.

When we took a look at the quarry at HP at the time it didn't look like it was getting any flow from the river since it was in an area that was quite a bit higher than the lilypad area.

For now your best bet is probably Natural Springs or Falling Rock. If you haven't been to Joe Clark's Falling Rock Park in La Grange KY, I'd highly recommend you give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom