Dive tables take a back seat in SSI training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently got my C card and during the class we did the computer Traing which was great I just wish I could have a few hours on just how to use the Luna and all the features. Or a class on a Luna

I just finished my SSI OW course on sunday (yesterday) I can confirm that (at least my particular instructors) explained how a computer can help extend bottom times and what the different modes were (planning mode, divelog mode, gauge mode, etc.) this was covered for EXACTLY 5 mins in class and never brought up again.

However they both insisted on "you need three things to dive: a timing device, a pressure gauge and a depth gauge"

Also we were required to be able to use tables efficiently both in class and on our "final academic test"

We also had to tell the instructor (during our OW dives SI) what group we were in, how long we needed to have for an SI to complete the next planned dive, our RT and what our final group would be IF the dive went according to plan. Then fill everything in post dive and adjust if contingency depth was reached instead of planned depth.

once we passed our final academic test (then headed to pool two and OW dives for the next 3 days) we were expected to be proficient using tables to the point of planning "mock dives."

Our instructor even tried to trick us one time by giving us a depth and time that while normally would be ok, due to our built up Residual time it would have put us past NDL. (during our second dives pre dive briefing that is) Everyone kinda went "umm! that doesn't work"

So at least with my instructors and my books and my final academic exam it appeared to me as though computers were mentioned in passing with a LOT of time devoted to comfortability and accuracy with using tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom