Dive Tables VS Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would mention there is risk of user error with tables or computer. I think it’s pretty minimal with a computer you just need to understand how it works. Now tables doing repetitive dives human error is a much bigger factor.

I just want to point this out. DO NOT switch back into computer mode and go diving before your tissues are cleared. Couple days? Sure. After you get out of your first deep dive? NO WAY JOSÉ (if it will even let you). Computers do not track tissue loading in gauge mode. If your tissues are not clear, your computer has no way of calculating for residual nitrogen in your system. To use tursiops analogy, it would be like going on a spending spree with a halfway maxed out card but you think you've got zero balance.

I know that's not at all what Eric was implying, just want to throw that caveat out there for those that aren't aware.
Right! Forgot to mention that.
Kids, if you use tables you must allow your tissues to clear before you switch to your computer. Refer to your training manual.
I was mostly just trying to point out that a basic el cheapo computer will serve as a timing and depth device in gauge mode, rather than buying a watch and separate depth gauge.

Some new user computer problems:

Being in gauge mode by accident (seen that on three occasions recently)
Having deep stops unintentionally enabled and paying attention to them (twice)
Not understanding what NDL means/how it is represented on screen (once)
Not being able to tell the difference between a safety stop and a real stop.
Not understanding that there is a range of depths for a safety stop (pile up at 6m)
Getting all worried by beeping due to ascent rate but actually ok.
Giving excessive attention to the computer at the expense of what is going on around them.
Doing safety stops whenever the computer asks for them even when not necessary and with need to get back on the boat to sort out an issue.

The solution to this is to read and understand the manual plus do some dives where you get a chance to specifically play with the computer. This is easier said than done as what the manuals are saying is pretty abstract until you get in the water.

Final consideration is that more and more operators are beginning to require the use of dive computers. Learn your computer and what it is telling you, if you want to know more then by all means the tables can help a to understand what your computer is doing for you. But, don't do table results vs computer results comparisons. They will almost never match up.

When you guys dive with a computer, do you always bring a watch and table? Or even a second watch? It seems like overkill because computers rarely fail and if they do you can just end the dive?

The real question is how you dive. For example, at depths to ~8 metres you can safely stay down for hours. The only reason I bring my computer to those is for it to record the dive.

Another example is, I normally dive on Caribbean trips. These are multi-day, multiple dives/day. If the computer fails on one of these, my problem would be residual gas loading from previous days/dives: I would have to figure that out before I can switch to either tables or a replacement (rental) computer. So on trips some people dive with two computers, especially in places where a rental computer may not be readily available. I don't, but if my computer fails I may have to skip a dive or two to let that residual loading clear. That's my choice.

I do bring tables and sometimes use them for planning, but they stay in the condo. Similarly I (sometimes remember to) bring my casio on the trip but it usually stays in my shorts topside.

The real question is how you dive. For example, at depths to ~8 metres you can safely stay down for hours. The only reason I bring my computer to those is for it to record the dive.

Another example is, I normally dive on Caribbean trips. These are multi-day, multiple dives/day. If the computer fails on one of these, my problem would be residual gas loading from previous days/dives: I would have to figure that out before I can switch to either tables or a replacement (rental) computer. So on trips some people dive with two computers, especially in places where a rental computer may not be readily available. I don't, but if my computer fails I may have to skip a dive or two to let that residual loading clear. That's my choice.

I do bring tables and sometimes use them for planning, but they stay in the condo. Similarly I (sometimes remember to) bring my casio on the trip but it usually stays in my shorts topside.
Yes--How you dive. I use the watch, etc. on all my 30' shore dives. Why use the computer and have to rinse it properly and not damage it (my Mares Puck is still 8 times as expensive as my dive watch). In fact, why even bother with the watch? Well, I know what time it is. But as mentioned (and for the same reasons others have posted), I use both when depth is deeper. I feel more secure and have a backup if one thing fails.

In Philippines, I believe no diver is allowed to dive without a computer from a registered operator. Whether it is being enforced is another matter.

When I first started diving I felt i would never had need for a computer as I would just be doing less than 20m dives with guides. I could easily memorise enough table info in my head to dive safely. Then I found I wanted to go deeper than 20m and several dive ops require a computer to permit that. I would say definitely buy a computer as it increases your dive time particularly when doing repetitive deep dives. I have been within a few minutes of my NDL several times. It is still useful to have table info in your head just to give you a gut feeling of what your computer should be telling you. My Zoop Novo cost about £150

It is still useful to have table info in your head just to give you a gut feeling of what your computer should be telling you.
Easy enough for the first dive of the day, much harder for repetitive diving.

Yes--How you dive. I use the watch, etc. on all my 30' shore dives. Why use the computer and have to rinse it properly and not damage it (my Mares Puck is still 8 times as expensive as my dive watch). In fact, why even bother with the watch? Well, I know what time it is. But as mentioned (and for the same reasons others have posted), I use both when depth is deeper. I feel more secure and have a backup if one thing fails.
My kids just completed their Open Water cert. I went with them for the weekend. Something happened to my wrist unit, would not power on. No problem. I pulled out my PADI wheel and dove the weekend with it. If I was solely computer dependant I would not have been able to dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom