Dive the Cocos Islands-Plan Ahead for July, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it would be great if we could fill the remaining spots with folks from ScubaBoard. So if any of you folks have ever thought about going to Cocos, take a look at this trip and hopefully sign up. I'd love to meet more Scubaboard members. The weekly reports I'm reading from the Captain of the Okeanos Aggressor have been great.

Hi! I only have 70 dives under my belt, do you recommend to get more experience prior to going to Coco's?

Hi! I only have 70 dives under my belt, do you recommend to get more experience prior to going to Coco's?

That's hard to say. I think it really depends on the individual and how comfortable they feel in their abilities. If you had 70 dives in a quarry then you'd probably need more experience. But if those 70 dives are in the ocean with some experience with currents, then you very well may be just fine. Maybe you should PM Steve Douglas and talk to him about it. He probably knows the conditions there better than anyone and what it takes to dive there. I'll let him know you have asked on this thread.

BDSC

Ashley is correct. It really depends upon where you have dove and your experiences. If you are comfortable in open water and not just in a swimming pool or quarry, then you should have no problems in the Cocos Islands other than to contain your excitement with the number of sharks and marine life you will be seeing. I have had guests come there with only 30 dives and do just fine. The only time I had a problem with a guest was in 1992 when a father brought his son there for his very first open water dive after certification. Both father and son were in over their heads but still had a great time. Don't hesitate to contact either myself or Ash with any questions or concerns you may have. I will say this, I've dove all over the world many times and the Cocos are my absolute, hands down favorite place for large marine pelagics.
Steve

Hey Folks,
This will be my 12th trip to the Cocos Islands as it is, without question, my favorite place to dive for large marine pelagics. Schools of hammerheads numbering in the hundreds, thousands of white tips, hundreds of marble rays, lots of silver tips, silkies and galapogos sharks. Whale sharks on the last 5 trips and the tiger sharks have now made this their home as well. The last trip I led there was in 2008 and I, unfortunately, had to turn many divers down as it filled up quickly. I have booked the whole boat and as of now there are 8 spots left only. Cabins on the Okeanos Aggressor have been fully updated as has been the saloon and upper decks. Each cabin is 4235.00. Everyone prefers to do their own air as they come from all over. Lots more info on my website at
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com and a video from the last trip, Sea Below, What's Beyond? on Vimeo
Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Phone number is on the website.
Steve Douglas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom