Dive Theory Elearning Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. You can't really fail the theory. You just keep doing it until you pass.

But do read the book. It actually has some reasonable information in it. Especially the encyclopedia. Even if it could do with an update in certain places.

so basically none of the 6 sections can be failed? I have the DM package, so I'll read the book

so basically none of the 6 sections can be failed? I have the DM package, so I'll read the book

None of the course can be failed...

It's about development. If you are terrible at swimming and can't complete the swim you don't fail. You'd have to work really hard to fail a DM course. The only way it's really possible is due to attitude.

I learn best hands on top, e-learning is rough for us.

No problem failing exams and retaking them if that's how you learn, you don't need to pay again. It will be shown to your instructor, do you have good communication with them already while you're doing the e-learning. It's intended to be discussed.

Could you somehow slow it down and do more practice on the quizzes instead of rushing to the exam? How about some other learning style, does youtube help? Can you buy a local diver a beverage and have them show you around some gear while talking about the physical nature of dive theory. For me connections to real life help the info stick. Ascent rates matter, not just a number to try to remember a few minutes. Etc.

Its mainly practical things, but presented intellectually...

Feel free to keep posting questions too.

Cheers,
Cameron

None of the course can be failed...

It's about development. If you are terrible at swimming and can't complete the swim you don't fail. You'd have to work really hard to fail a DM course. The only way it's really possible is due to attitude.
Wow my respect for Padi DM’s just went through the roof.

Why? You have to be able to do certain things. And if you can't do them at a certain point in time you can keep working on them until you achieve what's expected.

None of it is inherently difficult. But if someone is weaker in certain areas they can be helped to improve. I don't see that as a negative.

And pretty much all DM type courses are the same. It's not unique to PADI.

With regard to E Learning. If you don't get the required score on each section it takes you back through it. The purpose of E learning is give you the knowledge and reinforce it so you retain it.

During the DM course you will have to sit a paper exam, If you fail it, you'll get another exam (different paper). Tables and ERDPML are the greatest points of failure because people don't use them during their dive career, Dive physics also catches people. It's not hard but you do need to study. There are plenty of online resources to assist you with understanding the questions and dealing with the maths

You may of misconstrued @HantsDiver comment

Yes you can't fail the course by virtue of not reaching a standard and then begin removed from the course.

However you MUST reach the minimum standards to progress. With the Swim tests, there is a total mark you must attain with each of the five elements going towards that mark. Similarly the paper exams have a minimum pass mark per section

The only limitation is that you have a year to complete the course.

At instructor evaluation you can fail. But you can come back to another IE to retake the section you failed, having paid again.

I think you just take it over and over without having to pay. The goal is to get you to remember the information. Remember, they are essentially open book so take your time and search for the right answers. The quizzes can be redone but the failing the exam would mean you would have to pay again iirc

As you will see, you're incorrect. Sometimes it helps to have actual knowledge before replying rather than a guess :wink:

@Diving Dubai is absolutely correct. And I worded things badly.

A well run DM course can be about the most productive thing a recreational diver can do. There are lots of elements you need to complete. And if you have a decent mentor you will find out where you are not so strong and with guidance improve.

There are many curve balls thrown into the course like having to swap kit under water. And if you combine all those things with regular diving and observing/assisting on courses then you will both enjoy it and learn from it.

As you will see, you're incorrect. Sometimes it helps to have actual knowledge before replying rather than a guess :wink:

I was talking about the quizzes in the elearning which can be retaken over and over. I am all for learning something new so if am wrong can you please point out where I went wrong?

Last edited:
@Diving Dubai is absolutely correct. And I worded things badly.

A well run DM course can be about the most productive thing a recreational diver can do. There are lots of elements you need to complete. And if you have a decent mentor you will find out where you are not so strong and with guidance improve.

There are many curve balls thrown into the course like having to swap kit under water. And if you combine all those things with regular diving and observing/assisting on courses then you will both enjoy it and learn from it.

I can second this whole heartily. One of my friends just loves to remind me that I was dismissive of the DM course (that she was thinking of doing), and at the time I had't bothered with. I held the view, like so many that it was an easy course and you would learn nothing as a diver, as it was aimed more at those wishing to become instructors.

How wrong I was.

Bear in mind also that I already held a Dive Leader qual - the BSAC equivalent, and I was certified for Adv deco and could hold stops in trim with a good degree of accuracy (less than 1@ total vertical movement on a blue water stop.

While some of the sections were a breeze, others weren't. On theory I re learnt all my tables and learnt from scratch the ERDPml (which wasn't around when I took OW), not just so I could use them but so I could explain and teach.

My swim tests (800m and 400M) were difficult, I hate swimming - it wasn't' a physical limitation just a mental one. I learnt to get on and deal with it.

The biggest learning came from the skills demonstrations. Not only re learning skills I'd long ago forgotten, but from being able to carry them out slowly and clearly while neutral. I came down to earth with a bump and bruise my personal ego when I found that holding a stop in blue water is a breeze compare with being seemingly motionless in a shallow pool, where if your breathing wasn't' precise you were either on the surface or the pool bottom.

I became a more considerate, patient and tolerant diver (according to my wife) certainly had to take more care, not just to be sen as a role model, but because as a DM or Instructor, no-one buddy checks you, and we're all human and fallible, and often distracted helping others

I discovered the challenge of guiding less experienced divers, where you need to keep them together, not go too fast nor slow, monitor their gas - and keep that picture in your head, gain more situational awareness, e more aware of changing conditions (with with experienced divers is easy you can just push through current etc, not so with novice, where you're trying to get the most dive time from their gas consumption.

But as @HantsDiver stated, it's all about the people that mentor you and challenge you. A DM course shouldn't be a race to complete ASAP, rather a journey to experience and learn as much as you can from.

That friend above? She took her DM (in Mozambique) had a fab time, but the biggest compliment is that she always requests to be my CA when shes' around and I'm teaching. Apparently I challenge her, mentor her and help her develop professionally while she decides if she wants to become an instructor and tech diver

Who would have thought that 2 years ago? Not me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom