Dive Tracker Scout System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

absolutecountry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for anyone who may have used the Dive Tracker Scout System. How well does the system work in very low vis, like say the Cooper River, S.C.. Thinking about purchasing a transmitter and several receivers for our rescue squad dive team members. Pretty hefty investment for an all vol agency, so any input would be great!

I’m going to answer your question with a question. Why are you looking at this? What are you thinking about using it for?

A couple of things to think about. First this is a sonar type device so visibility will have nothing to do with its operation. Sound waves are sound waves and are not related to light waves as far as we are concerned.

In the add they say that; “It was originally designed for sport divers; since then, it has found a variety of applications in underwater commercial and military ventures, law enforcement, and science.”

That statement might be true but you have to understand how this works sometimes. The military for example has a narrow line of equipment compared to Recreational Divers. But when you read adds a wide range of recreational equipment is used by Military and Navy Divers.

It’s not a false statement, just deceiving. Someone will design something like a fin for example. They find a Navy Diver, active or not and give them a pair to use and ask how they like it. If they do say they like it, guess what, it’s now used by Navy Divers. The same goes for the other areas like PSD, Commercial, etc.

There may be RARE operations where it could be useful but I think I’d spend the money on something else like new search ropes. IMHO I don’t want my bacon relying on the Eveready Bunny beating his cymbals. :no

Gary D.

I’m going to answer your question with a question. Why are you looking at this? What are you thinking about using it for?

A couple of things to think about. First this is a sonar type device so visibility will have nothing to do with its operation. Sound waves are sound waves and are not related to light waves as far as we are concerned.

In the add they say that; “It was originally designed for sport divers; since then, it has found a variety of applications in underwater commercial and military ventures, law enforcement, and science.”

That statement might be true but you have to understand how this works sometimes.

Gary is correct in regards to most everything.

To comment on the "quote". The person who started the company, Marco, was/is a sport diver. He invented the Divetracker Sport (then the Scout) because he typically dove alone. It worked; it was our first product.

The US Navy bought 164 sets of the Sports last year (around this time). A dive team (Navy) in Hawaii purchases about 10 transmitters every year. A dive team in Miami, Florida bought up 1 set + 8 receivers for the exact same reason you are. PSUBS.org just bought a set to attach to their SUBs for safety use.

Their is an order on the way from the French EODs for (if I remember correctly) 6 or 7 sets.

On average, I get an order every other day. They work rather well and I can not say that I had any complaints. The only "bug" that people don't like is with the Scout. It is turned on via a magnet and it is, let's say, touchy. I hate it, personally, because I always have a hard time triggering it on. The Sport is turned on via an on/off knob so it's just cut and dry.

My 2c

They find a Navy Diver, active or not and give them a pair to use and ask how they like it. If they do say they like it, guess what, it’s now used by Navy Divers. The same goes for the other areas like PSD, Commercial, etc.

Good point Gary.

Like those ridiculous looking fins that I see is an advertisement on here -- I just about fell out of my chair when I seen those pictures I was laughing so hard. I'd like to hear from even one PSD that uses those things

I have caught a lot of flack for even talking about sonar tracking systems. A a comment from one dive instructor " If you can't navigate with a compass you should not be diving" Interesting ....he is a surveyor....I'll bet he uses GPS equipment.

Most "outdoors People" I know (hunters hikers etc.) use GPS.

Why not use technology for underwater guidance?
Most of us use computers ...instead of dive charts.

I agree with Gary and Bridge in prinicpal on this one but I am also one who likes to keep an open mind.

I know for our team there is no real application for this device because we are always on line and use other devices to mark anything we find while searching. I realize our team is only a small part of the PSD world and that a situation out there might exist for this type of technology. Like Bridge I have yet to hear from anyone on this board how a PSD team might implement this type of technology but I would be interested to hear about it.

On a side note Bridge I am curious to know which "fins" you are talking about becuase I am not sure I have seen the ads you referenced. Over the years I have taken some flack over my choice of Force Fins but they work for me and several of my teammates for many reasons. I don't subscribe to marketing tactics that reference "Military" divers in making my decisions as to what gear I purchase and use for PSD or recreational diving. It comes down to safety first and individual preference. In the past my toes have always felt cramped and my calves strainged with Jets or the like and I have tried many different types. It was always a distraction from diving and made for a less than enjoyable experience. It was not until I used Force Fins that those those things went away. In 11 years of use both in PSD and recreation I have never felt handicapped by my fins. In fact I feel it has improved my abilities and made me a better and safer diver. As always would love to hear from you on this one.

Mark D.

as with any gear or tec is it safe,does it make sense .and in worse case senerio will it work. if the answer to ALL three is yes then its a tool for your box. i dont have enough info to say yea or nea to your scout but i must caution any team looking to replace skill with technology we can improve our skill with tecnology but we must keep our skills sharp so when the technology fails us our skill wont just my thought.

First this is a sonar type device so visibility will have nothing to do with its operation. Sound waves are sound waves and are not related to light waves as far as we are concerned.
This statement is not accurate, since reduced visibility can be caused by more than just reduce "light" waves, and more typically suspended particles, the greater number of suspended particles, the less effective sonar works.

Sonar is usually degraded after storm surges in very muddy waters.

On a side note Bridge I am curious to know which "fins" you are talking about becuase I am not sure I have seen the ads you referenced.
Mark D.
\

Hi Mark

I somehow missed this post, sorry...

The fins I refered to were these ones
Flipfins™ - Fins, best fins, scuba fins, snorkeling fins, diving fins, rescue fins, military fins,navy seals fins, special forces fins, swim fins and float tube fins!
I haven't seen the ad on here in a while

I don't like force fins but I know a lot of people do use them. If it works for you its all good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom