Dive training today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The day started out with our PT testing.
Passed but I’m starting to think this is a young mans job. But then again I beat out two of the snot noses.

We have the option of running 1.5 miles or ridding a bike 5 miles in the same time frame. I ride cuz I hate running. Three of us rode and I finished way ahead.

Then we started the revamp on our policy manual. I wrote the current one back in the 80’s and even the verbiage is different today. We got some done but the rest was given to a committee to which I’m on again.

One change is we are getting rid of our hard-nosed depth limitations. We are going to loosen it up to where with proper training and equipment we can go deeper. The department is even going to let us explore the mixed gas issues other than Nitrox, which for now is still a no no.

Lunch

Load up three boats at the boathouse and head across the lake. We go to the wreck of the Harrison. She is a 150’ stern wheeler that was sunk early in the last century. She sits with her stern in about 15’ and her bow in 50’. It has been a shame to watch her deteriorate over the past 30 years I have been diving her.

Everyone paired up and hit the water. One of our newbe’s was sick and stayed home. I took the other one under my wing. This was his first team dive as well as his first dry suit dive.

First with just his suit and weight belt be get his buoyancy adjusted. Then in 20’ of water I have him do some basic skills to which he did very well. We were on a smaller wreck of the same era so there was plenty for him to look at while I observed.

After 5 minutes he was ready to move 75’ south and see the Harrison. We get there and I don’t think he realized how big she really was.

Now I want him to play with his buoyancy on the wreck. So we go up and down over and around her hull. Prior to the dive I laid the law down and told everyone to stay out of the little bit of her hull that can be penetrated. She is getting just way too fragile to go into.

14 minutes into the dive I look at Snot Nose and he is looking at me upside down. I know, and you can guess what’s next. Call NASA the shuttle has left the pad.

We had been down only 50’ but at 25’ the little bubbles got bigger and so did Snot Nose’s feet. He knew I was getting a good laugh and he was now putting what he had been told not to do into practice. Big lesson learned.

We then went back to shallower water and practiced what he just FUBARed. In the process we were able to take 7 pounds off of him.
Total air used was 600# and 1600# and you can guess who used what. No problem, he’s the new kid on the block, he will learn and get better with time and practice.

Now in getting out of my suit I had something happen that has never happened to me. Zipper won’t open. With the aid of two of the guys and a Leatherman they get me opened up. One tooth on my sealing zipper broke off. That is the first zipper failure for me in that suit in almost 10 years. I can’t complain about service like that at all.

Then we go do a couple of small little shallow jobs them back to marine for whatever. Took care of some gear issues and got into another spare suit for me.

The Sgt. tells me to go ahead and order 3 new DUI’s. I’ll do that in the morning prior to picking up all the gear that just came in at the LDS. He tells me to enjoy the new suit. I say I want to just rebuild mine and I’ll issue out the new ones. I like the old friend.

That’s about it. Another day of fun, oops, slaving away at the old grindstone and collecting a check to do it.

Somebody has to do it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The brass is upset that we are not taking advantage of diving on shift. We can, with adequate manpower on slow shifts, break off in pairs and go dive the last couple of hours of the shift. They want us to do it more often. We are required to make 24 dives a year on our own and these would count towards that.

Oh, the tough duty.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The brass is upset that we are not taking advantage of diving on shift. We can, with adequate manpower on slow shifts, break off in pairs and go dive the last couple of hours of the shift. They want us to do it more often. We are required to make 24 dives a year on our own and these would count towards that.

Oh, the tough duty.

Gary D.

And a paycheck to boot! You probably even qualify for the extra $'s for diving as well.

I am just really glad to hear how things have turned around for you and the team. I remember the previous discussions regarding the old Prison Sargent and how you were just about ready to walk.

Happy diving and don't laugh too hard at the newbies. You were young once too! (err, diving that is!!!!)

Dan

Boater Dan:
And a paycheck to boot! You probably even qualify for the extra $'s for diving as well.

I am just really glad to hear how things have turned around for you and the team. I remember the previous discussions regarding the old Prison Sargent and how you were just about ready to walk.

Happy diving and don't laugh too hard at the newbies. You were young once too! (err, diving that is!!!!)

Dan
The $.40 is added to out hourly rate but doesn't apply to overtime. :D We get it if we dive or don't.

The Capt. is gone as in fired, the Lt. knows they would never find his body and the Sgt. did a 180. In fact the Sgt. is turning out to be the most exciting one we have ever had. He got certified but still isn't sure if he is going to dive with the team or not. We'll get him wet on some easy recovery stuff and he'll get hooked.

We laugh real hard WITH, never at, the newbies. They know it and expect it. We have all worked together for a long time and they know it is all in fun.

I am the first one to get into somebodys face if they ever think they are better than a trainee. I'm always reminding them we were there once. Besides, we can learn as much from them as they do from us so it's an even playing field.

It's amazing how much faster they progress when you treat a trainee with respect and don't belittle them.

As far as the team goes the trainee's expect to and know they will screw up. They also expect and know that we will straighten them up.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom