Dive Travel Poll

When will you start traveling to go diving?

• Within the next six months.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • 6 months - 1 year

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Beyond 1 year

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see massive disruption until we get a vaccine that is widely distributed.

2020 travel will mostly be essential travel with 14-21 days of self-isolation (entering destination country, and then returning to the home country) in some cases.

I don't see myself diving for 18+ months. But when I have a trip planned, I will review some basic dive theory and protocols. I will get my equipment serviced. Then I will ease into some shallow dives, and review basic skills.

Diving is an unessential activity for most; getting control of this pandemic and looking after each other should be our focus.

I'm not sure that it is an nonessential activity for me. The larger picture set aside for the moment, I'm feeling heartbroken.

Yep. If I recall correctly, last season's flu vaccine only claimed 70% protection. Hmmm...

That's a risk that I'd be willing to take, combined with mask and handwashing, to be able to get back to Indonesia for diving. As it happens, that is what I was doing before the Time of Covid.

Very valid points. If the long term end game is to prevent deaths, then surely they can logically equate to prohibit thousands of other things...I mean millions of people die every year from cancer and heart disease caused by tobacco, but hey that industry's worth trillions $$$, so not happening soon.

I believe common sense and spirit of Indonesian people to prevail. No doubt the government will be pushing hard for travel and tourism to get back up and running, especially in Bali, when all the media and "hysteria" settles down. I truly believe natural disasters are more of an imminent threat to people's lives than the covid-19 virus in Indonesia

Good luck with your bisnis

Thinking only of myself for the moment, I need to feel safe to travel to get to Indonesia first, before I can enjoy her delights.

Very valid points. If the long term end game is to prevent deaths, then surely they can logically equate to prohibit thousands of other things...I mean millions of people die every year from cancer and heart disease caused by tobacco, but hey that industry's worth trillions $$$, so not happening soon.

I believe common sense and spirit of Indonesian people to prevail. No doubt the government will be pushing hard for travel and tourism to get back up and running, especially in Bali, when all the media and "hysteria" settles down. I truly believe natural disasters are more of an imminent threat to people's lives than the covid-19 virus in Indonesia

Good luck with your bisnis

To me, other illnesses and natural disasters are not equivalent as they are not contagious.

If someone dies of a heart attack, no one else is infected. Natural disasters are disastrous of course, but many of us don't travel to dive during hurricane season or book a spontaneous trip when we know a volcano is active. Regardless, those things do not infect others.

Yes, certainly, millions will be wanting to get back to their hometowns for Idul Fitri

I think all the transportation resuming also includes people wanting to travel for emergency family issues. My gf trying to get back to Bandung ASAP because her close relative critically ill.

The Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi stated on 06/05/20 :

Even though inter-city public transportation will resume service, Mr Sumadi stated that the general public is still barred from returning to their hometowns and villages to celebrate Idul Fitri with their families.

Exceptions will only be made for people travelling due to “urgent family affairs”, such as attending funerals or tending to sick relatives, he added.

Seems very strange time to allow resumption of some travel if the general public isn't to travel during Idul Fitri.

I am really not sure if that would make things not much worse. Maybe better be patient until 1th of June at least. And the very vulnerable have to be protected. People who are (or should be) on medication for diabetes, asthma, cancer and high bloodpressure for example. Looking at the numbers of a small country as Belgium is shocking.

Yes of course, especially in rural areas in Indo, there are very vulnerable people who are also far away from medical services. Unfortunately the restrictions have most likely contributed to more deaths from undiagnosed illnesses and delayed surgeries and malnutrition. My gf's cousin there went from healthy young man to comatose state in a few days

I am really not sure if that would make things not much worse. Maybe better be patient until 1th of June at least. And the very vulnerable have to be protected. People who are (or should be) on medication for diabetes, asthma, cancer and high bloodpressure for example. Looking at the numbers of a small country as Belgium is shocking.

I really don't know how to interpret other country's numbers, because their figures are each analysed & tallied differently. I know in Australia at present, 6927 cases of infection with 97 deaths. Of those 97 sadly departed victims, almost 100% of them were elderly people. This equates to just over 1% mortality rate of known cases of infection. So in Australia, if a healthy people infected but not an elderly person, the chances are very low of dying or long term damage to health

The problem with misinformation in Indonesia and Australia is that people are thinking corona virus is a death sentence, when it is very far from that

To me, other illnesses and natural disasters are not equivalent as they are not contagious.

If someone dies of a heart attack, no one else is infected. Natural disasters are disastrous of course, but many of us don't travel to dive during hurricane season or book a spontaneous trip when we know a volcano is active. Regardless, those things do not infect others.

Yes of course. I'm not here to argue or be insensitive. I'm only highliting the risk of deaths and the causes of deaths. Restrictions are in place to stop deaths and not to overwhelm health care systems. But with that being the reason, then why don't they eliminate every risk to people's lives?...it just won't be sustainable for the world to continue like that
Being from Australia, I know right now it's taboo to question the restrictions. But I choose to be optimistic about this damned situation. I hope travel and people's lives can return to normal, because I know more people are suffering and will die from this restrictive way of life than from the actual virus

I really don't know how to interpret other country's numbers, because their figures are each analysed & tallied differently. I know in Australia at present, 6927 cases of infection with 97 deaths. Of those 97 sadly departed victims, almost 100% of them were elderly people. This equates to just over 1% mortality rate of known cases of infection. So in Australia, if a healthy people infected but not an elderly person, the chances are very low of dying or long term damage to health

The problem with misinformation in Indonesia and Australia is that people are thinking corona virus is a death sentence, when it is very far from that
Sorry, forget to mention why I picked Belgium. Population 11 million. 6% has been (or still is) infected. 8.500 deaths. When compare mortality rates for March and april 2020 with other periods it shows that these are probably really Covid victims. The chances of dying are very high. Either the real number of infected persons is much higher. This would give a fatality rate maybe of 0.1%. Of a huge number of people this are still many deaths. Or the fatality rate as what is estimated now about 1%. But in Indonesia 67% of the men smoke, there is still much TBC and Diabetes number s growing. With the limited medical everywhere in Indonesia the mortality rate could be much higher. We just do not have the data to know anything yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom