Dive Trip Report 6/11/15 Belmar NJ & Humpback Whale Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We got out on the Venture 3 yesterday and did three stops: Two rockpiles and the NE Sailor.

NOAA was wrong today. Forecasting 3-4 ft seas and up to 20 kt gusts from the SE.

Well, the seas couldn't have been 2 feet and the wind never picked up. The green flies visited us late in the day, which usually means a westernly wind. Regardless of the wind direction, the slight breeze kept the boat nice and cool, and I kept my dry suit on between dives and never get too hot.

The rockpiles were about 50 bottom temp, viz 15 feet. We got sea bass, a few flounder, some bugs and one ugly, toothy monkfish.

On the NE Sailor we had at least 25 ft viz, and the wreck was teeming with nice sized sea bass.

The real treat was on the ride back to Belmar. Captain Paul saw a blowhole spout and steered towards it, and we ended up getting a five minute show from a frolicking Humpback. He breached three times, once about 50 feet in front of the boat. Of course, that's the time I didn't have the camera recording, but if you were lucky enough to be out there, you won't need a video to remember. The video I did get has some really cool shots of him breaching and playing air drum with his flippers.

[video]https://youtu.be/gQUrquj3wDE[/video]

Worth the price of admission - Great Video :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom