Dive Unprofessionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LastManOut

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey SB,

This is my first post! Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong :confused: I hope I'm in the right forum!

I need to raise a little question/have a little rant about what I believe to be one of the the biggest problems facing not only the Dive Industry, but also Dive Centres and their trainees/candidates/instructors etc.

Ego.

Boy this makes me mad. And as sure as Hades is hot, there are some people who just don't have the modesty, humility, and most importantly the training and knowledge required to be an approachable and professional Dive Leader. In the course of the last five years I have met and heard about so many people who are nothing but complete jerks to their students, their co-workers, and pretty much everyone else around them. How does this foster a good image of not only us as professionals, but the dive industry as a whole?

I never tell people what I do half the time because they wink at me and nod knowingly, thinking "Riiight... Dive Instructor". That's the ethos that has come to exist in diving :) I tell them I'm in tourism.

Why don't people realise that at the end of the day, as complex and intricate as the sport of diving is, it remains exactly that - A SPORT. Some may argue that it is a career or lifestyle. That may well be for them, but the words to the song are still the same, no matter how you sing it. The same people don't grasp that being a diver or an instructor or whatever you are isn't a high rung in the social ladder or a testament to your bravery... It's just another job, it's something you enjoy doing.

But it's not only the dive pro's who succumb to the idiocy of an overinflated ego. Newly certified (<50 dives) divers are SHOCKING for it. I had an American chap come on board a boat once like he owned the place. Fat, loud, and obviously rich due to the thousands of dollars worth of gear he brought on, we had him spotted before he reached the turn of the U-berth. Swung his 35-dive logbook around, annoyed the other customers, yelled at staff for a low air fill of ONLY 210 bar ("Can't your crew do any better than that?") and then proceeded to tell us he may be bent after a 25 minute dive to twelve metres and missed his safety stop because he used all his air. I wish I had caught it all on camera to show my future students.

A final point - having an absolute tosser for a teacher can ruin the chances of you doing anything past your Open Water course. They talk loudly about their extensive experience and number of dives and grow large amounts of facial hair and are generally disliked. One instructor i know actually walked into a classroom full of students for an Open Water course, took off his sunglasses, sat on the desk and said, "For the next four days, you can call me God." I had to sit down with his boss over several beers and have a laugh over that one - it tops my list of ego-trash.

When I used to teach courses for Cairns Dive Centre (the biggest SSI certifying agency in the Southern Hemisphere), we spent hours on my boss' front deck deliberating over what makes a Dive Leader/"Good" Diver worth their weight in cornflakes. Maybe you guys can let me know what you have come up with in your experience... and this applies to everyone - professionals, weekend warriors, and brand new divers alike. Can't wait to hear your ideas :)

Thanking you!

-- Nemo

Sometimes the only reason a person is a &#8220;professional&#8221; is because they got paid for the task once.

On the other hand, I know many &#8220;professionals&#8221; that are personifications of what the term implies.

I know which code of ethics that I try to live by, and that is the best I can do. What more do you want from me?

I know the louts you talk about that are "customers." Your description fits it to a "T"

I haven't come by ANY professionals that think they are GOD. And I have tons of experience both in the US and International. Anyone I have worked with locally (certified through Rescue, working on DM) have been nothing less than nice. Anyone I came into contact with boat diving in the Channel Islands off S. California, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, Victoria to Pt. Hardy, Canada, Galapagos etc. have been wonderful. They know where their tip comes from.

It may be that I'm a tall, blue eyed blond who is nice to them.

Right on the money Tom :) I don't mean to say that there are no REAL Professionals out there... That would be a gross misrepresentation of those who DO the hard work, teach as well as continue to learn, and are driven by a love of the sport. I will always try to be one of those personally, and I'm guessing you will too!

Rockin signature by the way!

Well, it's a free world. You're free to focus on negative people and let them get the best of you or you're free to ignore them and make room to focus on positive people instead.

R..

Ego.

...there are some people who just don't have the modesty, humility

I had an American chap come on board a boat once like he owned the place. Fat, loud, and obviously rich due to the thousands of dollars worth of gear he brought on, we had him spotted before....

.... talk loudly about their extensive experience and number of dives and grow large amounts of facial hair and are generally disliked....

I agree with your worries about what you are walking into as a career path, after noting your other post on SB.

Sometimes not succumbing to an angry response to what you may perceive as and inflated "ego" would be a better path. Your observations and how you chose to interpret them are telling.

Don't fall victim to hubris. Maybe its just enough that you observe it, and then go on to treat them the same as everyone else. You will see a lot of odd behaviors in your coming years as a dive professional. Take notes- no one would believe it, but don't be too quick to deride- it wastes your energy and time.

You'll know when the good stuff really shows up. :shocked2:

I've dove with friends and strangers alike in far flung places and locally and I have to say that the vast majority of divers I meet (including the pros) are some of the nicest people I have met.

I have met a few of the over the top gung ho types (fools), but for me its been less than 1 in 20. I have only seen one dive pro act like an A$$ and it was a dude teaching kids at Anthoneys key resort. I watched him make three different kids cry on different days. But besides that one dude I can say its been a pretty positive experience for me.

Have you had this problem in other places beside Australia? I guess I have been lucky through my travels. Most of the instructors and DM's I have meet have been very friendly and easy to talk with.
I am just an AI but will finish the IDC at the end of Feb. All of my instructors have been very knowledgeable, easy to learn from, and with good attitudes. I hope I will come across the same way to my students.
When I am assisting with courses, some of the students feel easier talking with me, but I think some times they are intimidated by a teacher figure.

I do understand about the divers you meet on the different trips. When we were on a trip to Bonaire, there was a photographer (new diver + new camera) some what belittling my son for his small camera and strobe and how the pictures will not be that good and with time and a new camera he can take pictures like him. :dork2:My son was only 14 at the time with about 120 dives, when he takes pictures, he only takes pictures of something that might be special or he does not have one of yet. This means maybe 10 to 15 pictures per dive, if that many. His pictures are quite nice. Anyway, to make a long story short, my son just laughed it off, but when we were diving, my son was sure to point out to me how the guy was all over the reef. The DM had to warn the guy to quit laying on the coral to get his pictures. When we were back on the boat the guy was complaining about the fire coral he hit on the dive.

I guess some people are insecure and have to talk a big game to make up for thier insecurities.

I don't know, I guess it's just having worked in an area in Australia that has such a massive thoroughfare of people, I sometimes remember the jackazzes more than the thousands of great divers I have worked with.

Let me make a point here and say that I'm not trying to make myself sound like a hero, it's just that avoiding being a bonehead was drummed into me on my Instructor course, and because of that I have always been more aware of it.

And Doc - I treat everyone I meet on a case by case basis these days... Being presumptuous gets you pulled unstuck very quickly, as I learned very early on in the peace. Everyone is innocent till proven guilty :)

That's 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back............

Back
Top Bottom