Dive Vacation Question for Board

Dive vacations: Best month to travel?

• December: Tis the Season to be diving?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • January: Happy Scuba Year?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • February: Take a loved one diving?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • March/April: Spring diving fever?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • May: Take a deserving Mom?

• June: Don't forget Dad...

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • July, August: Schools out!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • September: Fall in the Islands...

• October: Halloween underwater?

• November: Take your turkey to go?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have asked about Roatan in December. I have been there during December and found it to be delightful (but admittedly, I think that Roatan any time other than rainy season is delightful). You will find that the rainy season is over and the visibility really isn't compromised too badly by run-off.

Re pricing, you can see some of CCV's most aggressive pricing at http://www.roatan.com/rates/ccv_lms.htm, where they list a $699 price for November 30-December 7 and December 14-21, and a group rate of $675 for minimum of 10 divers, and a comp with 15 paid.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing! If you wanted to or needed to, you probably could fill a few slots just with ScubaBoard readers . . .

I got a lot of feedback online and emailed and it was all positive. I looked for trips past, present and future and only found one that came close to this price!

I am going to confirm tomorrow and full steam ahead and no turning back...

As for any of you that want to join this trip please feel free to contact me by email or PM as you are certainly welcome. I will post the details with concrete numbers but I anticipate that it will be no more than $1099.00 air inclusive from Miami + hotel and departure tax and gratuities. Bar tabs and excursions are seperate. I am sure that any Whale Shark trips to Utila will be great as Stan Waterman is hosting that week at Coco View and that is surely in his viewfinder!

My LDS has agreed to host this because we his customers want exotic trips and he is unable to go due to his class and Florida trip scheduling with his students. He has given us his blessing and we are avoiding a shop markup and yet have the stability and backing of the shop who will administrate the trip and handle the monies.

As we the customers hardly know eachother due to a lack of trips you will fit right and in and not feel like an outsider.

As we live 4.5 hours from Miami we will all be driving to the airport. For any of you connecting in Miami you might want to come a few days early or stay a few days on your return to dive the Keys or West Palm. Just book your wraparound Miami RT appropriately.

Will post final trip details once I have it together...again, thanks to all of you who helped me decide to go for it!!!

Scubagatorgal - You may already be aware of these points, but to ensure the specifics of your forthcoming adventure in any written representations, you may want to be mindful of the following:

1. Resorts often count "nights" rather than days - in your first posting, you mention that it is for "7 days," which any reasonable person reads as one week. As I understand it, in travel parlance, 7 days/6 nights might have you arrive on Saturday and depart on Friday (days = Sa, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri = 7; nights = Sa, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs = 6). I believe that CCV's one-week rates are for 8 days/7 nights, as in the Waterman week is listed as 12/7 - 12/14 (i.e., Saturday to Saturday). Is your trip 8 days/7 nights or 7 days/6 nights?

2. The published prices at Coco View (and other Roatan facilities) DO NOT include the always popular 12% tax (see, for example, http://www.roatan.com/rates/honduras/CCV_rates.htm#Package Rates). You mention that the departure tax and gratuities as included, but that "departure tax" is not the Honduras 12% tax, so don't be surprised if the 12% tax gets tacked on as an addition to the $675 land-portion of the package. Also, Honduras, like many other countries, has a separate departure tax that, so I've been told, can only be paid by the traveler when he/she leaves the country ($25 or so, as I recall). CCV may have quoted you a price that includes that additional tax, in which case you're covered, but you may want to verify that.

Forgive me for belaboring these details if you already knew of them, but since this is your first adventure in group trip planning, I would like to make sure that it is a smooth and enjoyable experience for you!

Currently we are at 7 "nights" as a Saturday to Saturday. I will check into the costs of extending to Sunday.

I knew about the resort tax and departure tax---any other surprise costs?

Thanks for all the advice...it has helped immensely!

Originally posted by scubagatorgal
Taca's rate is $425.00.

Have you been there in December or know of anyone who has? The few trip reports from that time of year have all been favorable as to conditions.

It is a good time of year to see Whale Sharks, especially in Utila if you take the day trip. I am sure that is why Stan Waterman is going to be there that week lecturing and filming Whale Sharks and other cool things.

I have friends who go every year in December. They live in Denver, CO and really like getting away from the snow! They were there with Stan Waterman last year and loved it. This year they are both taking his class and hoping for Whale Sharks. I'll cross my fingers for ya!

You've got a great off-season price. We generally pay $1400pp (depending on TACA) for our high season Mar/Apr trips. We'd go with you if we could, I never get tired of CCV.....unless it's October! :D You're gonna love the shore diving!

You are right about the airlines! Taca charges 425.00 with restrictions and paid instantly...they are higher for group rates that allow you time to get deposits and pay closer to departure...

I am still negotiating and there is a new air carrier in the mix so I am hoping the $1099.00 will stand. Should know today or tommorrow at the latest...

If anyone from the board wants to go they will be welcome...I will post the final costs as soon as I know what exactly they are.

September-January is typically Hurricane and Typhoon season in most areas of the Caribean and South Pacific. It would be wise not to go out in the open ocean. I have encounter serious storms that would drive me insane not to mention seasick. A cruise would definitely be out of the question during this time.

Wait until the off season possibly March, April or May. As a travel business school grad I can tell you that the deals get better during this time. Prices are seriously low. And look into an all inclusive resort. One price pays for just about everything.

Originally posted by scubagatorgal
I got a lot of feedback online and emailed and it was all positive. I looked for trips past, present and future and only found one that came close to this price!

I am going to confirm tomorrow and full steam ahead and no turning back...

As for any of you that want to join this trip please feel free to contact me by email or PM as you are certainly welcome. I will post the details with concrete numbers but I anticipate that it will be no more than $1099.00 air inclusive from Miami + hotel and departure tax and gratuities. Bar tabs and excursions are seperate. I am sure that any Whale Shark trips to Utila will be great as Stan Waterman is hosting that week at Coco View and that is surely in his viewfinder!

My LDS has agreed to host this because we his customers want exotic trips and he is unable to go due to his class and Florida trip scheduling with his students. He has given us his blessing and we are avoiding a shop markup and yet have the stability and backing of the shop who will administrate the trip and handle the monies.

As we the customers hardly know eachother due to a lack of trips you will fit right and in and not feel like an outsider.

As we live 4.5 hours from Miami we will all be driving to the airport. For any of you connecting in Miami you might want to come a few days early or stay a few days on your return to dive the Keys or West Palm. Just book your wraparound Miami RT appropriately.

Will post final trip details once I have it together...again, thanks to all of you who helped me decide to go for it!!!

Glad to hear your going for it! I'd be in, if not for trips already scheduled, same time frame. Enjoy!, and make sure you post your fun:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom