Dive with martin, why so inexpensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi is right, they don't take your gear out of the bag. They just dunk the whole bag in the rinse tank and then store on floor of dive shop. Shop is very small so there is not much room. I have always been able to dive my computer and air limits, have never had a dive under 60 minutes. I didn't dive a 100 but a couple of divers on board did and they said they were not charged extra for them. They also gave all the divers a video of one of their dives for no charge. The only time I had cruise ship divers on board was during an afternoon dive. If you need to rent gear, they are the op to go with to save money. I usually stay at the Park Royal and walk over to their shop. I have to be there ready to leave by 7:00 so that they have time to pick up divers at other resorts. They are a very good dive op. I had to book with them online or by phone before I arrived. They said they didn't take cash or payment at the dive shop. This was a couple of years ago though, some there may be some changes.

I like to send my BC, fins, and pony for Dive Op storage, but I keep my masks, regs, computers, etc. to rinse myself anyway. My regs stay where I sleep.

All the low cost dive ops I've dove with have hired their employees as subcontractors. They don't pay SS and other taxes, so they charge less. Not sure how DWM does it.

Many of the employees at DWM have been there for years, since before we started diving with them. Martin treated his employees well when he was alive and the ones we use the most are still happy there. There has been several new employees join over the years, but I have no idea if they use any contract employees.

After Gabi and Opal's accident I made a point to ask about the social security and yes, they do pay it. I was glad to hear that.

Gear can be left with them from what I am told by an employee there, but they do not rinse it and hang it up for you - it stays in the wet bag

---------- Post added December 1st, 2013 at 11:02 AM ----------

I wouldn't say there are any "catches" but there ARE in fact big differences

Without e-mailing shops and asking for a customized quote on what your requests are and comparing what is actually offered, your price comparison is not really accurate.

Have a great trip - if you are looking for a safe no-frills operator - you'll have a great trip with DWM!

Hi, would you be able to tell me what differences there are between BlueXT and DWM, ie what the frills are that they are lacking? It would cost double to rent full gear and dive 5 days with BlueXT so I'm assuming there must be some differences that are not obvious just comparing price lists on both websites. For instance now thanks to a poster in this thread I know that Aldora provides 120cf tanks, dive computers, a valet service, and a club beach for surface intervals.. all things that DWM does not provide, but also all things not noted on their website.

we used to Dive with Martin before moving up to Blue Angel.

They have always had some of the lowest "cash only" prices on the island. I'm not sure if they are still running cash only or not.

We always enjoyed diving with them very much and only moved to the BA dive op initially because of the hotel/dive package when we moved from La Ceiba to BA...another story.

DWM is pretty much 'no frills', whatever that means, but good service. They provide good running six-pack boats, usually had snacks on the SI, water on the boat & the DM's and captains do their job very well on and in the water. We very much enjoyed diving with Orlando and David who are still with them and still get very good reviews.

From what I understand, the pricing differences between dive ops on the island have a lot to do with what they pay their
employees, how they pay them, if they pay taxes on them properly and of course benefit issues. It may be a little more complicated than that, adding in extra services some dive ops provide, overhead & such.

Pricing doesn't necessarily make a good dive op. A 'cheap' dive op can be just as good as a 'pricy' one.

It's what you want or expect out of the dive op & how safe they keep you once you are in the water that matters. From there, it's how much your budget will allow you to spend.

Does Coz even have Social Security?
Yes, but I figure local issues are between them. There are many things I'd like to see changed in Mexico, but it's their country.

Since you know the different shops and you have your dates locked in you may want to send emails to each shop with your rental needs, and get a individualized quote. Prices can change very dramatically if they still have a margin to work with. Make sure you send the same email to each shop so that you are comparing answers that are "apples to apples". Most shops have some kind of rental fleet, most seem to be able to get bigger tanks for the air suckers, and if its their gear then I guess it doesn't matter to you if they get all the salt water off.

You are contradicting their website:

8. Rinse and store your dive gear between dive days (based on available storage space)

You might take it a little easy. Doesn't seem a road we ought to go down, generally....

I am contradicting their website? Read what I wrote - it came directly from a high level, long term employee that is a friend of mine - I asked if they stored gear because we were sharing a customer one week and I needed to find out if I should drop their gear off or have the customer take it with him at the end of his week with us - that was the answer I got. So I guess that employee is the one contradicting their website.

Take it easy? I didn't say anything "wrong" or nasty. I was answering the question as was given to me from the horses mouth, without hesitation, without secret - just "well, we do but we don't rinse it or hang it - they can leave it at the shop if they don't want to take it back" - same thing they would tell a customer if asked. And said they would have a great time with them if that's what they were looking for!

And this was confirmed by someone else that is a happy loyal customer :D

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 12:43 PM ----------

Hi, would you be able to tell me what differences there are between BlueXT and DWM, ie what the frills are that they are lacking? It would cost double to rent full gear and dive 5 days with BlueXT so I'm assuming there must be some differences that are not obvious just comparing price lists on both websites. For instance now thanks to a poster in this thread I know that Aldora provides 120cf tanks, dive computers, a valet service, and a club beach for surface intervals.. all things that DWM does not provide, but also all things not noted on their website.

I will be happy to give you more information about our services and what WE offer via proper channels (e-mail info@bluextseadiving.com) - as you can see, to provide that information here would be looked upon by some as self promotion and/or "bashing" the "competition" which is not the case - only the SB regulars pit us against each other :D :D :D

As mentioned in my previous post, the best way to get accurate and reliable information is to e-mail the operations you are interested in directly, tell them what you are looking for, ask the questions you want, etc. It is impossible for us to address every situation, scenario, package, etc. on our websites - at least in my case, I am the owner and put custom quotes together based on specific needs, requests, etc. and have authority to make decisions :) So looking at websites give you generalities, not specifics.

Last edited:
Christi, I understand where you are coming from in reporting what you DWM employee pal told you but not every diver puts their gear into a bag. What happens to a divers gear thst is left for DWM staff to rinse and store but isn't in a bag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom