Dive x for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divnchuck

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I have a sierra and a hard travel case i bought from dive xtras. My question is i measured the case and it is about three linear inches to long according to airline checked baggage. Does anyone have one of these cases and are there measurements roughly 65 linear inches 62 is the max. And if so are the airlines that picky over 3 inches that i will have to pay the excessive bag fee.

If it's the big black wheeled case - depends. On first class I've never had a problem checking it in. Not tried it with passenger class. One would expect some hassles.

Additionally, the case + scooter is usually one pound over too.

We have traveled with our hard cases (in coach, but we are frequent flier MVPs). The airline didn't squawk at the dimensions, but we did pay overweight charges. The scooter, with battery, in those cases, is over 50 lbs. That's why we bought the soft-sided cases for them.

Have you traveled with the soft case? What does the total weight come out to? Do you worry about the Dive-X logo plastered across it?

divnchuck, we travel a little bit with our scooters. We use the hard case, and have never had an issue with anyone pulling out a tape measure.

Actually, I was surprised to see you'd come up with 65 inches; so I measured ours. If you measure from the extreme ends of the reinforcing ribs, sure enough, 65 inches. Measuring the bulk of the body is about 61.5 inches. Since no one has gone all "size Nazi" on us with a tape (in about 6-7 years), we will continue to travel with them.

Chris, we used a soft pack for a couple of trips:

Scooter_Soft_Pack.jpg

IIRC it was 49 lbs total with a standard Sierra nose/tail/battery. We had to leave the charger and instrument console out of the bag to stay under 50 lbs.

It protected things well enough, albeit the part of the case that is over the motor took some abuse. Never had a problem with the "Dive-X" logo on the outside.

Ended up selling it because we switched to Cudas, and the Cuda motor protruded a bit too much for the soft pack. Now we place the Cuda tail, charger, battery and some clothes in the hard pack, and the nose goes inside the bag with dive gear.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom