DiveAssure - terrible customer service/claims service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone explain what a "liveaboard rider" is?
Also, why someone would choose the "primary" over the "secondary" coverage?

We're planning a liveaboard trip this year and I feel like a complete novice on these insurance matters.
Thanks.

@kablooey The biggest one that other policies would not cover is if there were a dive accident with another passenger that required the boat to turn around/change its plans. Most policies cover things that happen to just you or your travel companion/family. Mechanical issues whether that is engine/boat, air supply, etc. is also covered. A good op would at least pro-rate the trip based on what you were able to do but I have also read of some disasters happening on a boat where the op really ran and left people SOL. You also get coverage for lost diving days due to weather or if you are sick, but those also apply for their regular coverage under Dive Assure.

Most policies cover financial default and trip interruption and cancellation but the liveaboard rider also covers catch-up to the liveaboard. Some policies also include that, but not many or all, so double check.

Primary means they will pay out first, no questions asked, if you make a claim and can support it with the required documentation and information. Secondary means they will still pay, but they want you to claim with your health insurance or whatever options you have first then the remainder, they will pick up. I always buy secondary and have made a claim and it wasn't an issue. You just need to be up front with what you have and go through other avenues first and whatever they don't pick up, they will pick up for you. If you have no primary for that particular aspect of coverage, then they will pick it up.

@kablooey The biggest one that other policies would not cover is if there were a dive accident with another passenger that required the boat to turn around/change its plans. Most policies cover things that happen to just you or your travel companion/family. Mechanical issues whether that is engine/boat, air supply, etc. is also covered. A good op would at least pro-rate the trip based on what you were able to do but I have also read of some disasters happening on a boat where the op really ran and left people SOL. You also get coverage for lost diving days due to weather or if you are sick, but those also apply for their regular coverage under Dive Assure.

Most policies cover financial default and trip interruption and cancellation but the liveaboard rider also covers catch-up to the liveaboard. Some policies also include that, but not many or all, so double check.

Primary means they will pay out first, no questions asked, if you make a claim and can support it with the required documentation and information. Secondary means they will still pay, but they want you to claim with your health insurance or whatever options you have first then the remainder, they will pick up. I always buy secondary and have made a claim and it wasn't an issue. You just need to be up front with what you have and go through other avenues first and whatever they don't pick up, they will pick up for you. If you have no primary for that particular aspect of coverage, then they will pick it up.

And just to add to the Primary vs Secondary aspect of it: We recently had a serious dive accident abroad that required emergency evacuation and a hospital stay, and while we have extremely good health insurance here at home, and also had TWO separate dive insurance policies, because the domestic carrier considered the accident Out of Network (OON), and two dive policies were both "secondary", we had to use credit cards for a very substantial deposit at time of admission. We now have to wait for all the billing to go through the process to get reimbursed, which may take several months. And a result, from now on, I will always purchase "primary" versus "secondary. So while this may or may not happen in every instance in different parts of the world, be aware it is a possibility. I will also add that buying Secondary instead of Primary for the Travel/Trip cancellation portion is not that big a deal, but for the Medical and Emergency Evac portion of it, it could be a very big deal. YMMV.

I will also add that buying Secondary instead of Primary for the Travel/Trip cancellation portion is not that big a deal, but for the Medical and Emergency Evac portion of it, it could be a very big deal. YMMV.

I hope everyone is OK. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Re: primary instead of secondary for medical/medievac portion, as it pertained to your situation, a lot of travel insurance and medical insurance providers still consider scuba diving excluded or if they will pay, will only pay out a maximum amount for it and it is usually very low. The coverage I have seen usually only covers $15-30K., but many times those are also reimbursement based and not direct payments. There are few that do direct payments if it's at a partnered/affiliated hospital such as with Geo Blue even internationally (blue shield/blue cross). I know DAN dive accident is secondary coverage but I know they also pay direct as I know people who have had the unfortunate experience of needing their assistance. It is definitely a YMMV thing.

About how much does a rider like that cost please?

About how much does a rider like that cost please?

I ran a dummy quote to find out. Assuming I paid a trip deposit today and leave tomorrow, June 4, 2019 and get coverage through June 10, 2019 and have a trip cancellation coverage of about $5,000, going to Indonesia, and someone in their early 30's..
  • Without rider
    • Deluxe, Secondary is $191, Primary $255
    • Elite, Secondary is $276, Primary is $368
  • With rider
    • Deluxe, Secondary is $230, Primary is $306
    • Elite, Secondary is $331, Primary is $442.
  • Rider requires Deluxe or Elite plans. For standard plan, no possibility of a rider, but all the other travel insurance/accident benefits, the quote is as follows:
    • Standard, secondary is $137, primary is $183.
https://diveassure.com/en/travel-insurance/the-liveaboard-rider-exclusive-liveaboard-trip-insurance/

I swear I am not employed by and/or do have any affiliation with Dive Assure...lol. I am purely a customer. Do note that it doesn't cover you stateside and is only good for international travel with a few country exclusions. I carry DAN dive accident (good for domestic and int'l), buy Dive Assure for int'l trips (including liveaboards and resort based), have private health insurance at home which does cover internationally but not as great as Geo Blue, and also buy Geo Blue Traveler medical $1M $0 deductible for international trips wherever I go.

I ran a dummy quote to find out. Assuming I paid a trip deposit today and leave tomorrow, June 4, 2019 and get coverage through June 10, 2019 and have a trip cancellation coverage of about $5,000, going to Indonesia, and someone in their early 30's..
  • Without rider
    • Deluxe, Secondary is $191, Primary $255
    • Elite, Secondary is $276, Primary is $368
  • With rider
    • Deluxe, Secondary is $230, Primary is $306
    • Elite, Secondary is $331, Primary is $442.
  • Rider requires Deluxe or Elite plans. For standard plan, no possibility of a rider, but all the other travel insurance/accident benefits, the quote is as follows:
    • Standard, secondary is $137, primary is $183.
https://diveassure.com/en/travel-insurance/the-liveaboard-rider-exclusive-liveaboard-trip-insurance/

I swear I am not employed by and/or do have any affiliation with Dive Assure...lol. I am purely a customer. Do note that it doesn't cover you stateside and is only good for international travel with a few country exclusions. I carry DAN dive accident (good for domestic and int'l), buy Dive Assure for int'l trips (including liveaboards and resort based), have private health insurance at home which does cover internationally but not as great as Geo Blue, and also buy Geo Blue Traveler medical $1M $0 deductible for international trips wherever I go.

Thanks for the above.

Have you ever had to make a claim on Geo Blue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom