Divecon shop affiliation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterjoe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can help me out? I currently have an AOW certification with SSI and would like to become a Divecon. I understand that you are required to have a shop affiliation to do so. I know that this sounds like a stupid question but, does this mean that you need to be employed by the dive shop? Or if not, what would be the affiliation? Also, is a shop affiliation required to become a Divemaster with SSI?

Thanks!

Not a stupid question by any means.

Affiliation with a shop means you teach (or assist) through that shop, not on your own. You don't necessarily have to also work for the shop in any other capacity (sales, service, fills, etc.). But you can't teach (or assist) SSI courses without a formal shop affiliation (the shop lists you in SSI's database as affiliated with them).

To be issued the DiveMaster or DiveGuide or DiveCon ratings you have to show you have professional insurance. One of the benefits of affiliation can be getting your professional insurance as a member of a shop-wide policy, which makes it many times cheaper than insurance issued to an invidividual instructor with another agency such as PADI.

-Bryan

PS. An SSI DSCI or IT at a given shop can train you up to DiveCon, but you can choose which shop you affiliate with in order to work. You can change your affiliation.

I'll add one more bit. I used to o 1099 work for a shop where I lived and now I have moved. I have not yet made up my mind where I want to affiliate. SSI has me affiliated with the SSI HQ for now. I pay my own liability insurance (for various reasons) so that is not an issue. This way you can stay in teaching (or DiveCon) status, keep up your insurance, but not necessarily teach for an affiliate (if you need a temporary break for example).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom