Divemaster Class with BP & Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The instructor for my DM class says that PADI will not allow me to take the class with a backplate (with transplate harness), and I must have a standard BC or a BC with wings (transpac or the like). Is this the case or is it just him?

Your instructor is not quite correct.

PADI does, however, encourage a D/M or instructor candidate to dive in gear which is similar to that which the students will be wearing.

the K

I had some issue going through DM class with my set-up...my instructor didn't want the air 2 only set up on my gear so i had to re attach my octo and when i do use the bp/w others on the staff insist i wear lead when in fact i am over weighted enough with the plate and no wet suit. Sometimes you just have to say ok...whatever you want.

How can you demonstrate some of the skills if you are not using similar equipment as the students? What you use whilst diving for "fun" is one thing but whereas I have not seen anywhere that you cannot use your backplate for assisting, personally I would ask any DM 's of mine to use a conventional bcd or wing when assisting me in a class, and I have done so.
pwwm

i think its unfair to students not to be able to see different configs and gear. let them make the choice for themselves as to what bc to use and not want to use. i can't think of a skill that students do that your not able to do in a bp/w.

Chris,

I'm an avid proponent of the BP/Wing setup.

One thing I so tire of hearing is that it is a "tech" setup!

Many, many years ago a bp/wing was the only thing available to recreational divers (albeit a bit more "neanderthal").

I can find no difference between a back inflation recreational B/C and a bp/wing combo. It's just that the bp/wing doesn't have all of the other "stuff" attached to it.

the K

The shop I'm doing my DM with is OK with DM using BP/W as part of the class because they want the students to be exposed to several different gear configurations. I think this makes sense from a teaching aspect and a business aspect:

- Not everyone in the OW class will have "primary + octo" especially if they are diving with their own new equip, which could include an array of configs, including BP/W, Air2, etc

- Not everyone in the world that you might dive with will have the "student" setup used in a class. Best to be exposed to all the different types of configs early on in case you buddy with someone with a different config than yours

- Not everyone who starts diving knows what gear they want from the get go, so by exposing the students to a wider range in the class an LDS is more likely to help students see what's out there and make up their mind.

Typically the instructor will wear "the student rig" in order to demo the skills, and if the DM is wearing something different (7' hose, Air2, whatever) the instructor will then point out the differences in the configuration and then ask the DM to demo.

This is especially useful if someone in the class has the same gear as the DM, because they can see how it's done.

When I did my OW there was a guy in the class who bought all his gear prior to pool sessions. He had an Air2, so the instructor made us all buddy with him at some point to see how the skills - esp OOA - would be done with that setup. Very smart, because you may end up as a real buddy with someone with that config someday.

Its true, when I learned to dive 25 years ago, I learned on a backmount BCD, which has no fundimental diferences from the modern BP/W.

There are some good threads in I2I about the teaching BP/W and Hogarthian rigs in the teaching environment. You might want to check that out Chris.

Good post, RJP

. . . makes very, very good sense.

the K

Even in the padi open water video they demonstrate OOA with an air 2 being used. Alot of people don't realize PADI does that...you don't have to have a primary + octo set up...there is more out there.

Back
Top Bottom