Divemaster Course On A Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isa on Tracks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!

Anyone knows or have heard of a liveaboard in which I could do my divemaster between May and June? I am pretty flexible whereas location is concerned. South east Asia or Pacific.
I have dived in many great sites, Komodo, Surin and Similan islands, Vanuatu, Maldives and just came back from Raja Ampat which was really good.

Many thanks!

Hi Isa on the Tracks,

I agree, a liveaboard would be a nice way to do your DM. But you need course work going on while aboard so you can do your internship, confirming that may be the hard part.

For what my two cents are worth and in my experience, most divers on liveaboards are there to dive, not do course work. Sure I see Nitrox courses going on, but a rescue course? Maybe I'm wrong though. There's also the matter of cruise length most are 7-11 nights long, you'll need more than that to complete the course, more like 19-30 days plus. I guess you could do back to back trips, but again you'll need to confirm course work will be taught on the boat.

Here's a thought, it's not a complete liveaboard solution, but some of the dive centers in Komodo also have 3/4 night trips, maybe you can intern on one of those, filling in the course work at the shop and on the day trips?

Good luck and I hope you are able to find something that fits you needs.

Thanks for your reply GoinDivin! This is exactly where I am at since yesterday, speaking with the diveshops in Labuan Bajo that indeed can send you work on their liveaboard in Komodo for 1 or 2 weeks.

I was also wondering about the Gili to Komodo cruises, do you know some good dive shops that have both land and liveaboard operations? I am currently writing to a few of them without really knowing which one is good in this area. Most online reviews are usually from fun divers.

Many thanks!

I was also wondering about the Gili to Komodo cruises, do you know some good dive shops that have both land and liveaboard operations? I am currently writing to a few of them without really knowing which one is good in this area. Most online reviews are usually from fun divers. Many thanks![/QUOT has a

All 4 diving has a dive center in Bali, I think they do course work and trips to Nusa Penida, north Bali and books a liveaboard to Komodo.

Bali Scuba does DM courses and they have a shop in Labuan Bajo, maybe you could split your time? But they don't have a liveaboard that I know of.

You can try Wicked diving they are a budget backpacker style boat, they may do courses?

I think the Gili's are mostly land based, but I'm not 100%.

Good luck

Hi,
Scuba Froggy announced that "Starting from June 2016 they offer diving safari Flores-Komodo on the safest liveaboard in Indonesia":) Suppose they may be considered as an option in your search.

As far as I know, no dive shops do live aboard only DMT courses. That said, just about any dive shop that runs liveaboards will let you go on the liveaboard as part of your DMT. I remember when I was researching shops in Similian Islands, Thailand most of the shops offered 1-2 liveaboard trips as part of the package.

Keep in mind Flores has strong currents, I did my DMT in a place with strong current (Nusa Lembongan) and really enjoyed it as it gave a lot of experience with current based dives. Just make sure any school you're going to gets enough OW courses through the door so you can assist more than once.

Enjoy your DMT!

Back
Top Bottom