Divemaster exam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KMBahrami

New
Reaction score
I am doing the elearning DM course and will be working on the skills part with a local dive shop this spring and summer. I will be taking the exam at the shop. I'm hoping to get some input on what areas to study "extra" on before taking the exam. Anyone having taken the new two part exam that might have some advice? Thanks in advance.

wow endurodog good write-up on the DM class,
as for suggestions, I'd say study the tissue loading carefully, matter of fact make that the whole encyclopedia of diving book. At first I started just scanning it and highlighting the important things I saw, but after a couple of chapters I found I was taking pages notes. Glad I did because it ended up helping me when I finally took my exam.
another thought, when working on your skills i found that by taking someone who isn't scuba certified and demoing the skills for them (on the surface) really helped, they would ask me questions while i was performing the skills and I'd could take their input and tweak my movements so they could understand what i was doing.

Thanks cappie, it's the kind of info I was looking for when I started the DM program, and even before when considering it.

Newly certified DM here, just took the exams in February. I did not do the academics via eLearning, but via book and lecture. As far as I can tell, there were no questions that came from the Encyclopedia. Every question on the exam could be answered with knowledge from the DM book or Instructors Manual.

Now that's not to say I didn't read the Encyclopedia out of self interest to make myself a better/more knowledgeable DM, I did, but with the new less physics intensive academics I don't think studying it is necessary.

This was of course the new DM curriculum that has a lot of the physics removed as has been mentioned elsewhere on the board.

Use all the media available to you, whether that is your DM manual, cd's, encyclopedia, the work book etc.

I won't say what would or wouldn't be in the exam, but read and digest everything. Ask your instructor questions.......

The last DM candiate I certified (3 weeks ago) spent a lot of time with me going over stuff again and again until he and I were confident he didn't "know it", he understood it. BTW, he scored 92% on the exams. The couple he missed were cases of RTFQ - Read The F""@*ing Question

I know this has been discussed and answered before so my apologies as I cannot find the answer via search. I am going to start prepping for PADI DM this summer and in addition to the great suggestions here and the linked thread above, I am simply going to work on swim tests and times based directly on the requirements in the DM manual.

To that end, PADI seems to equate meters and yards without making an allowance for times. If I am correct in that understanding, why would I ever want to do yards instead of meters? On the 400M swim, doing it in yards would add an extra almost 40 yards in distance without an allowance for time. I have read that this is dependent on the DM Instructor's discretion.

Additionally, if the swim skills require "non-stop" do candidates general swim in a pattern around the edge of the pool (i.e. always moving forward) or do they go wall-to-wall and reverse themselves back and forth?

I know this has been discussed and answered before so my apologies as I cannot find the answer via search. I am going to start prepping for PADI DM this summer and in addition to the great suggestions here and the linked thread above, I am simply going to work on swim tests and times based directly on the requirements in the DM manual.

To that end, PADI seems to equate meters and yards without making an allowance for times. If I am correct in that understanding, why would I ever want to do yards instead of meters? On the 400M swim, doing it in yards would add an extra almost 40 yards in distance without an allowance for time. I have read that this is dependent on the DM Instructor's discretion.

Additionally, if the swim skills require "non-stop" do candidates general swim in a pattern around the edge of the pool (i.e. always moving forward) or do they go wall-to-wall and reverse themselves back and forth?

I think you meant that doing the swim in meters would add 37 yards. 400 meters = 437.45 yards. 400 yards = 365.76 meters.
So, the real test is when the instructor says do you want to do it in yards or meters. Anyone answering meters is deducted a point for judgement. :confused::D

The times I saw are different depending on yards or meters swam. Both are 400 on the one swim but adjusted times depending on yards or meters. It was outlined in my DM material

For clarification on metres vs yards

400m

400yds

Time

Time

Under 6.30 min​

5​

Under 6 min​

6.30 to 8.40 mins​

4​

6 to 8 mins​

8.40 to 11 mins​