Divemaster & IDC in the Caribbean - where to go? Advice on places in DR or Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi fellow divers,

I'm new to this forum but have looked through loads of threads and can tell there are loads of really experienced people around, I'd really really appreciate your advice!

I'm an advanced diver, doing my rescue in August in Barbados. The reason for that is that I've got a very good friend running a dive shop there, but I don't wish to do my DR & IDC in Barbados. After my rescue I wish to find the right dive shop in the Caribbean for an internship as a DM and eventually IDC - I want to go the full way! The reason I'm looking at Dominican Republic is because I've got work opportunity there involving underwater filming (I'm a film/TV producer), but I've also heard great things about the diving in Bahamas.

Where is the best place and dive shop to do an internship like this in the Caribbean? Please feel free to recommend other places in the Caribbean, al though my main focus is at DR, I'd happily consider elsewhere if highly recommended. I've contacted a few places, but it is so hard to tell what's good and what's not.

Any dive shop that also teaches conservation would be absolutely perfect, as that's where my heart lies.

Has anyone got experience with Coral Point diving? PADI IDC 5 Star Dive Center in Bayahibe - Marine Research - Dominican Republic - dive training, snorkeling excursions to Saona, Catalina, Catalinita, sharks and dolphins with Coral Point Diving

Thanks guys - super eager to get started and would really appreciate some guidance!!

Happy diving!

Cheers,
Jen

Sail Caribbean Divers in the British Virgin Islands has a very good outfit. That is where I received my Rescue and Divemaster certifications. They also host 2 IDC's a year. Check them out!

Just a question if your goal is underwater filming why not spend the time and effort developing your dive skills by diving and not learning how to teach? Going the instructor route doesn't seem to fit your goal. If your focus is Dominican Republic spend the money diving there and learning the area. Just my two cents.

Contact Dressel Divers. They have operations in the DR, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Jamaica. They offer the absolute best DM/IDC internship program that I know of. Everything paid, room and board in exchange for a certain number of months working with them and then pretty much guaranteed work afterward.

Free PADI DIVEMASTER INTERNSHIP with Dressel Divers

Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone! I'm in touch with Coral Point Diving in DR who also encouraged interns to join their biologists/student working on their coral nursery. Perfect match! Anyone got experience with them at all?

To answer to your two cents, NorCalDM - the reason I want to do my DM & eventually IDC is because if you work with underwater photography/film in features/TV etc. you need to be an instructor to be allowed underwater during filming for health & safety reasons, or to support/teach actors. Plus, if I ever feel like a gate away from everything, I could just go and teach. It feels like the right step in life.

Thanks again!
xJen

I'm a little bias Jen as I work here but we have an established program at PADI Divemaster & Scuba Instructor (IDC) Courses & Internships | GoPro Utila | Bay Islands Honduras | Caribbean and Central America and give you a lot of dives, time in the water, experience assisting on classes and we have a program that supports CoralWatch.org, we're not just about minimum standards and there's a lot of specialized programs we offer as well, such as sidemount, rebreather etc...

I'm actually interning myself right now in La Paz, Mexico with www.lukeinman.com and learning more on underwater videography and editing, and you could take dives/time for yourself on Utila to build your experience in this area.

Send us an email for more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom