Divemaster internship available, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnscubadiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A shop in thailand called
phi phi scuba diving center (ppscuba.com) Found it on toucher.net are offering an internship training thing
takes me from advanced to dive master in 4 months without paying the courses and aparenty I will guide divers for them in return anyone out there done anything like it ??

Be very careful. I looked at the same type of "DEALS" and found that room/ board are _not included_ your on the hook for that better have loot with you, pre-arranged bail out airfare ,all REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION visa`s permits ........research the place , find out what the local George Bush (warlord type dude ) feels about people coming from wherever you which political party is about to over throw who are oh yeah don`t forget about the murderous weather ,floods ,tsunamis and they kill people over there with machete`s and other things like that . are you a hot chick? if so add that to the mix and then think about where you want to go...after all that you will get screwed , ther is a good chance you will get screwed,did I mention that you will get screwed oh I forgot...they will screw you.

Also the "free"training you will get there isn`t worth it.

REMEMBER free is good for a working t.v., stereo, definately beer and sometimes puppies.

:cheers:

Don`t sacrifice training for the allure of a free PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION not when you want to be where we are now. maybe you can try sending a C.V. to places like: info@prodivemex.com genevieve.sparg@prodiveusa.com

I am a PADI DIVE MASTER Currently doing the ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR ( one more pool session) program. I am Canadian (not that it matters) diving in the beautiful waters off Vancouver Island.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for info, can't find the divemaster intern info on the page. Though they look decent, PADI opperated and all. If you plan to do it, we should go togeather, watch each others backs :wink:

Sounds like a good idea, I have called them since and it sounds like what I want lots of experence not just the dm badge

I hope that you have a great experience, truly I do . making contact with the shop was a brilliant idea I wasn`t trying to slag anyone (shop`s or PADI ) just a personal experience thing . As a concerned diver ( we are all buddies right) I will always preach caution . Going with some one is a very good idea like marquall suggested ...dude the only thing to do really is measure it yourself you will have a blast and the area is friggin awesome but truly take as much loot as you can save , and the weather is really *******`in something to be prepared for.

Dive Safe

Hey guys,
I've actually done the intership with PhiPhi Scuba Diving Center on PhiPhi Island, Thailand.
If you want the real story, here it is...

First of all, Thailand is called the land of smile and it's not for nothing, the people are friendly and compared to other countries, there is relatively few horror stories, so if you don't show off, wearing all kind of jewlery and flahing your big wallet around, drunk, in the smallest, darkest alley you can find, you should not have too much problems lol
It is not perfect, nothing is, but Just use some common sense and you should be fine.

I will talk a bit about cost so for your information, currently,
1$ Us = (about) 30baht

It is true that boarding and grooming is not included, so you need to have enough money to take care of that and to buy your way back home afterwards.

From April to september (low season) you will spend around 8,000baht a month on rent. High season, October to May, it will go up to about 12,000bath/Month.
You have to realize that this is Thailand, so do not expect Europeen/American standards, I'm talking about basic accomodation, a room with a bed and a toilet with cold shower.
Cold being relative since the water aroud here is always aroud 30 degrees celcius.
Air conditionning is possible but if you plan on staying here for a long time, I would suggest you take fan only otherwise heat of the days will be harder to bear.
The electricity is very expensive here since the island is not connected to the mainland.
That explains why, if you insist on having AC, Fridge, TV ... you can expect to pay quite a bit more. Same goes for food. If your are happy to eat Thai food, you can plan on spending a maximum of 500baht a day. If you want the same as you are used to back home, be prapared to pay many times that.

Then, for the internship itself:
Depending on your current qualification, the lenght of your internship will vary a bit, but it should be around 4 months if you are already Advanced Open Water.
Your are not paying for the courses or for the dives.
In exchange, you will be expected to help on the boat and around the shop.

On the boat, that means talking to the clients, help setup equipment for the clients, follow and help maintain group cohesion underwater and clean up after the dives.

In the shop, you will be expected to pack the bags for the next day.
I did it two ways, either by myself, taking turns, 3 to 4 hours 3 or 4 times a week.
Or as a group 1 to 2 hours every night.

Either way it is not excessive work for all the fun that you get diving and the free course.

It is actually the main advantage of the internship, you are ACTUALLY doing the job that you will do after certification, so you are not only getting a course, you are already gaining experience.

The argument that I heard most often againts it is that you are not saving any money because if you pay for it you can do it quicker and make up that cash working afterward.

While this is true, what they are not saying is that nobody will hire you if you have only the minimum amout of dives and no experience, which is what you are getting if you pay for it.

Also, there is quite a bit of theory to learn and of course if you are paying you will want to get trought it as fast as possible and will not retain as much as if you take your time to assimilate it and put it in practice. This is particularly important if you plan to do your Instructor course afterwards, because you will be retested on all of it and if you skipped on study time it will definitely show and you might end up having to pay for a second instructor exam.

With the internship you will get as many dives as you are willing to make in that 4 months.
Since you will want to take some days off to be safe and healthy, you can expect to do around 200+ dives by the end of the internship. Plus you will learn basic equipment maintenance and how a dive shop actually runs. You will also be assisting instructors in real life settings and if you are interested and pay proper attention, you will pick up a lot from them.

If your are still in dought, when you shop around, just ask them how much it will cost you to gain that kind of experience.

I don't know about other shop and other offer elsewhere, but for my part I really liked the experience and I'll recommend the internship with PhiPhi scuba dinving center to anybody who is interested.

Did I forget to mention that the Diving is just incredible ???

Dive Safe and Have Fun.
And maybe I'll see you around :)

Im on my way to phi phi island now to start my internship Zeddkus when dd you do yours?

I did mine from January to April 2008, so in full High season.
The island was very busy and the weather was just perfect :)

I am here on phi phi now having a great time night life is wicked which can be a problem ,
the internship is a lot to learn but the diving is great I have been really lucky according to the staff
here as i have already seen a whale shark!!!
been here 2 weeks and iv done 24 dives going well will keep this post up if i remember

Back
Top Bottom