Divemaster = Solo Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notice no depth limit and requirement for other classes. The fundamentals, as I was trained, included using common sense and experience to avoid accidents. Of course that was back when SCUBA was dangerous and could get you killed if you didn't keep your wits about you.

Not like now, where SCUBA is completely safe. :cool:

I get in trouble a few times a year for using the "D" word in class. Apparently it's not PC to tell the students "If you do <insert stupid move here>, there's a good chance you'll die or spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair."

It's like if there were "Being near bears" classes and in the past, the class covered how to not annoy the bear and how to run like hell before it woke up and what to do it it cornered you, and now the classes just show a picture of Yogi Bear and a smiley face and say "Follow me, everything will be OK"

flots.

---------- Post added October 10th, 2013 at 02:38 PM ----------

When they were "trained" the instructor said they couldn't go there without another class or two.

People are always taken a little off guard when they show up on the dive boat and say "We want to go deep" and I say "The middle of the lake is that way. It bottoms out a little less than 400'. Take a dive flag, don't run out of air and be back before we leave."

They're expecting someone to take them there and it doesn't happen.

Once they discover that "going deep" is just them and a buddy and nobody is going to "keep them safe", they tend to hang out in the shallows and watch the fish. :D

---------- Post added October 10th, 2013 at 02:45 PM ----------

Hey, quarries are dangerous...

No kidding. Based on the level of terror in the student's eyes, I keep looking for sea monsters and aliens.

I'm starting to think I'm missing something dangerous in there.

Last edited:
It is the evil blue gills. Those bastards will take off an ear if you are not careful...

Had got a reply from them. Looks like I would at least need to have a solo diver cert to get covered during my leisure dives.

Are you talking about DAN here? That is, did DAN tell you they won't cover you if something happens to you while diving solo unless you have a solo card?

if I would like to go for solo dive and the diveshop requires my cert for solo dive, but I do not have but I have a divemaster cert. Am I allow to rent the tank and go for solo diving?

If you're a divemaster, you'll be able to reference the specific solo training you were given during your DM course..... won't you?

If not, why would you assume that DM qualification gave you anything other than the ability to perform DM duties?

---------- Post added October 11th, 2013 at 04:47 PM ----------

i did ask my instructor if I can take solo diving and he told me, divemaster can go solo diving...

That'd be odd (read:"b%llsh$t"), considering PADI has a specific training course for solo/self-sufficient diving; in which the benefits for DMs/instructors is specifically mentioned. None of that Self-Reliant Diver Course syllabus is featured in the DM course...

PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor Manual:
B. Who should develop self-reliant diving skills and why?

1. Instructors and Divemasters

a. Instructors and divemasters are often with a group of students or certified divers exploring the local dive sites, however, they may not have a specific dive buddy.

b. Being self-sufficient and self-reliant provides the skill set needed for instructors and divemasters to respond to emergencies independently.

Indeed, many noobie DMs won't even have the experience pre-requisite to even enroll on that course (100 min dives)...

psrdsc_brochure.jpg

(Addendum note: what a bollocks photo to use in a marketing photo... well done PADI... again... sigh)

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for your points. I knew that DM didn't have any "Solo" instruction....but any moderately experienced DM or Instructor does a solo dive every dive. I think the difference is that they're doing "solo" dives in controlled, "easy" environments where there are plenty of knowns and few unknowns. My dives as a DM were typically in an area I was very familiar with, in shallow-ish water (20-25ft), and decent conditions. I had might as well be diving solo, as you can't count on students (I was assisting an instructor, but too far away for him to be much good to me). The difference is I wasn't DIVING. I was babysitting while submerged. The dangers of a "real" dive are much greater while solo, and the skills from a true "solo" dive are such that they would transfer and help an instructor/DM in his "solo" "dives". They are distinctly separate courses of training, and one cannot assume that because you're a MSDT you're a solo diver. It's like assuming that because you're an MSDT, you are a cave diver. They're different training paths.

Now, about PADI's wonderful marketing photo: I see nothing wrong. His hose routing is tidy. His tanks are in good trim. He is in good trim. His reg looks like its hose is comfortably angling his reg into his mouth. He has no extra second stages, because 3 would be crazy on two tanks. Plus, he's diving Yoke....which everybody KNOWS is the safest connection around. Also, his SPG's are clearly visible and in a location where he can check them easily.

No, wait....I think I pointed out the opposite of good. Either I was wrong above, or I'm an AWFUL sidemount diver :D

The number of dive isn't an issue for me, as I had ard 80 dives before I enroll for DM course. But I still need more practices underwater. I had just saw a clip on YouTube on how to share air and do all the drills with a single tank with a buddy!!! I'm not sure if I am able to do it with high confident as I never tried it before.

I can do all the skills, but with an added element of air sharing while performing the drills, it's looks pretty hard.

Andy, thanks for your points. I knew that DM didn't have any "Solo" instruction....but any moderately experienced DM or Instructor does a solo dive every dive.

I can't think of better buddies for an instructor than a half dozen students who have done nothing but practice skills for the last 7 or 8 classes.

DM on the other hand, should require a solo cert. You never know who you're going to get.

if I would like to go for solo dive and the diveshop requires my cert for solo dive, but I do not have but I have a divemaster cert.
I had just saw a clip on YouTube on how to share air and do all the drills with a single tank with a buddy!!! I'm not sure if I am able to do it with high confident as I never tried it before.

I can do all the skills, but with an added element of air sharing while performing the drills, it's looks pretty hard.
Do you have a DM cert or not?
Air sharing (buddy breathing) has been a part of the DM certification for a very long times. It happens during the equipment exchange and if not fimilar with the skill your instructor should have taught it to you.

Now, about PADI's wonderful marketing photo: I see nothing wrong. His hose routing is tidy. His tanks are in good trim. He is in good trim. His reg looks like its hose is comfortably angling his reg into his mouth. He has no extra second stages, because 3 would be crazy on two tanks. Plus, he's diving Yoke....which everybody KNOWS is the safest connection around. Also, his SPG's are clearly visible and in a location where he can check them easily.

No, wait....I think I pointed out the opposite of good. Either I was wrong above, or I'm an AWFUL sidemount diver :D
There is proper sidemount diving (not shown), stage diving where the 'sidemount' cylinders are under the arm pit (not shown) and 'cluster' diving. SHOWN

i did ask my instructor if I can take solo diving and he told me, divemaster can go solo diving...

Anyone can go solo diving, I've been doing it for over 50 years. Not only am I not a DM, for the first 17 years I soloed without a c-card.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom